Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I suppose the OP could sue for wrongful termination and their former employer would settle rather than pay all the legal fees. Good luck ever getting another job in your sector after you pull that stunt.
What was wrongful about it? I'm not asking this as a moral or ethical question but from a strictly legal definition.

And no, it's not as easy as walking into a lawyers office and filing suit especially when OP has offered nothing to support legal discrimination or wrongful termination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 07:29 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
Not necessarily, not at all. Hiring managers aren't always the same people as day-to-day supervisors. Should be, but often arent', especially for lower level positions. Hiring manager finds someone who fits the job description, then says to young junior manager "hey, we found someone for your team." If young junior manager decided the OP was too old to fit in with all the other members of his team who were closer to him in age, goes to his supervisor and says "so-and-so isn't working out" and upper supervisor takes his word for it, that would be age discrimination.
In response to bolded text- But still extremely unlikely.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 4,596,067 times
You can't sue, but you can sneak over there at night and spray paint an epically large penis on their front window.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:42 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
If you work in a at will state they don’t need to tell you why they let you go.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:06 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
If you work in a at will state they don’t need to tell you why they let you go.
Congratulations! You win the post of the week with bringing up "At Will".

If you manage to work in a "NEVER BURN YOUR BRIDGES" in a follow-up post, you might be in the running for posting of the month.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
I went on three rounds of interviews for this positions. And finally I was hired. Then I went to work and there were millennials with blue hair, piercing, IPODS. I spent two months at the company and was let go because of "bad corporate fit". Now I want 2 be compensated. Do I have a case to sue?
No.
For their right to fire at will to be disabled to any degree, you will need several good performance reviews.
Did you leave a good job for the bad one.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Hmm, horrified that some young'un would have blue dye in their hair, uses outdated term that a young person might think an old person might use, yet uses text speak.

Good fit means lots, and absolutely nothing. Thing is, they don't want you. And they don't likely legally have to keep you. Not much to do, then.

I got turned down for a position by someone I'm acquainted with, the reason given by the other guy who was in the interview was "fit". Yikes, hard to not take that one personally, especially when I ran into my acquaintance at a party the next night. But either way, I see that I dodged a bullet. If she doesn't want me working with her, I probably wouldn't want to stay there very long any way. I moved on, and am glad I did.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:37 PM

257 posts, read 177,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So consider an avenue to pursue that is essentially baseless from the beginning? Umm...okay.

The OP had three interviews and was hired. Why are people not willing to consider that the OP just sucked at the job?

Um, I was willing and DID consider the possibility he sucked, per below, where I also explained why I chose to focus on the possibility he didn't for the purposes of this discussion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
[...] So OP's job letting him go that fast, something fishy is going on here. Either he himself was a real problem (major screwup, habitual tardiness, etc) that he's not telling us about, or there is something going on at that company. In the vein of being civil on this board, and also because if OP did screw up and isn't saying, pressing him wouldn't do any good anyway, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't do anything wrong and entertain the possibility that not fitting in with Millenials means he might have been age-discriminated once he got there, and let him know his options if that was the case.

How do you know an age discrimination charge is "essentially baseless from the beginning"? Were you there in the office? That's pretty presumptuous of you based on the limited information in this thread. I've made no judgements on whether the OP has a good case or not, just mentioned the avenue as something to consider. I don't get why you and a few others here are so adamantly opposed to discussion of possibilities on a casual discussion board like this one. Are electrons exceedingly rare and precious where you live or something?

Last edited by Reefmonkey; 07-06-2018 at 02:05 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 01:55 PM

257 posts, read 177,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
In response to bolded text- But still extremely unlikely.

At least you've backed off somewhat from "virtually impossible". I'm not sure how "extremely unlikely" it really is, since in my 20 years of post college working, I've seen new hires placed under the wing of someone only slightly senior to them who had no involvement in their hiring more times than I can count. And I have seen strong personality conflicts take place in such pairings more than a few times. I've even been in one of those personality conflicts early in my career, and was badmouthed to management by my "supervisor" who had only been on the job 3 months longer than me. He was REALLY pissed a year later when I finished my masters and got the same promotion he did at the same time.

I would hope any discrimination would be extremely unlikely in this day and age, but given the number of people who start a new job every day, the law of truly large numbers would mean even the extremely unlikely is going to happen from time to time. I don't know if this is or is not one of those times, but as this is just a casual online discussion forum, I don't see the harm in discussing possible scenarios, or why some people are so opposed to doing so.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:06 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Dear, if they let you go there must be a reason. A freaking good reason. I understand your frustration, but letting a brand new hire go after they invested time and resources on you - to bring you up to speed, to train you - believe me it's not something they do on a whim.

Am my workplace, we do have a mixture of people. I actually like very much working with the millennials, they are bright and funny and we have beers after work We had a similar situation since the way we hire is 3 month probation and then permanent. So we had to fire this guy before his probation period was over. I personally disliked him from day 1. He was nasty, slimy, made bad jokes, sticked his nose where it didn't belong, asked too personal questions as if he was one of us. I hated him, seriously. In my mind I was questioning my boss judgement on this one. Guess what? My boss fired him for indeed he made a bad joke or so he claimed. He accessed a server with sensitive data where he clearly he had no business to be, and said he wanted to play a prank on a lady who was solely responsible for that server. My boss was enraged. He fired him on the spot, saying we had enough problem with cyber attacks and piracy and we don't need a lunatic among us! I was relieved we got rid of him. My boss hired a nice guy in that position and we all love him. So think well what has happend and what you've done and learn from it. And hey, don't hate the millenials. Even our grandparents were all the rage back in the day and your great grand parents couldn't stand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics