Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,756 times

Advertisements

2018 GDP growth
http://www.imf.org/en/Publications/W...-2018#_ftnref1
01. India - 7.3%
02. China - 6.6%
03. United States - 2.9%
04. Spain - 2.8%
05. Mexico - 2.3%
06. Germany - 2.2%
07. Canada - 2.1%
07. Nigeria - 2.1%
09. Saudi Arabia - 1.9%
10. Brazil - 1.8%
10. France - 1.8%
12. Russia - 1.7%
13. South Africa - 1.5%
14. United Kingdom - 1.4%
15. Italy - 1.2%
16. Japan - 1.0%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,974,756 times
2019 GDP growth
01. India - 7.5%
02. China - 6.4%
03. Mexico - 2.7%
03. United States - 2.7%
05. Brazil - 2.5%
06. Nigeria - 2.3%
07. Spain - 2.2%
08. Germany - 2.1%
09. Canada - 2.0%
10. Saudi Arabia - 1.9%
11. France - 1.7%
11. South Africa - 1.7%
13. Russia - 1.5%
13. United Kingdom - 1.5%
15. Italy - 1.0%
16. Japan - 0.9%

In 2019, growth slightly better for India, Mexico, Brazil, Nigeria, South Africa, the United Kingdom, remain the same for Saudi Arabia but slightly worse for everyone else

Old 07-18-2018, 08:14 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times
What's amazing is that we're doing it with a 20 trillion dollar economy and historically low unemployment. One of would think there's not much room for growth there.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:44 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Warren Buffett has said that 2% growth for the U.S. would work wonders and 3% growth would be "fabulous."

So, I hope this continues.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:00 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Are those inflation adjusted numbers? If not, there was no growth at all last year. The article does not indicate what the numbers are based on. The projected 3.9% world growth rate looks pretty good from a multinational corporation perspective, but it's quite a bit higher than the projected US growth rate.

There's a lot of weeping and moaning about the developing trade war, but it seems to me that it will be a boost to domestic business. I read that the tariffs only represent a 5.8% tax increase on consumers and businesses, which is dwarfed by the last round of tax cuts.

So far, the Chinese retaliation hasn't had much effect on farmers. China is buying soybeans from Brazil, the Brazilian farmers are sitting on their beans because they expect higher prices later in the year, so Brazilian traders are buying US soybeans. The crushers are crying into their beer about high prices, but things are likely to get worse. The US may end up exporting a lot of biodiesel.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:10 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Are those inflation adjusted numbers? If not, there was no growth at all last year.
This is why people need to put their money in the stock market or similar asset.

You need to buy assets which are going to be a hedge against inflation. Don't leave money off the table.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Oh, no - how many posts do we need that don't show us that the "growth" is

1. Largely among the very wealthy.
2. Includes 1.5 TRILLION in debt and deficit JUST THIS YEAR....which our children would have to pay back.
3. "Growth" includes paying more for gasoline, health care and many other things.....

Example - if we each pay 20% more for gas this year, that is additional GDP. If we take the 1.5 Trillion in borrowed money and spend it, that is also "free" GDP. If we get sick and pay higher health care cost...yep, that is GDP and growth.

Every overpriced weapon fired or developed...yep, growth.

Here is a real question. What about the happiness of the people and general welfare? Is our infant mortality falling? Our maternal mortality falling? Our life spans increasing? Our health improving?

If not...then how can one say things are "great"??? Should I really care if Raytheon sells cruise missiles to replace those which Trump fired at largely empty targets? I don't.

I care about human beings. You know "The People"???? Remember them?

Please point to the stats that show how all those scourges are being greatly reduced due to more happiness.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:35 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
3. "Growth" includes paying more for gasoline, health care and many other things.....
Why wouldn't it? You don't think the millions of Americans who put bread on the table working in the healthcare or energy sectors count as part of the economy? The point of GDP is to measure the goods and services produced in the country, it seems like you are seeking some alternate measure that is only for fun things like lollipops, bongs made of purple glass, and subwoofers. The people in industries you don't like live too, spend their money, pay their taxes, etc.

Quote:
Every overpriced weapon fired or developed...yep, growth
Okay we'll add "things you morally disagree with" to the list of things that don't actually count as a good or service. The craigirl fun-and-nice-things index is born. We'll call it CGFNTX.

Quote:
Here is a real question. What about the happiness of the people and general welfare? Is our infant mortality falling? Our maternal mortality falling? Our life spans increasing? Our health improving?
Does infant mortality or average lifespan really measure the happiness of a people? I get that a mother who's infant dies in childbirth is sad, but in a country of hundreds of millions of people I'm not convinced that tenth of a percentage among those who have children really makes a measurable impact on the happiness of a population as a whole. Same with people who die of old age at 82 instead of 81. Sucks, but is that how you measure the happiness of everyone else? I don't think so. Look at Japan and their lifespans, yet where do they fall on indexes that try to measure happiness or suicide rate.

People are all different and want different things, I'm not sure how happiness can be quantified. Some of the happiness people I've met in their day to day lives (in general, and yeah I know big time anecdotal experience alert) were in the Philippines, South Africa, and Colombia. I've not looked but I doubt any of them are on the top of the lifespan or infant mortality list.

Quote:
Some day they shall sing songs and erect gilded statues of the glory of how craigiri most righteously cared about the people. We just need to find an artist who can complete a colossal statue with the hand bent backwards for the self-pat without overbalance tumbling it down, wasting resources that could have gone towards generating even more happiness. Maybe another 2 hours in average lifespan!

Old 07-23-2018, 05:52 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
IMF stands for Impossible Mission Force right? Can’t wait for Fallout

Old 07-23-2018, 10:47 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,464 times
Quote:
Oh, no - how many posts do we need that don't show us that the "growth" is

1. Largely among the very wealthy.
2. Includes 1.5 TRILLION in debt and deficit JUST THIS YEAR....which our children would have to pay back.

Example - if we each pay 20% more for gas this year, that is additional GDP. If we take the 1.5 Trillion in borrowed money and spend it, that is also "free" GDP. If we get sick and pay higher health care cost...yep, that is GDP and growth.

Every overpriced weapon fired or developed...yep, growth.

If not...then how can one say things are "great"??? Should I really care if Raytheon sells cruise missiles to replace those which Trump fired at largely empty targets? I don't.

Please point to the stats that show how all those scourges are being greatly reduced due to more happiness.
Good post Craigiri. I have mentioned this before that we wasted too much money trying to trick GDP into some false statement about growth. GDP is not growth. Return on Investment is growth. Debt-spending is not growth. Debt-Spending is the impoverishment of unborn generations for the comfort of the present generation. We haven't had real economic growth since 2001. We only managed to grow debt since then and simulate or fake economic growth creating economic bubbles. Debt makes you think the economy is growing, but this is not true. In reality our leaders have engineered a Great Global Debt Mirage.

GDP is a worthless number, scam designed to trick American Public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics