U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,325,261 times

Advertisements

Forget anything that makes you, make jewelry. You make it or buy the stuff to make it from them. Then send it to them. And they reject it. Send it back in your prepaid envelope, you send it with the origional shipment. It is a scam!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 97,875 times
Default Scam Or Not A Scam

Anything that makes the claim of instant riches is not telling you the whole truth. But that does not necessarily make it a scam. A scam is when they take your money and run like the nigerian rich guy scam. Over promising and underdelivering is not a scam. It may be misleading but it is not a scam.

Never is this more true than with the many late night t.v real estate gurus that promise you riches in real estate. Yes real estate has made many people very wealthy, it takes a lot of work and dedication.

What kills me most is the ridiculous amounts of money that these "Gurus" charge for their courses. I've seen some for $1000's of dollars. And this is for information that you could get from a any realtor who knows how to play the game.

Check out Moderator cut: commercial link/advertising for $10! Not $1,000!

As far as the other various MLM programs out there, you have to realize that anything that you undertake is going to take some effort focus and discipline.

Take Care
Huntman1

Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,278 times
Default You can't get rich quick.

Please - be careful! As far as filling out surveys, yes you can sign up for free but for all the time you'll put into it, you'll get paid peanuts. I was signed up on three sites, and was inundated with surveys several times a day, yet only had about $17 to show for it at the end of the year.

I'm not personally familiar with the pyramid schemes or MLM's (is that what Amway's considered?) but I know someone who's fallen for these three times, that's how good they are at recruiting people. The sales pitch is great, the products sound great, but when you try to sell them you find out everyone else is either selling them or buying them from their own family. So all you end up doing is trying to get other people to sign up for the programs.

As for eBay, the most important thing is check feedback! The next most important thing is pay through a souce where you have protection if anything goes wrong, such as Paypal. I paid someone with a personal check recently (someone I had dealt with twice before with no problem) and never received my items. When I tried to open a dispute, I was told it would be harder to get resolution because I had paid with a personal check.

Many of you will not want to here this, but you don't get something for nothing!!

If you want to make money, or are trying to get out of debt: 1) Work! There are no shortcuts. There are legitimate franchises, but you have to invest money and hard work. DO YOUR RESEARCH: see the websites I've listed below.* 2) If you have lost your job, or are in over your head with debt, contact a credit counseling service (a free one, not one that charges) or see a financial counselor if you can afford one - it's worth it. They can help you come up with a plan for eliminating debt, and the rest is up to you - you have to take responsibility! 3) You may have to buckle down and cut expenses, that is do without the Starbucks, movies, etc. My husband and I don't spend much on dinners out or other entertainment, but we are hoping to buy our dream house this summer, which will last a lot longer than a latte' or a designer handbag. By the way, we are in our forties and have sacrificed in order to do this. My husband lived with his parents for a while so he could buy this this house the house we live in now. I lived with four roommates at one time so I could go back to college and get an education and get a better job. Our house isn't a mansion, but we consider ourselves fortunate to have it. There are people in other countries who don't even have food or shelter. (Maybe do charity work or sponsor a child in South America so you can put things in perspective and realize there is always someone worse off.) Money is NOT the most important thing - I nearly ruined my health trying to stay at a very stressful job. I'm making half what I used to now, but am starting to take care of myself. All the money in the world won't help you if your body breaks down or you start having high blood pressure.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I've been where some of you are and have learned my lessons.

One more thing: I've noticed that the majority of posts on these types of forums are people sincerely trying to help each other. However, they seem to attract a small minority who appear to sympathize that you've been ripped off, but then say they can tell you the REAL way to make money - please!!

Helpful websites:

ConsumerAffairs.Com: Knowledge is Power! Consumer news, reviews, complaints, resources, safety recalls
Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers
BBBOnLine, Inc. -- Promoting Trust and Confidence on the Internet (Better Business Bureau)

Old 07-22-2007, 11:58 PM

15,583 posts, read 38,051,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Favored1 View Post
Would you like to own a online travel agency? Booking travel for yourself,family and friends and getting the commission thats already added in sent back to you? Sing up the graphic design companies that you freelance for and get commission off their travels sales. It's a win win situation. Many other perks involved.
Is this a singing audition, or what???

Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 AM

419 posts, read 2,108,280 times
At the bottom of this page is says...

Are they ALL scams? - Find a way to make some real money not some scam or get rich fast (Roadmap to Riches)

...yes they are all scams.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:27 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,457,261 times
IF and when you start making more that a piddly amount of money doing these surveys, please let us know.

I know it sounds good, but if it really were, there would be zillions of people doing it.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:02 AM

69,078 posts, read 16,985,725 times
If that's the truth,eveyone would be rich!
You would fill out questionares after questionares,filling out your name,your name goes around the world,what happens to you later?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM

10 posts, read 24,617 times
My Mom and I tried surveys a while back just to see what they were all about. Most places offered points or entered you into a drawing for cash, etc... It was definately NOT worth it! It took too much time and the few that did pay didn't pay much. There were 2 companies (out of the dozens that we looked into) that actually sent a check each time a survey was completed, one paid $1 and the other paid $5 per survey. Seriously, it was a waste of time for us, thank goodness we were only doing it for fun!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,406,466 times
Not to sound harsh, but you'd think people would eventually catch on to get rich quick scams, make $1,000 in your underwear, learn no money down real estate in 30 minutes, 900 numbers, "Cash flow" systems, or any kind of quick, easy, 1-2-3 money making system.

People eventually catch onto things.

If people buy a junk car, a lemon..and it brakes down in a few years, you learn your lesson and buy a better car. A toyota or something.

Or if you go to a restaurant and get bad service, usually you don't go back.

Or if you go on a trip and go to a place that you hate. You wouldn't keep going back!

All these scams are pretty much the same...real estate infomercials, stock/forex trading, business deals (read about smc on INFOMERCIAL SCAMS.COM - SMC COMPLAINTS )

-It's always something in a box, a kit, a system. Listen to this and your life will never be the same! All the answers are in 12 CD's and a little book. Buy the dream house you've always wanted and ride off into the sunset.

-They usually start with something cheap to get you started. A free seminar. A $39 product. A $20 book.

-Then move you on up the ladder to a $495 course, or a $1,995 seminar. This is what you really need to succeed!

And it's a never ending cycle.

You can make money in the world, but these guys are giving you a very, very simplified, very over priced set of answers.

-Always do your own research. Most people spend weeks or months researching where to buy a laptop, or what car to buy. Why would anyone buy $1,000 courses or get involved in something they don't know anything about?

-Come up with your own answers, you'll never make much money following a formula.

-I would never ever buy anything on a deadline, or anything high pressured, or "you have to buy now". Nothing in the world is that important or that exclusive.

The infomerical scam site is interesting...infomercialscams.com

Hope nobody here has been taken by any of these guys.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 PM

3 posts, read 7,354 times
The multi-level marketing model is a valid distribution model that has been abused my many con artists. Just because a company has this structure does not mean it is automatically bad. There are some key questions to ask, one of the most pertinent is to determine if the services/products being distributed are competitively priced with other distribution channels (i.e., retail, mail-order, internet, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics