Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 01:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

I know people that used to leave their RV in front of their house and use it on weekends to picnick at the park - now they live in that park in that RV
Somebody else owns that house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 01:59 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Many years ago, as an undergrad in college, I had a project that ran into the summer. The regular semester ended, the dorms closed, and I was relegated to living in my car - an older hatchback. The rear seat was removed, and the front folded down, for sleeping. With laundry serving as a mattress, it was tolerably comfortable. Cardboard cut-outs and associated decoration provided a modicum of privacy. This lasted for about a month.

Because I had spending-money, food wasn't a huge problem. But having no place to cook, I had to rely on raw foods (vegetables etc.) or fast-food. I had rudimentary cooking utensils, but no access to a stove. Showering was also a problem.

What the city could have done to help, was to provide a "guest" type of area, where customers could cook, take a shower, do laundry and so forth. Admission could be say $5, for a couple of hours. It is not a place to sleep, but a place for daily "household" chores.

And as others have said, free parking would be nice. My main worry wasn't crime, but parking tickets.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:33 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Don't help me...Really. I have lived out of my vehicle since 2012. I LOVE it. I can go where I want, not worry about someone breaking into my "Home" while at work. I admit, I pay nothing towards certain things that people with property do pay. But then I don't worry.

I make between $29K-$35K (With OT) so you can see. I'm doing good. In 9 months I should clear the $15K in debt I have and then get a new (To me) van
Thanks for sharing. That's great input for people who think everyone needs rescued.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:08 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Focus on the future and making sure Gen Z has adequate opportunities and are not falling into the rut. Apprenticeships and relocation to appropriate areas where employers in need exist is critical.

Like camps?

Old 08-03-2018, 03:11 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,725,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Don't help me...Really. I have lived out of my vehicle since 2012. I LOVE it. I can go where I want, not worry about someone breaking into my "Home" while at work. I admit, I pay nothing towards certain things that people with property do pay. But then I don't worry.

I even had a co-worker (Who I have told several times I'm happy) come to me about a program for people living in vehicles..."Look, Hon, how often have I said "I like living like this"?

She replied "Several times"

"Do you think I'm lying?"

"No, but you need.."

"I need you to stop trying to make me live like you do. To try and help me. I don't need it"

I make between $29K-$35K (With OT) so you can see. I'm doing good. In 9 months I should clear the $15K in debt I have and then get a new (To me) van

I love this post. I do think she thinks you are lying. All I can picture is her asking "but how can you be happy without a white picket fence?"

Old 08-03-2018, 03:11 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
It seems to me, (in my limited knowledge) that a lot of our laws, whether on purpose or not, make it extremely difficult for people living close to the edge, regarding homelessness.

For example, we fine people if they try to feed homeless folks without a permit.

We make it illegal for restaurants to give away their day-old food.

We place occupancy restrictions on housing, etc.

I remember seeing something on TV about a mother and father and a small child or 2, living in ONE room, in an old Victorian home. That one room was all they could afford. They got kicked out for zoning restrictions.

I remember reading about a young guy, who works for google, and lives in one of those freight containers, on the parking lot. It's all he can afford. He showers and eats in Google headquarters.

Another story I read, a younger couple and a couple of kids were living in her parents garage. Not a fancy set up by any means, but they had a roof over their heads. They both worked at Google, in food service. Both of them made over minimum wage, but it wasn't enough to afford their own place.

And then San Francisco passes laws about living in garages.

It's like we want to ostracize the homeless, but at the same time, create more.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
When poor people need help conservatives say let the market decide, keep government out of it. Then when the market solution is that poor people start living under bridges and in old RVs on public streets the conservatives say, “Hey, the government has to stop this!”.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
I've watched quite a few of her videos, and she seems to be doing ok living in her car and traveling cross country. As long they're able to support themselves without any help from the government, fine by me. My only concern is she has a lavish spending habits on designer clothes, cosmetics and stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXV-LekBO8E

Last edited by Hschlick84; 08-03-2018 at 09:05 PM..

Old 08-03-2018, 10:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
I about starved to death in the '82 recession. I lived in a 14' travel trailer for 3 years. I went to work and nowhere else. I drank water and cooked cheap meals, while working 2 jobs. My entertainment budget was a library card and cheap magazine subscriptions. Then I bought a house and never looked back. I did what I had to do to meet my goals.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:23 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
There are not enough high paying jobs for everyone. And you need one of those high paying jobs to be able to afford even the most basic accommodations in some places. In SF, you have skilled, software engineers living 4 to a 1-br apartment. A low wage service worker (whose jobs are just as important to society) have no chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics