Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times

Advertisements

In another post you were spending unhatched eggs. It is up to the person owning funds in whatever shape to share it. Not like in Europe:>(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 11:51 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm wondering how you all feel about that?

I have read a few articles about all the stickiness of this issue regarding wills and inheritance.

It's a divisive issue.
If there was no reason given to why there was an unequal division, I would wonder - was she "the favorite", did I disappoint them in some way, did they not love me as much, etc. I would have an emotional reaction to why they didn't see us as being equally deserving versus the amount.

Greed will tear a family apart, if you allow it. So don't allow it. You each ended up with the amount that your parents intended for you to have. You need to come to terms with that and not let it affect your relationship with your siblings.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
This is just a continuation of the parent's dilemma - we have to give to each child what they need, when they need it, according to the best of our ability.

Kid 1 married well, is rich. Kid 2 is poor. Parents write a will that mentions kid 1 with love, gives lots of sentimental items to kid 1, gives the money to kid 2.

Kid A was given a lot of money during parent's life. Kid B gets money in the will.

It's just how parents think.

Personally, if a kid came and asked for money "against my inheritance", I would only give it if I wanted to, AND I WOULD LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I AM GIVING THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT TO ALL THE OTHER KIDS RIGHT THEN AND THERE. That way, the asking kid understands that they're not gonna get a penny more than the others by draining the parent early. And the only way parent should do it is if they can easily afford it.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Most lawyers advise against a parent doing this, as it can create significant problems later on. If there is a large amount at stake, (millions) one of the siblings could contest the will, which could lead to a protracted legal battle. Parents are better off dividing it in equal portions for each sibling.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there was no reason given to why there was an unequal division, I would wonder - was she "the favorite", did I disappoint them in some way, did they not love me as much, etc. I would have an emotional reaction to why they didn't see us as being equally deserving versus the amount. .
That is why a parent would be wise to state in their will, exactly why they are giving less to one sibling than the other. So that the kids will know and won't be left wondering why, because those questions can't be answered from the grave.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:45 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Given that you've explained (and your parents had already sort of explained) the reasoning -- the question is -- is this causing any discord among YOU and the siblings? OR -- do you as adults (I presume) get (understand) the decisions and rationale your parents used.

If one sibling got 60K to pay for school/school loans, or another sibling (for example) got 50K for a home downpayment -- to me it's totally understandable that parents would do what your's did -- especially since they'd sort of said that's what they were leaning toward.

Tax issues aside (for the different ways money is exchanged (gift vs inheritance) -- it sounds like your parents tried to keep things even in the end.

Now -- if one of the siblings doesn't "get" that, that's a shame. Especially if the amounts overall aren't THAT different when all is said and done.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:58 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is why a parent would be wise to state in their will, exactly why they are giving less to one sibling than the other. So that the kids will know and won't be left wondering why, because those questions can't be answered from the grave.

Was thinking just this. Lawyers many times don't like it, but you can put anything you wish in a will. Specific instructions...to give, or not to give...or to specifically avoid a certain person benefitting in any manner. It is up to YOU what you wish to put in the document.

Current sister in law has benefitted a great deal during her mother's life. Property, interest free loans, substantial gifts....all to a n'er do well child.

Other daughter has done very well by working hard and being frugal.

Chances are Mom will balance that in the will, but who knows? It might go the other way...the n'er do well needs the money!

My kids behaved poorly at times during their lives. They were greedy and very hurtful without thinking. As of now, they are freely discussing what I am worth and what they might inherit when I kick the bucket. Let me just say they are in for a BIG surprise. "Equally" big, because one should try to be 'fair' or perhaps try to explain why they were not.

Either way, for my beneficiaries, the explanation will be in the text.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:04 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:

I have read a few articles about all the stickiness of this issue regarding wills and inheritance.

It's a divisive issue.
Your parents made the decision, just live with it and move on.

\

Old 06-19-2018, 02:30 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Quote:
If there was no reason given to why there was an unequal division, I would wonder - was she "the favorite", did I disappoint them in some way, did they not love me as much, etc. I would have an emotional reaction to why they didn't see us as being equally deserving versus the amount.
Quote:
The OP said in post #19:
Quote:
My older sibling is executor and they are getting a little more than me, my younger sibling, my mother told me years ago before her death, received around $60K for her college debt, as I recall, and that they were going to make the difference up in the inheritance. My younger sibling got about half as much as my portion of my dad's investments.

In fact they left a couple different notes with the financial company pertaining to such details.

The house - the bulk of the money to the three of us - is going to be split evenly 33.33% or whatever it comes out to.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:

It's a divisive issue.
Be glad that you got anything at all. I fully expect to be completely ignored in any will, and the bulk will go to ,who I used to call, "the golden child" when they pass on. They may toss a few coins towards my younger brother...which I don't really think he cares to receive.

Regardless, you got something. Use it wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics