Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:37 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
that could of course be true. But given that this happens to be specifically about the chief financial officer of a large company, I'm going to go with the base assumption that he does in fact have some financial savvy and is less likely to be the type to be living far above his means paycheck to paycheck with a house and a car he can't actually afford.

That doesn't mean he's not a regular human, of course.
It’s not hard to question the financial savvy of those who finance expensive depreciating cars or how a person who still has to work full time is supposedly set for life.

If one has low standards and doesn’t understand the bills most people in such a position typically have, sure, anyone can be put on a pedestal.

The rest of us understand that the guy who has a “big house for $500K” likely lives in a low cost of living area and has a “not so impressive” salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 09:40 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea we are clean and maintenance pays the mowers twice a week to mow, and any maintenance is fixed in 24 hours. Just hate having classy visitors coming over and a home that is over 30 years old and got that old age smell that you cant get rid. Some of you know what i mean.. lol.. Feel emberresed more then anything else. Like the idea on what the salaries they pay us gets us, but then you will get that well manage your money right attitude.

anybody been in this situation.. ( not for vising pups) just to come and visit. I mean this guy never invited anybody to his house and he asking to come and visit mine. Guess he feels that inviting the poor man over seems like he rubbing his money in our face.. ( if you work harder you can obtain this attitude). To me, if you pay me more then i could be my response. lol.. but back to the advice.
Uh...I believe you may be overthinking this a tad. Your boss just wants to pick out a puppy, not reenact Les Misérables. Why would he ever invite you to his house if you aren't friends? His visit is a transaction, not a social call.

Look, if you are ashamed and embarrassed about your smelly trailer, move into a same-priced apartment or condo.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:53 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It’s not hard to question the financial savvy of those who finance expensive depreciating cars or how a person who still has to work full time is supposedly set for life.

If one has low standards and doesn’t understand the bills most people in such a position typically have, sure, anyone can be put on a pedestal.

The rest of us understand that the guy who has a “big house for $500K” likely lives in a low cost of living area and has a “not so impressive” salary.
And the rest of us understand that we don't know anything about this person's finances, have no idea if his car is financed or if he paid cash for his house and has millions in the bank. None of us know one way or the other but some are capable of understanding that yes, they live in a different area of the country where 500K could in fact be a large and expensive house, at least from the OP's perspective, who is the one who described it that way. Heck, for all we know, it could have actually cost 3 times that much and OP was just guessing.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:59 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
And the rest of us understand that we don't know anything about this person's finances, have no idea if his car is financed or if he paid cash for his house and has millions in the bank..
Yet the OP claims his boss is set for life and he is ashamed of his boss visiting his home.

That’s called faulty reasoning and stereotyping. The OP doesn’t know anything about the personal finances of his superior and needlessly puts him on a pedestal.

Nothing the OP said regarding his boss has anyone falling out of their chair, except those defending his baseless claims who believe the rest of us should also be “impressed” with the OP’s boss.

Last edited by Rocko20; 07-09-2018 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Well, maybe it can't hurt for the CFO of a multi million dollar company to see what kind of lifestyle is supported by the salaries they pay.

But I don't know why you would feel that badly - sounds like you are living in a well kept home in a nice community. Even if it's a trailer park, there is definitely a difference between nice ones and trashy ones (by the way, same applies to non-trailer park communities too, many of those are also trashy)
Great answer! After all, isn't this all about puppies?

Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Thanks, wow 12+ pages and counting..

Good advice from most of you and i appreciate the self confidence you place on me. And no its not smelly house, just has that old wall smell you get when you havent been in a home for long period of time. I had others come over and visit and they said its just the panels they use back then and the glue is starting to release gas. So just need to have them come over and put up new panels, even tho it still looks brand new.

Now then, after talking to him a bit more via text and in person about my living situation, he still interested in having a pup. Its for his wife, and the breeders he was refer too are not having pups at the moment. Guess the puppy mills are seasonal thing now. He is willing to let me bring them to his house on a weekend if i feel more comfortable that way, but that will only just make my confidence look worst. So we are planning a visit at end of the month to pick one out and setup the vet visits when they are ready to leave the nest. Just where i am from, people think those that live in trailers are trashy people and have no high end paying job. I damn sure dont live trashy, nor have a high end job but pays the bills. Even tho we are one job lost away from living on the streets.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:03 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Great answer! After all, isn't this all about puppies?
The OP didn't make it clear if the boss is interested in taking a puppy or just wants to see them because he likes puppies or something. If he is interested in a puppy I totally agree to let him come over. Since he has a good job, chances are good the guy will take care of it.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:06 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Presumably he has assets other than his house, and could very well have millions in the bank. It's not something OP is in any position to know, after all.
Yes, maybe a 500k house is well below his means.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:41 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:

Good advice from most of you and i appreciate the self confidence you place on me. And no its not smelly house, just has that old wall smell you get when you havent been in a home for long period of time. I had others come over and visit and they said its just the panels they use back then and the glue is starting to release gas. So just need to have them come over and put up new panels, even tho it still looks brand new.

Now then, after talking to him a bit more via text and in person about my living situation, he still interested in having a pup. Its for his wife, and the breeders he was refer too are not having pups at the moment. Guess the puppy mills are seasonal thing now. He is willing to let me bring them to his house on a weekend if i feel more comfortable that way, but that will only just make my confidence look worst. So we are planning a visit at end of the month to pick one out and setup the vet visits when they are ready to leave the nest. Just where i am from, people think those that live in trailers are trashy people and have no high end paying job. I damn sure dont live trashy, nor have a high end job but pays the bills. Even tho we are one job lost away from living on the streets.
Why would he not want a puppy because of your "living situation"? Did you really feel the need to bring it up. I suspect most dog breeders do not live in mansions.

Many people are one paycheck away from disaster you are not alone.

Old 07-09-2018, 12:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

man, you are something else. the bottom line is that he doesnt really care how you live. he is just interested in a puppy. your self confidence issue is a whole other matter but that is probably for a different sub forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics