Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,405,586 times

Advertisements

In general, I don't see fast food workers staying at the same job (on AVERAGE) long enough to even start any type of organized labor force. I was told by a McDonald's GM that the average annual attrition is 200%, meaning each position can be expected to turn over twice in a given year. 4 months.

It's possible, but is it likely? Considering the franchise locations are independently owned and operated. I just don't see your fears coming true - not with fast food workers, any way.

Now, one area that DOES get a lot of attention is warehouse workers. Teamsters. Historically, according to the DoL, dock work is considered unskilled, however, that is subject to interpretation:

- Is a loader operating a motorized pallet jack unskilled? (Answers will vary)
- Is a forklift driver unskilled? (Answers will vary)
- Is a semi truck driver unskilled? (Careful!)
- is a crane operator unskilled? (NO!)

I think if you can demonstrate that the workers in a given title are career-oriented, have an average tenure of greater than one year, and are part of a career pathway to gain skills and move within the company - as they should be - then that's a solid operation with dedicated employees. I'd hold that group in as high esteem as skilled labor, regardless of DoL definitions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 12:39 AM

1,959 posts, read 1,291,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I don’t wish ill on anyone, but I judge a society by its best and brightest and not by the lowest common denominator. Every society will always have people at the bottom, by nature, there’s no avoiding that. ... And no, I don’t think unskilled people need a union to represent them. I don’t think most skilled people do, either. I happen to think in some limited situations it makes a degree of sense. ...
JonathanLB, I suspect that proportional increases of USA's GDP's purchasing power (in U.S. Dollars) per capita is and the purchasing power is lagging those of many other nation's GDP's and their currencies.

I strongly suspect that the increased purchasing powers of those better-performing economies median wages are also proportionally performing better than USA's median wage.

GDP per capita indicates our domestic production per capita and proportional to our median wage, it's the best indicator of our nation's median living standard. It indicates how well our aggregate population lives.

I attribute the Federal Taft-Harley act governing labor unions, and a federal minimum wage rate not retaining its purchasing power, and USA's chronic annual trade deficits, as the causing over the decades lagging of our median wage's proportional increases as compared to many other nations.

You're a craftsman that's relatively well paid, and you're now safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
JonathanLB, … You recognize the benefits you derive from your union, but would wish to deny it to others? Those others are “untermenschen”, unworthy of consideration or any respect? Obviously, you're not ashamed of your opinion. If I understood your post correctly, I think you should be ashamed. It's my hope your convictions will change, but I don't wish that they should change due to experiencing personally detrimental circumstances.
When those chosen to be with the first U.S. troop waves to land, there was no exclusion for those having lesser shares of the war because their families' owned lesser portions of our nation's wealth. Lesser equitable economies endanger their nations' democracies.

"As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy." — Abraham Lincoln.

"… democracy isn't like a Sunday suit to be brought out and worn only for parades. It's the kind of a life a decent man leads, it's something to live for and to die for." — Dalton Trumbo

Old 08-16-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
... The market determines the value for goods and services and it does a nearly perfect job of it.
JonathanLB, the increased ratio between USA's GDP per capita and our median wage, and the lagging increases of our median wage's purchasing power indicate that USA's employees' labors are undervalued; our employees are underpaid.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:21 AM

18,898 posts, read 14,088,508 times
I personally detest collective bargaining and unions. They're instruments of great evil.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I personally detest collective bargaining and unions. They're instruments of great evil.
JetGraphics, efforts to demean others are a greater evil.

Opposition to the federal minimum wage rate or the retention of the rate's purchasing power, or laws effectively maintaining substantially greater employers' advantages when they're dealing with job applicants and employees, are all in effect efforts to degrade others.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:36 AM

93 posts, read 44,802 times
it's not hard to get out of the rat race. The National guard will pay you $800 per month to go to college, and you dont have to pay tuition or fees. You can still have your pell grant and loans. They'll give you 20k for signing up. You'll get VA home loan, no 20% down payment, no PMI required, no loan insurance required. In OK, you can buy BIG old houses for 50k, I am not kidding and rent out a dozen small rooms for $100 a week each.By the time you get done with your 6 year commitment, you can easily be clearing 60k a year from your boarding houses, without your having to do a thing. You can retire very nicely in many countries on half that much money. 1k a year each, to the police chief and mayor, in many countries, will make you an honorary cop, able to ccw a pistol and arrest people. That removes a lot of the problems that are inherent with being a foreigner there. Marry a local and have your kids there, where you can raise them properly on 5k a year, instead of having to spend 5x that much to do so.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:12 AM

JonathanLB, right pew, wrong church?

Quote:
I don’t get the concept that any business is evil if they pay their employees as little as possible.
Quote:
JonathanLB, to the extent that our federal minimum wage's purchasing power's insufficient to better serve our economy, is consequentially an evil; To the extent that our laws do not automatically retain the minimum rate's purchasing power, further compounds that evil; the consequential affects due to USA's chronic annual trade deficits is evil. These are evil because consequentially they more or less generally demean employees and the values of their labor.

Employers alone did not create their nation's financial and economic environment. I did not contend acting in self-interest is evil; I stated that efforts to demean others are generally evil acts.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:30 PM

18,898 posts, read 14,088,508 times
Quote:
JetGraphics, efforts to demean others are a greater evil.
Denouncing collective bargaining as evil is not demeaning. It's just a fact. But if facts are evil, we're toast, my friend.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,405,586 times
Draw your own conclusions from this, but the political orientations (thus beliefs, in the vast majority of cases) are determined by a number of factors:

- Geographic location of the work, influenced by the local culture
- Overall goal and purpose of the work being performed
- Whether or not someone is in charge of others, or even works in a more powerful yet indirectly superior capacity
- The degree of autonomy allowed by a role, and how law and regulations impact the ability to earn one's income

I found this chart, and I'd like to get some opinions on it. Democratic vs. Republican occupations

Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,901,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
In general, I don't see fast food workers staying at the same job (on AVERAGE) long enough to even start any type of organized labor force. I was told by a McDonald's GM that the average annual attrition is 200%, meaning each position can be expected to turn over twice in a given year. 4 months.

It's possible, but is it likely? Considering the franchise locations are independently owned and operated. I just don't see your fears coming true - not with fast food workers, any way.

Now, one area that DOES get a lot of attention is warehouse workers. Teamsters. Historically, according to the DoL, dock work is considered unskilled, however, that is subject to interpretation:

- Is a loader operating a motorized pallet jack unskilled? (Answers will vary)
- Is a forklift driver unskilled? (Answers will vary)
- Is a semi truck driver unskilled? (Careful!)
- is a crane operator unskilled? (NO!)

I think if you can demonstrate that the workers in a given title are career-oriented, have an average tenure of greater than one year, and are part of a career pathway to gain skills and move within the company - as they should be - then that's a solid operation with dedicated employees. I'd hold that group in as high esteem as skilled labor, regardless of DoL definitions.
There has been a boom of building warehouses in my area for awhile. Largely because the operations are moving out of the neighboring union state to our non-union one. Warehouses here pay low wages, no benefits, and are sweatshop conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics