Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,140,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Today I talked with someone who has one of "those" mortgages, the ones where you only pay the interest payments for a certain number of years and now in about 5 months her payment is going to triple because now the principal is coming due also. I thought those loans were part of the recession problem and no longer given out. Don't know how they even qualified for this mortgage because their income is very limited. There is no money to fix or maintain. I fear a foreclosure is in their future.

How many of those loans are still out there?
Kind of doubt her payment is going to triple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 02:05 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Today I talked with someone who has one of "those" mortgages, the ones where you only pay the interest payments for a certain number of years and now in about 5 months her payment is going to triple because now the principal is coming due also. I thought those loans were part of the recession problem and no longer given out. Don't know how they even qualified for this mortgage because their income is very limited. There is no money to fix or maintain. I fear a foreclosure is in their future.

Nothing wrong with that, I did a 4% interest only loan because I didn’t want to screw around with the banks so I borrowed from my dad. I have no desire to waste thousands on BS like an appraisal or a bunch of other hoops that accomplish nothing. I paid down the bulk of the loan last month and will finish it off later this year. It was just a short term bridge loan between investments paying out, so it made the most sense.

Maybe not right for everyone but when it’s some tiny amount like $115K it makes sense.

The issue with in some markets the luxury market, like Vegas right now, isn’t the inventory or time on market, it’s the outdated styles. There are tons of $1M homes for sale so inventory is very high compared to your average and meh houses, but there are very few modern style homes whatsoever. The inventory is tiny and buyers in that realm don’t want an old, 12-20 years dated home that isn’t modern, they want something that reflects current trends. So those old houses sit. Ten years ago, there was one builder already building modern homes and those are of great appeal, but the ones building crappy looking Mediterranean or southwestern style homes... their buyers can’t sell them quickly.

Old 09-19-2018, 03:09 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Houses are selling fast at record prices here in S-E Michigan. Our son found the same dynamic when he rocated to Pittsburgh early this summer. I agree that Real Estate is cyclical but I have not yet seen evidence of any slowdown indicating the market is approaching its peak.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Exactly.... homes in the 650 and under are selling fast... homes at million... not so much.
The one for $699 is pending now, 7 days on the market. The one at $779 has dropped the price by $30k.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Houses are selling fast at record prices here in S-E Michigan. Our son found the same dynamic when he rocated to Pittsburgh early this summer. I agree that Real Estate is cyclical but I have not yet seen evidence of any slowdown indicating the market is approaching its peak.
Second verse, same as the first!

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...t-time-3-years

Trouble ahead?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...h-future-ahead

Oh, dear. Never mind the *******s, here come the HELOCs. (unbelievable, CD is starring out the word "boll locks". That's a bad word? Why?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...ome-equity-get

Old 09-20-2018, 11:56 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
While I agree that lending standards are more strict, our economy is very uncertain. And with more people than ever living paycheck-to paycheck, and with more people taking out more debt than ever before, there's going to be a surplus of people who cannot afford to pay for their mortgage if/when a recession hits. (depending on the recession) Even though lending companies are more strict with their standards, they cannot help people's stupidity with debt and with people living beyond their means.
And as soon as you think you are stable, something comes in and causes your situation to be shaky.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
And as soon as you think you are stable, something comes in and causes your situation to be shaky.
Yup, that is a huge issue ever since the great recession. There is zero stability now.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
So many ways to look at stability...

Health is your wealth is a phrase I heard often... or if you only have money problems... you really are blessed.

In financial terms... being debt free with a reserve tend to make one very stabile...

Being over extended or a house of cards where one thing not going to plan causes collapse is the other side.

Again... Health is the wild card... seen too many in their prime go out early...

If you puchase a home to live in... no matter what the market does you home still fills the primary function of being a roof over your head.

Those purchasing on specultation will be the first to bail in rough spots.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:21 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Quote:

Who knows.
Sounds like a balloon loan thru a private sale. Does not sound like a conforming loan since 2008.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:19 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Higher end of the market seems to be struggling. Since it's September, the peak spring/summer selling season is winding down as well.

Locally, it was a busy selling season. Prices in NW NJ plummeted during the recession and still haven't recovered but it's picked up over the past couple years. Lack of public transportation and high property taxes also contribute to keeping prices down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics