Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 10:15 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,804,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Cash? What is that. I have not carried cash for years.
It's tough to buy into a higher stakes poker game at the Bellagio without cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 08:24 PM

1,896 posts, read 805,678 times
Per the article:

Quote:
Yet, in interviews and anecdotally, a more nuanced picture emerges. After banks received generous tax cuts in December, several of the nation’s largest -- including Wells Fargo & Co., PNC Financial Services Group Inc. and Fifth Third Bancorp -- said they’re raising their minimum wage to $15 an hour.
Branches and tellers aren’t going away entirely. Instead, as customers turn to mobile phones for routine financial services, tellers are being upgraded, taught to pitch loans, guide local entrepreneurs and offer technical support. The result is that at many lenders, a job widely seen as endangered by automation is starting to pay more.

The financial sector was more heavily taxed than other sectors and seems a little is trickling down.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,459,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It's tough to buy into a higher stakes poker game at the Bellagio without cash.
This is pretty much the only reason I use cash. In the thread about what's the most you feel comfortable walking around with I say to myself, about 15 grand. Haha.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,162,518 times
I'm at my personal bank once a month. Then at my business bank I'm there several times a month. At the personal bank a teller once asked me couldn't I do it through my phone? No not my phone. I'm usually the only one there. They have use of a bunch of my money so I don't think they should complain when I come by to put more in. It's annoying to think people don't want to physically wait on me any more.

I used to go by a different bank and stop to pay my credit card bill. Just because it was convenient and I didn't do it online. I got tired of them telling me over and over I could do it online. So I use a different card now.

In a lot of things with our business and personal stuff I notice there is little to no customer service any more. People expect us to do it all for ourselves.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:22 AM

12,659 posts, read 8,879,910 times
We do some stuff by on line banking, but there are still things that need to be done in person. It's not the technology that's the limit but the complexity of what you're trying to accomplish. Some financial tasks are just easier to let the person who does it every day do than spend time trying to figure it out at home.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:24 AM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,228,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My friend is a part-time bank teller and they started her out at 16/hr, which is good for here. Just 5 years or so ago I was thinking of becoming a teller while I was in college, but they paid min wage then. I made more working in the food service industry. Plus, they always start you out at part-time and I needed full-time.

My friend says they are usually pretty busy. Sometimes they have down-time, but it's not a lot.

I never go to my bank unless I have a check for some reason.
I deposit my checks at the ATM ...have done that for years.

I try to avoid going to a teller as much as possible....at my bank they are told to be
friendly and have a conversation, a little too friendly, always asking what “I’m planning to do with the money”
I feel like saying...”I’m going to Vegas to blow it on hookers and blow”
Like I said, they’re too friendly, give me an ATM everytime

Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 PM

2,872 posts, read 2,041,268 times
A lot of the raises have to do with the tax cuts. https://www.wsj.com/articles/banks-a...ees-1513809227
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics