Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Boy, when someone dies the vultures come out of the woodwork, don't they ? ?
I wouldn't classify children of the deceased as "vultures" as it's perfectly reasonable for them to anticipate that they might inherit something. We don't know much about the OP's relationship with his/her parents, either. Some people have actually done a lot for their parents only to be cut out of the will later on, and left wondering. Sometimes an elderly person is suffering from dementia when they make changes to their will, also. There are many ways in which the adult child could be left wondering "why".

It's judgmental to jump to the conclusion that a disinherited person abandoned his parent(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
It’s a hard concept for the young to grasp -inheritance is not a right

Old 06-19-2018, 05:59 PM

813 posts, read 402,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That is why a parent would be wise to state in their will, exactly why they are giving less to one sibling than the other. So that the kids will know and won't be left wondering why, because those questions can't be answered from the grave.
I wonder if the divisiveness would be avoided in cases where all financials are POD? Since that money is not in a will, the only way siblings would know, is if they are doing comparisons like little kids.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm wondering how you all feel about that?
It's their money, and they're entitled to distribute it as they see fit for any reason or no reason at all.

You're free to disagree with how they distributed it, but your disagreement will only result in nothing happening very slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
In all fairness, it should be distributed equally or given to charity,FI!
Life is not fair, nor could it ever be fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Most lawyers advise against a parent doing this, as it can create significant problems later on.
It creates no problems whatsoever.

The only "problems" created are apparent problems in the minds of people who wish to entertain such ideas.

Those people can entertain those apparent problems for as long as they wish, or they can expend their energy on more fruitful and beneficial matters.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
I expect my sister and I to get wildly different inheritances. I'm well off, I'm stable, I have a job, my husband has a job, and I make probably 10x the income of my sister, I have savings, investments, my kids have college funds, I'm in the top 15% of income earners in the country, with free medical and dental from my employer, etc. My sister struggles, she has no college, makes minimum wage, no insurance, unreliable car, etc. I would expect her to get nearly all of the inheritance, hopefully in a trust so she can't blow it. I don't need it. She does. I would not have any hurt feelings at all. If I received the inheritance I'd give it to her.
My husband has multiple siblings. He is the most well off of any of them. One really struggles. I would not expect my husband to get an equal share when his parents pass. Our household income is more than his parents, so I would actually expect that we'd get no inheritance, and we would foot the funeral costs, while I would hope his struggling sibling would get the inheritance or life insurance.

I would make the same decision with my own children. It has nothing to do with love, or fairness.

Inheritance, to me, isn't a reward. It's not a prize. It's a parent's last way of making sure their children are looked after and taken care of. If one child needs more help, more care, that child should get more. The inheritance is a parent's last way of making life better/easier for their child. Not all children need that. Some do.

Last edited by dmarie123; 06-19-2018 at 07:47 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Who cares about money, your parents are dead.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
If there was no reason given to why there was an unequal division, I would wonder - was she "the favorite", did I disappoint them in some way, did they not love me as much, etc. I would have an emotional reaction to why they didn't see us as being equally deserving versus the amount.

Greed will tear a family apart, if you allow it. So don't allow it. You each ended up with the amount that your parents intended for you to have. You need to come to terms with that and not let it affect your relationship with your siblings.
Why is inheritance tied to love?

I be the OP and her siblings had different financial needs, so it was based on their financial situations. Does one have 7 kids who need to go to college, and the other has decided never to have kids? Did one hit the lottery and the other is homeless? Etc.

Why does it mean unequal love?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
It’s a hard concept for the young to grasp -inheritance is not a right
Lol it seems to be hard for many adults too.

Is it any wonder why folks like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett have said they are not leaving their kids big piles of money.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:02 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

It creates no problems whatsoever.

The only "problems" created are apparent problems in the minds of people who wish to entertain such ideas.

Those people can entertain those apparent problems for as long as they wish, or they can expend their energy on more fruitful and beneficial matters.
Yes, it does create a problem when a will is legally contested. It creates a problem for the person who stands to inherit most or all of the money, as their right to inherit is now jeopardized and they may incur significant legal expenses in fighting the person who wants their share.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:08 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
When my grandfather passed he left the majority of his estate to my brother and I. My parents didn't receive anything nor did my two cousinsv, aunt or uncle.
I am not sure why he excluded my cousins, but their mom ( my aunt) had terrible relationship with him ( her dad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics