Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 03:46 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The last Micky D's I went into had 4 or 5 iPad like devices the size of my torso standing in the lobby. I ordered, grabbed a numbered table tent, sat down and my food was delivered.
The beginning of the end is near for the fast food worker.
That’s true, but I think the employees still working there make more than $10 an hour.

And these are mostly Hispanics who speak very little English.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
how can anyone with a sound mind think the US economy is doing "great"? I have never seen so many crummy jobs paying $10 or $12 an hour. many don't even pay $9/hourly. the wages adjusted for inflation are probably slightly less than they were 20 years ago. america is a declining economy and it's getting worse. we're not going to believe this propaganda coming from Mr. Trump and the US media. i've never believed it. nothing but lies! people are defaulting on student loans and living in cars and i'm sure it hasn't slowed down lately. does that sound like a "boom" to you?
Manufacturing will never see a renaissance in the US. The automobile industry can wax and wane with employment numbers, but we will never again see as much employment in furniture factories, tobacco factories, or steel mills. This segment is all but gone.

There is a higher bar for $20 an hour than there was 20 years ago. It's more than just showing up on time and keeping up with production. This "boom" is largely focused on the white collar sector and to a few STEM majors. Hyper-focused to a few niche roles, if you will.

If you're not the college type, now is an excellent time to enter a trade. Not necessarily plumbing or construction - you can work for a telephone company, railroad, power company (lineman). The jobs are there, just not a lot of people wanting to do them.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:51 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,700,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
You are reading the month of July, not the year.
No, here is a quote from the link

“Real average hourly earnings decreased 0.2 percent, seasonally adjusted, from July 2017 to July 2018”

Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Since the OP isn't supporting their claims and making a bizarrely wild statement that the US is in an economic crisis I asked the mod to move this to the politics\controversies forum as this forum is for actual adult discussions of economics.
thanks for your report. This thread is clearly partisan and contrary to the economics forum guidelines. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics