U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,887,803 times

Advertisements

why not just get a full time job with a graphics design firm, that way you will have a steady flow of income not to mention the all important benefits
this could build your savings up faster to help with your future plans
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 06:12 AM

29,042 posts, read 47,363,332 times
Let me quote my mother's favorite saying... "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is!" There are ways to make legitimate money online, but it's not through "get rich quick" schemes such as this. The only money you should MAYBE spend is $10-15 on a book, about starting your own business - and even that can be obtained for free at the library.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 AM

29,042 posts, read 47,363,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you truly want to make a little bit of money on the side, study up on poker. I play online at PokerStars a couple times per week, usually $1/$2 blinds. And watch the WPT or WSOP on tv, learn to play like the pros. But beware, there are sharks that will take you for a huge amount of money. One night I lost nearly $3000 to a shark:eek! But on the other hand, I won $4800 in a tournament.
I'm a poker player myself, but not online... it's too scary for me to bet "fake real money", if you know what I mean. But my mother and I play at the card rooms, and usually go home with a nice profit. She plays more often than I do, typically winning $1000+ every month from tournaments. Not a bad way to supplement the income, if you know what you're doing.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:53 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,597,341 times
My theory is... why would I PAY someone to HIRE me as an employee?
I don't pay for a job, I get a job and THEY pay ME!
You want to make money easier than that? Buy stuff in bulk and sell it on ebay individually. That's the easiest thing I can think of. My friend does it in England and makes loads of money on stuff she buys dirt cheap.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 AM

4,321 posts, read 13,880,037 times
If you have to pay them, then it's a s c a m , that simple.

You can research a company online to see if it's a - s c a m easily.

Type words like "s c a m", "review", "complaints" with the name of the company in a Google search box and if anyone had direct experience with that company will have probably said something on the internet. Here are some good sites to do research:
complaints.com
ripoffreport.com

Also, go to the BBB for the state they are located and Consumer Affairs to find information.

Do not send money to anyone. I was scammed once for over $6,000 (embarassed to say) but finially got my money back.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:13 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,597,341 times
Another thing, I posted this on another thread in here
go to ripoffreport.com
They are like the opposite of BBB. Consumers, employees etc can file reports with the site and that way you can see how other's real expirences are. Its really helpful. Look up the companies that you are thinking of applying for, and see if anyone has bad stuff to say about them.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:17 PM

152 posts, read 700,391 times
If money was easy people would be busy making money not writing books that take time.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:43 AM

122 posts, read 366,158 times
Default Here's a real money maker

This just fits too perfectly with this thread... http://www.buymystupidebook.com/

Enjoy!
------------------------
Quote:
You want to make money easier than that? Buy stuff in bulk and sell it on ebay individually.
You can do that with college textbooks. The universities all overcharge- I saved tons of money ordering from a bookstore when I went to school. Some people buy them from other countries (A publisher might ship from the US to Canada, and then a student will get it shipped to him/her in America for cheaper than if they bought in the US! Whack, I know.) Just make sure you have a source of demand before acquiring the supply.

Quote:
Type words like "s c a m", "review", "complaints" with the name of the company in a Google search
I use "company or product sucks". That's how I found the DP forum .

Old 12-20-2006, 12:58 AM

1,459 posts, read 4,233,896 times
Most of the scams people fall for are legal because they don't read the fine print. I'll give you a perfect example: I know this couple that got a letter from California saying they had won a boat (**** this is funny) and they needed to send $1800.00 for shipping charges. So they called a phone # that they were told too call, what they got was instructions on how to send the money.

So they wired the money, and their boat was delivered in 2 weeks as promised, but the big kicker is the boat was a 4 man inflatable boat you can buy for less than a $100.00. They take the letter they got to their attorney and he tells them they have been scamed and it's all legal. What made the **** legal was, (1) they got a boat as promised,(2) no where in the letter did it specify what type of boat it was. They could not get their money back.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 AM

2,909 posts, read 13,339,690 times
I think they should have asked what type of boat they were getting and why, how did they win? If in doubt, use escrow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics