Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 12:46 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
America is becoming a high COL/low wage country.
This has been the case for atleast the past 10 years. No different than Norway, Japan, Singapore, Denmark, etc.

Rich highly developed countries largely outsource their labor or employ it to foreigners on H1 Visa for the cheap. Apple makes their products in China, not America. Google employs educated Indian immigrates, not just Americans.

America is largely a "managerial white collar" job market and if you can't find a decent paying job it's because your specialty no longer exists.

I'm getting my Masters degree in Cybersecurity from a regionally accredited online school, each class is $4K and 12 weeks long (6 different classes total). That's the type sacrifice one has to make in order to keep pace with the changes of the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:39 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This has been the case for atleast the past 10 years. No different than Norway, Japan, Singapore, Denmark, etc.

Rich highly developed countries largely outsource their labor or employ it to foreigners on H1 Visa for the cheap. Apple makes their products in China, not America. Google employs educated Indian immigrates, not just Americans.

America is largely a "managerial white collar" job market and if you can't find a decent paying job it's because your specialty no longer exists.

I'm getting my Masters degree in Cybersecurity from a regionally accredited online school, each class is $4K and 12 weeks long (6 different classes total). That's the type sacrifice one has to make in order to keep pace with the changes of the job market.
Wise words on the US being high COL/low wage (from quote above).

Good on what you're doing Rocko20.

Do you have a background in tech and/or IT?

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 AM

665 posts, read 613,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
America is becoming a high COL/low wage country.
+1.

We may already be there now. There's no indication that wages will be on the rise in the future even alot of companies are sitting on large cash reserves.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:13 AM

184 posts, read 205,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
America is bursting at the seams with opportunities. We are incredibly spoiled. My sister studied in Nicaragua for her master's degree and met her husband, a smart, talented engineer and artist. This guy is brilliant. He can build a house, run plumbing to irrigate crops, paint stunning murals, fix Japanese cars with parts designed for American cars, and he speaks three languages. My youngest brother dropped out of college three weeks into the semester and spent the next 5 years of his life bouncing around menial jobs occasionally getting arrested for smoking pot. Finally he got a job delivering and installing jukeboxes and other devices at bars and restaurants.

My brother makes twice my sister's husband's salary, and his benefits are better as well. He has a nicer house, a nicer car, and he is able to live close to family, while my sister's husband has been forced to bounce around central America to find work. My youngest brother is the least prosperous member of my extended family, yet he would be at the very high end of upper middle class in the majority of the hemisphere. My brother spends more money feeding his dogs each month than many of my sister's in-laws spend feeding their whole families.

What you just described is called white privilege.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 AM

641 posts, read 1,073,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
"White privilege" is the result of generations of hard work, invention, organization, and smart investing. There is no such thing as white privilege, whites did a fantastic job on planet earth and have built everything that they own. And they invented about everything that you take for granted, such as this Internet.

As an employer, I'm happy to hire anyone who can do a good job and help us make more money. Race is not really a factor.

Last edited by teakboat; 09-05-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-05-2018, 08:56 AM

813 posts, read 601,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Noooo, but it is a privilege of living in the USA.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:40 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
Default Americans also AVOID Dr. trips because

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverJC View Post
Hardly surprising, given the state of our healthcare system a medical emergency is more than enough to make a middle-class family struggling to get by.
And it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: Americans avoid trips to the Dr. that could CATCH issues before they become so major, requiring an expensive intervention, and by then it's too late or the price of their house.

fyi: our family compound is in El Monte, around the corner from you. Mom and dad got private insurance but there is a sunset clause, and we'll keep her in the home. But most families never plan ahead and the American govt. is about to do the Chairman Mao three steps backward on health care, after talking about it since the fifties, half a century ago.

fyi; Senator Ted Kenndys' big issue since the fifties was pushing a Health Care Act. I call it "Kennedy Care", NOT Obamacare. Obama simply and finally pushed the Democratic Parties platform on health care that had been around since I was in junior high school.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
So much nonsense in one place it’s unreal. Communism is the same as capitalism to the common man?! Ok I didn’t realize the 100 million people who died under communist governments was about the same thing as a poor American being stuck with a 50” older TV and only basic cable in their apartment LOL.

Let’s cut the crap too, if you can’t afford a $500 emergency like most Americans can’t, it’s not because of some economic injustice it’s because you suck at life. Unless you’re like 19 and your parents kicked you out, there’s no excuse for that absolutely pathetic statistic. You can and should be living on far less and saving more, even if that means roommates and public transit and not eating out. But if 77% of people can’t afford a $500 emergency yet most people drink, way more than 23% own homes, waaaay more than that have kids, these people have immense and numerous large unnecessary expenses. I don’t know where they think they were promised houses, kids, booze, cable, and meals out without any skilled jobs but the reason they have no savings is because they’re financial morons not because life is unfair to them.

Also it’s WRONG that teachers have multiple master degrees or something and make no money. That’s nonsense. That’s a myth perpetuated by society that’s completely untrue. In my area, the WA teachers went on strike *for grade school* despite a massive supply of teachers and much lower demand. They’re all way overpaid! The market decides your labor value not degrees. And these people refused a $69,000/year salary and again $71,000!!! For getting a hundred stupid holidays off and summers and long winter breaks and spring break. I WISH they made $29,000/year, that’s all they deserve, but sadly they make more than most engineers do for the mediocre education they provide.

If you are stuck making minimum wage after 20 years that’s a YOU problem not an economy problem. You have no marketable skills or value to the market and beyond that haven’t even used your brain to figure out if there’s opportunity on your own to make more money, rather than just look for jobs. When you always are looking for a wage job your very mindset is wage slave, because you’re depending on someone else’s assessment of what you’re worth. If you think you’re worth more, start a business and find out. It could be some random thing on weekends like detailing peoples cars or hauling stuff to the dumpster or whatever else.

Some people just like to make life a lot harder than it is by making constant excuses. My GF literally walked into a restaurant and was hired on the spot at minimum wage but makes $25/hour including tips. She doesn’t even use her degree but also has no student loans (thanks to me). You can’t make more than $10/hour?! I mean it was literally the easiest thing in the world for her to make $25/hour, nothing could be simpler.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:13 AM

185 posts, read 143,321 times
"Some people just like to make life a lot harder than it is by making constant excuses. My GF literally walked into a restaurant and was hired on the spot at minimum wage but makes $25/hour including tips. She doesn’t even use her degree but also has no student loans (thanks to me). You can’t make more than $10/hour?! I mean it was literally the easiest thing in the world for her to make $25/hour, nothing could be simpler."

JLB,

Some of your comments strike me the wrong way, but I ADMIT, I think harder like that.... But this one, oh it's a jewel!!! This new 'yuppie' gen set thinks all you need is some paper and you're set. They forget about all the networking and cronyism that land young ones their big check. Instead they imagine that since they love to finger paint and are therefore 'creative,' that they should be in charge.....

When all it really takes, is simply moving a little.... just a little, like through a door to fill out an application. And not an unemployment application.

I should offer a class on how easy it is to make TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars WITHOUT a degree. While oral and written communication skills help greatly and some basic math, a lot more, those with a little initiative will take you out of the poor house.

Go figure, a lowly waitress making $25/hr..... and that's with all the 'cheap charlies and ladies' who NEVER tip. Good for her!!!! (or him too).

Old 09-05-2018, 12:20 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
We pay out more for healthcare than our mortgage with 10% down just aBout 3 years ago. That's ridiculous! And for my OH we have to spend more than $5k on top of premiums to get anything covered.
I know there were many other items in the quoted post, but I wanted to highlight this item. I am now spending 15k/ year on health (insurance plus costs). This is for two healthy 40-somethings. This item will overtake my mortgage in annual cost soon. My property taxes already did :-O

Both political parties must come together to figure out how to reduce the cost of the medical-industrial complex in the US. It's gotten way out-of-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics