Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:59 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

In 1977 the minimum wage here was $2.50 and now it is $13.23... more than a 5 fold increase...n (Oakland CA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Back in the early 70s, when I told my mother I was going to major in journalism, my mother--a strong proponent of college just for the sake of knowledge--say, "That's wonderful, son. But what are you going to do for a living?"

And she was right. As it was, I actually ended up making good use of my degree in Air Force intelligence, in which journalism was actually quite an asset.

But toward the end of my military career, I started getting certs in computer networking, because I hadn't forgotten my mother's question. And it's been those IT certifications that have kept me employed since then--falling into the journalism game as an old guy would not have cut it.

For that matter, life would have been grim for me today if I had not gone into the military but had stayed in journalism. I saw a whole lot of people in their mid-to-late 50s with non-technical degrees in non-technical jobs get thrown into chaos by the Great Recession. Overall, it's no easier for a 50-year-old man with a soft bachelor's degree to find a new job than it is for a Millennial with the same degree.

But that the 50-year-old guy has a lot more financial responsibilities. Flopping in a one-room apartment with two friends isn't something he can do.
Same with some of my friends... two earned Library Science Degrees... one has a great job for a SF Law Firm and the other does very well working for UC Berkeley...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-09-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Same with some of my friends... two earn Library Science Degrees... one has a great job for a SF Law Firm and the other does very well working for UC Berkeley...
But if they got laid off today, how good are their prospects for finding positions with equal salaries?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:20 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
In 1977 the minimum wage here was $2.50 and now it is $13.23... more than a 5 fold increase...n (Oakland CA)
In 1972, my tuition at the top state college was $25 a credit hour; I was making $2.50 an hour working part time. I could pay for a credit hour of tuition with only 10 hours of work--half a week part-time.

So, is the current tuition in California state schools only $132.30 a credit hour? Can someone making minimum wage still pay for a credit hour with only half a week of part-time work?

Old 08-09-2018, 09:24 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
Quote:

And in 1977 you could buy this beauty brand new for a base price of $11,396. If you were so inclined you could upgrade from the standard 2 barrel, 400 cubic inch V8 to the four barrel, 460 for a few dollars more.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
In 1972, my tuition at the top state college was $25 a credit hour; I was making $2.50 an hour working part time. I could pay for a credit hour of tuition with only 10 hours of work--half a week part-time.

So, is the current tuition in California state schools only $132.30 a credit hour? Can someone making minimum wage still pay for a credit hour with only half a week of part-time work?
$46 a unit for 2 year program or FREE in San Francisco

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ents/97591606/

Link for 4 year State College...

http://www.calstate.edu/budget/stude...sAllCampus.pdf

Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Back in the early 70s, when I told my mother I was going to major in journalism, my mother--a strong proponent of college just for the sake of knowledge--say, "That's wonderful, son. But what are you going to do for a living?"

And she was right. As it was, I actually ended up making good use of my degree in Air Force intelligence, in which journalism was actually quite an asset.

But toward the end of my military career, I started getting certs in computer networking, because I hadn't forgotten my mother's question. And it's been those IT certifications that have kept me employed since then--falling into the journalism game as an old guy would not have cut it.

For that matter, life would have been grim for me today if I had not gone into the military but had stayed in journalism. I saw a whole lot of people in their mid-to-late 50s with non-technical degrees in non-technical jobs get thrown into chaos by the Great Recession. Overall, it's no easier for a 50-year-old man with a soft bachelor's degree to find a new job than it is for a Millennial with the same degree.

But that the 50-year-old guy has a lot more financial responsibilities. Flopping in a one-room apartment with two friends isn't something he can do.
The biggest take from this post was that you made moves to adapt to a changing world. The old way of college, job for life with benefits,retirement with pension isn't necessarily the formula for success anymore. Success can be achieved, it just might be in a different manner.
Whichever path is chosen, it's better than just sitting around blaming everyone else and getting nowhere. You do what you gotta do.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:

In 1972 I was attending a State University in CA, and I worked part-time, living at home, making $1.75/hour. In 1973, I got a better job at $3/hour full-time moved into an apartment for $150/month and bought a brand new car for $2,500. I stayed at that job (got married in 1974) through 1975 while in graduate school at another CA state University. Then my first real career job was in mid 1975, making about $4.25/hour with benefits, and a promotion in 1978 brought me up to $7.87/hour so we bought our first house for $50,000. (That one last sold for $277k in 2009 during the recession, now shown on Zillow with value $614k. Current state university tuition in CA is shown at $6-7,000/year for state residents. If living with parents, that could be covered by 10 hours a week work at the current minimum wage. Not counting books, transportation and other school expenses, however.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,718 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
But if they got laid off today, how good are their prospects for finding positions with equal salaries?
Laid off today
a) As 50+ yo, very slim chance of getting a decent replacement job (equivalent pay and benefits) Thus you best be smart and PLAN for this at age 30!

b) As a 30 YO, excellent current opportunities

Moral of the story... Work LOTS when you can handle it
(age 30's).

Moral of this thread... College (if too expensive) is maybe not worth your time.

We ALL had to make that decision. (for those who had the latitude to invest their time in college)

I would expect FAR higher % of students in early 1970's held jobs (real jobs) while in College. Thus.. they were also paying for room and board, cars, insurance, fuel... (Since age 18 when they were 'kicked-to-the-street' )

Today you will find many 25yo living at home, and also quite a few 30 yo doing likewise. One of many 'cushy' extras availed by our 'entitlement' culture.

With higher property taxes and Health Insurance costs for 'parents', I am surprised there is not an app called "Your kid just graduated"

20 min AFTER the HS graduation ceremony life changes...
1) Parent's House keys are changed
2) Your bedroom is now available on Air B&B (If you book it soon enough, before someone else rents it)
3) The parents car is LOCKED OUT, no more ''free wheels"
4) You now have an automatic assigned PO Box for your BILLS!, (you no longer have a 'home', get used to it, get over it)
5) Welcome to Healthcare & insurance - Pay immediately or you are FINED!
6) Start your retirement saving account (if you have not already done so)
7) Laundry ! your FIRST trip to the laundromat, where you meet people who give you an incentive to find a REAL job... (And you spend more Quarters in 1 hr than you have ever seen in your life!... you do this EVERY week! (in your free time))

Reality Check... Life - You Are On Your Own... make it what you will, because the hungry sharks are circling. (As they will for the next 8 decades)

Quote:
if they got laid off today,

Interesting question, and one that Millions of excellent high skilled and secure 50 somethings have had the opportunity to address. In my very small region of Northern Colorado (Micro economy) I can think of 30,000 - 50,000 great high tech / manf well paying jobs that LEFT when employees were age 50+ (in the 1970's / 1980's) Intel, IBM, HP, Kodak, Storage Tech, Ball Industries, Samsonite, Lego, Water Pic, US Bureau of Standards Labs

Be prepared for change. It will happen. Do not be surprised! Do not get caught without a 'plan'
https://www.hcn.org/articles/the-mon...o-big-too-fast
The 1980s were a difficult time for Colorado as a whole — the state experienced two separate recessions, losing almost 50,000 jobs in the process —

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-09-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 12:19 PM

35,076 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:

Sadly, I think we're entering a period of overall less prosperity than in immediate post WWII-circa 2000 period. The top 10%-20% are doing well. Below that, it's incredibly shaky.

I'm extremely hesitant to make any long term commitments to anything. Nothing is solid anymore, and I don't mean in the "thirty years and a golden watch" sense - I'm talking a year's timeframe, tops.

I was moved to an office near my condo about three month's ago. The building sold and we have to vacate in a few months. More staff are being moved here, until the end of the year at most, and no one knows where they'll end up working. I may be moved to an office fifty miles away. Given the organizational changes, we basically plod along week to week wondering if we're going to still be employed. If I lose my job, then I have to move.

You can't make long-term commitments with that kind of insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics