Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

I've seen this with sailing in SF Bay... some very wealthy individuals who want nothing more than a good time on the Bay...

Same with the collector car hobby... individuals who buy million dollar cars and have to make an appointment to see old Joe in his 900 square foot home in the sticks... because old Joe can make brass car parts like no one else in his small barn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 09:32 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
how are the puppers doing?

Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Mostly it's the type who seems to want to bring it up constantly, like, "Must be nice to be able to afford..." Yeah if you ever start a sentence with that, friendship is over immediately. Been there, done that, never again. People need to leave their issues at the door as far as I'm concerned.
i had a friend say something like that me. i was talking about work that we did on the house and he said it was nice to be able to do that.

i think they are going through a rough time financially because they recently bought a larger home and quickly realized it was more than they could afford. i think there is a certain amount of resentment but i think he doesnt want to be resentful its just he is having a lot of stress right now because of it. hopefully things will get back on track for them.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:06 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea we are clean and maintenance pays the mowers twice a week to mow, and any maintenance is fixed in 24 hours. Just hate having classy visitors coming over and a home that is over 30 years old and got that old age smell that you cant get rid. Some of you know what i mean.. lol.. Feel emberresed more then anything else. Like the idea on what the salaries they pay us gets us, but then you will get that well manage your money right attitude.

anybody been in this situation.. ( not for vising pups) just to come and visit. I mean this guy never invited anybody to his house and he asking to come and visit mine. Guess he feels that inviting the poor man over seems like he rubbing his money in our face.. ( if you work harder you can obtain this attitude). To me, if you pay me more then i could be my response. lol.. but back to the advice.
Or, it could just be that he thinks it would be easier on you if he came to see the pups where they are instead of having you crate them up and take them to his house.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:36 AM

13,059 posts, read 7,491,199 times
OP, thank you for being very selective in choosing the pup's new family.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:44 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,909,939 times
I've seen it with tennis. In one situation, a business man liked the way he saw a younger guy play. The younger guy was just high school. The man saw a really strong player to challenge him. The man eventually met the family. The man was very successful in his career and the boy's parents were surprised the man wanted to play tennis with their son, although they knew he was pretty good. The parents and business man got friendly, were invited to get-togethers, the man mentored the son as far as college, summer jobs and career. The son wound up very successful with this solid mentoring.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:42 PM

493 posts, read 442,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
You aren’t any less of a person because you have less money. You’re from where you’re from. Just have a normal conversation and show him the pups.
Completely agree here. Where you live and what you have don't determine who you are. I think your CFO will value a genuine friend like you (with a cute pup).

Old 07-15-2018, 05:50 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
You had to work for it just like me
No shame in that
Why does he want to come over wants a dog ?
I always kept the office at arms length
Not every body I worked with was a nice person

Old 07-16-2018, 05:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,912,961 times
Pupies doing great. got eyes open and few are walking around.. Getting a list going now.. faster i can get rid of them better my life be.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:19 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i had a friend say something like that me. i was talking about work that we did on the house and he said it was nice to be able to do that.

i think they are going through a rough time financially because they recently bought a larger home and quickly realized it was more than they could afford. i think there is a certain amount of resentment but i think he doesnt want to be resentful its just he is having a lot of stress right now because of it. hopefully things will get back on track for them.
Yeah I almost did that myself so I understand how close someone can come to that or even making that mistake. It’s not always purely “dumb,” sometimes you really do expect finances to work out but information changes. Maybe I’m just talking about me, but my income is all business and passive income investments so I don’t always know year to year what that will look like (it’s getting better / more reliable). We fell in love with this house and it was a sad situation, met the family, they were getting a divorce and selling the house. He was an architect and had built this awesome house himself, which is why it was one of a kind, 4,500 square feet, in a GREAT area, and seemingly really inexpensive at $635,000 or so. Looks were deceiving, though. Because of some shoddy workmanship on the back of the house, two floors full of three glass doors along the same wall (6 in total) had major water damage. It became a concern that we would open up the walls and find the entire walls needed replacing. Probably a $20-30K issue. I still felt it was worth it.

Then we hear from a building engineer (my agent was all about covering our butts, this place was on a sloped hill) that it was missing some non-critical but recommended support beams and that would cost thousands more. We had other issues with at least half of the windows having broken seals. The house in general though was gorgeous and perfectly laid out. I kept trying to make this work. But we really wanted to keep costs to $600K. Then we learn there are 2 mortgages on this house and it’ll be a short sale so we need bank approval. As the issues mounted I kept looking for Plan B, just in case. Finally one weekend we found a great house, lesser area, not grand like this one, but no issues for $534K and I pulled the plug on the first house and went with the cheaper one. It also meant half the property taxes (different county). As times were unexpectedly lean - my company had a down year after a great year - money got super tight and if I had bought the more expensive house I would have been in trouble. Not like end of the world situation, I’m sure my dad would bail me out with a loan (though he is... let’s just say my dad doesn’t give deals, he would loan me money at a higher rate than you’d expect lol), but it would have been both awkward and embarrassing not to mention stressful.

The lesson I learned is trust your gut, don’t stretch your budget, the stress isn’t worth a better house. How will you enjoy ANY house if you’re going through sleepless nights worrying about bills / finances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics