Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 07:47 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So what form did it pass, and when was it changed. President Trump failed to get it repealed, so he didn't do anything to it.

What funding provision isn't being followed?
They wanted a public option such as Medicare. Obviously it passed in the form that it operated in for multiple years, without that piece.

Aside from stopping all the education about the ACA and getting rid of the helplines etc in an effort to decrease enrollment especially in the young, there’ve been many attempts to kill it passively since Trump has been in office. He couldn’t get it repealed so he is letting it die through underfunding.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/13/new...ies/index.html

That’s just one. If you Google Obamacare not being funded you’ll get a plethora of articles. Because of the underfunding, private insurance rates are expected to skyrocket this year. Mine is the cheapest Blue Cross plan there is and it’s $700 a month. I’m just hoping it stays under $1000 when I get my letter this fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 02:59 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
So what form did it pass, and when was it changed. President Trump failed to get it repealed, so he didn't do anything to it.
1. Trump greatly reduced funding for open enrollment advertising. Less people enrolling hurts the program and raises costs.

2. Trump stopped paying cost sharing subsidies that reimburse insurers for lowering out of pocket and deductibles. This caused insurers to raise rates.

3. He signed into law elimination of the individual mandate, again less people hurts the program and the mandate was what was encouraging healthy people to sign up.

There have been good changes too, especially related to special enrollment options where people could potentially abuse the system by just signing up when sick, there are now more requirements for proof of job loss etc.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:09 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The thing is, you were born intelligent and with good financial sense, and in most cases, with parents and people around you having stocks, investing, etc. If you grow up in a lower income rural farm community, or blue collar or a lot of areas with less college educated people, and no one you've ever known personally has ever said a word about stocks and investing, and they take you to the mall to spend your birthday money, it wouldn't even occur to you that investing was something regular people did.

Neither my mother or my brother drink, have tattoos, pets (my brother had a dog when he was married though) or kids outside marriage. As I said, he was an auto mechanic paying for two households after his wife left, and my mom was forced into the workforce with 2 kids in 1967 when my father suffered a brain injury. Neither had a cent left over to put in the stock market nor had either had someone who taught them about money.

These scenarios are common in these areas, divorce, higher disability rates due to very physical and sometimes dangerous jobs, etc.

Yes, I understand free will and choice, but it is not nearly as easy as some seem to think to break these cycles. They do often make it worse. Stressed people drink more and smoke more. People who grow up where many people smoke and drink also smoke and drink more. They don't decide to start smoking at 30, they do this at 12 when we're all still stupid about life, and then they are addicted. As an ex-smoker I can attest how hard it was and it took me years to be successful at quitting.
This may have been true before the internet age but as one poster mentioned with the whole knowledge of humanity at your fingertip; no one is the US can use the excuses you mentioned. If you want to succeed and break out of your lifestyle you will. Sure there will still be some unlucky people who may not succeed even when they truly try because of bad luck. However, they are in the minority.

I had all the disadvantages you mentioned and then some. Yet, I made it out of poverty out of sheer will. Let me list the advantages I had:

1.My parents told me to go get an education. However, that was literally the extent of their help in me getting an education. They gave me zero guidance or assistance.

2. My parents were frugal with money. However, they never actively taught me anything regarding finances, savings etc. I didn't know what stocks were either until I researched them on my own on the internet when I was 19.

Disadvantages:
1. Parents were immigrants so they literally knew nothing about the US culture, social norms, economics, rules, laws etc. So they taught me nothing. I had to learn it all on my own.

2. I grew up way below poverty. The type of poverty where 4 people live on $14-17K/year in the 2000's. And no, we did not have any assistance from the government. No food stamps, no section 8, nothing...... They actually were qualified for both but didn't even know those programs existed. That's how little my parents knew about the US.

3. I had zero connections with anybody who could even remotely help me.

4. English is not my first language and like my parents I wasn't born here. Therefore, I had to learn everything from #1 by myself.

5. I grew up in a terrible neighborhood. You know the type where half the kids belong to gangs, start doing drugs in middle school and start having kids at 15.

6. Everyone around me (besides my parents) had zero financial knowledge, did drugs/drank, spent money frivolously and did not value education.

7. I had no real mentor who taught me anything. Literally everything I know today was self taught.

And there are more disadvantages I went through. Some of which I care not to share. However, I made it my business to want to succeed. I ACTIVELY chose not to drink, do drugs, get a girl pregnant, join a gang etc. no matter how much my life sucked. My hard work has paid off. Currently, my worst case scenario is I retire at 46 and never work again. And if I get a little lucky I can retire in less then 4 years and well before I reach 40.

Some people may make the argument that I'm just an outlier. However, lightening does not strike twice in the same place. So my counter is my younger sister. She had the same will to succeed as myself. She is currently an MD. So I must say the points you mentioned are obsolete in this day and age. I will leave you with one last example of just how much power the internet gives you if you choose to utilize it:

Recently I needed to get hurricane shutters for my entire house. The cost? (lowest quotes I received) $22K for accordion shutters or $45K for impact windows. I was not going to pay that much without trying to cut costs even though I could pay $45K in cash. The reason I mention this is because I could actually afford either option with ease but I still wanted to see if I could save money. So I researched the hell out of shutter options for a week and found a new type of shutter. I also found that the company sells direct to consumer with a guide on how to install the shutters yourself.

So I chose that option and guess what I paid? $6K Meaning I saved anywhere from $16K-39K by utilizing the power of the internet. The future investment value of that savings in 30 years if I just leave it in an index fund is anywhere from $204K-495K. However, I have better investments that I will sink that money into and make even more. And that's just one example out of my life. Most people in the US only have themselves to blame for their failure. Only a minority can blame failures on bad luck.

Last edited by griffon652; 09-10-2018 at 09:22 AM..

Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
Most people in the US only have themselves to blame for their failure. Only a minority can blame failures on bad luck.
Extremely true.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They wanted a public option such as Medicare. Obviously it passed in the form that it operated in for multiple years, without that piece.

Aside from stopping all the education about the ACA and getting rid of the helplines etc in an effort to decrease enrollment especially in the young, there’ve been many attempts to kill it passively since Trump has been in office. He couldn’t get it repealed so he is letting it die through underfunding.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/10/13/new...ies/index.html

That’s just one. If you Google Obamacare not being funded you’ll get a plethora of articles. Because of the underfunding, private insurance rates are expected to skyrocket this year. Mine is the cheapest Blue Cross plan there is and it’s $700 a month. I’m just hoping it stays under $1000 when I get my letter this fall.
So it is somehow President Trump's fault Congress failed to fund these all-important subsidies? Those subsidies were ruled unconstitutional .... he was supposed to violate a judges's ruling because Congress didn't feel like doing their job?

I have dealt with the ACA without helplines and government education .... can you demonstrate that these were actually of any use?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:53 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
This may have been true before the internet age but as one poster mentioned with the whole knowledge of humanity at your fingertip; no one is the US can use the excuses you mentioned. If you want to succeed and break out of your lifestyle you will. Sure there will still be some unlucky people who may not succeed even when they truly try because of bad luck. However, they are in the minority.

I had all the disadvantages you mentioned and then some. Yet, I made it out of poverty out of sheer will. Let me list the advantages I had:

1.My parents told me to go get an education. However, that was literally the extent of their help in me getting an education. They gave me zero guidance or assistance.

2. My parents were frugal with money. However, they never actively taught me anything regarding finances, savings etc. I didn't know what stocks were either until I researched them on my own on the internet when I was 19.

Disadvantages:
1. Parents were immigrants so they literally knew nothing about the US culture, social norms, economics, rules, laws etc. So they taught me nothing. I had to learn it all on my own.

2. I grew up way below poverty. The type of poverty where 4 people live on $14-17K/year in the 2000's. And no, we did not have any assistance from the government. No food stamps, no section 8, nothing...... They actually were qualified for both but didn't even know those programs existed. That's how little my parents knew about the US.

4. English is not my first language and like my parents I wasn't born here. Therefore, I had to learn everything from #1 by myself.

5. I grew up in a terrible neighborhood. You know the type where half the kids belong to gangs, start doing drugs in middle school and start having kids at 15.

6. Everyone around me (besides my parents) had zero financial knowledge, did drugs/drank, spent money frivolously and did not value education.

7. I had no real mentor who taught me anything. Literally everything I know today was self taught.

And there are more disadvantages I went through. Some of which I care not to share. However, I made it my business to want to succeed. I ACTIVELY chose not to drink, do drugs, get a girl pregnant, join a gang etc. no matter how much my life sucked. My hard work has paid off. Currently, my worst case scenario is I retire at 46 and never work again. And if I get a little lucky I can retire in less then 4 years and well before I reach 40.

Some people may make the argument that I'm just an outlier. However, lightening does not strike twice in the same place. So my counter is my younger sister. She had the same will to succeed as myself. She is currently an MD. So I must say the points you mentioned are obsolete in this day and age. I will leave you with one last example of just how much power the internet gives you if you choose to utilize it:

Recently I needed to get hurricane shutters for my entire house. The cost? (lowest quotes I received) $22K for accordion shutters or $45K for impact windows. I was not going to pay that much without trying to cut costs even though I could pay $45K in cash. The reason I mention this is because I could actually afford either option with ease but I still wanted to see if I could save money. So I researched the hell out of shutter options for a week and found a new type of shutter. I also found that the company sells direct to consumer with a guide on how to install the shutters yourself.

So I chose that option and guess what I paid? $6K Meaning I saved anywhere from $16K-39K by utilizing the power of the internet. The future investment value of that savings in 30 years if I just leave it in an index fund is anywhere from $204K-495K. However, I have better investments that I will sink that money into and make even more. And that's just one example out of my life. Most people in the US only have themselves to blame for their failure. Only a minority can blame failures on bad luck.
My best friend is a cardiologist and from India. He went to medical school and India's version of residency in India and gained several years (5?) experience with the intent to move to The US. He did only to find out is Indian credentials were only good enough to earn a spot in the US residency match system set aside for international students............he had to complete a six year residency.

Fast forward, and this guy born elsewhere, with an Indian accent and lover of red curry goat and all the rest is the best American I know.

He says, fairly often, that low achievers in The US would die in India within weeks.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
1. Trump greatly reduced funding for open enrollment advertising. Less people enrolling hurts the program and raises costs.

2. Trump stopped paying cost sharing subsidies that reimburse insurers for lowering out of pocket and deductibles. This caused insurers to raise rates.

3. He signed into law elimination of the individual mandate, again less people hurts the program and the mandate was what was encouraging healthy people to sign up.

There have been good changes too, especially related to special enrollment options where people could potentially abuse the system by just signing up when sick, there are now more requirements for proof of job loss etc.
My understanding was the advertising was not shown to be effective. The subsidies have been ruled unconstitutional. Regarding the individual mandate, I never liked the idea of being told I'd better buy this government-approved product or else, so I can't share your dismay.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:00 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

Disadvantages:

My best friend is a cardiologist and from India. He went to medical school and India's version of residency in India and gained several years (5?) experience with the intent to move to The US. He did only to find out is Indian credentials were only good enough to earn a spot in the US residency match system set aside for international students............he had to complete a six year residency.

Fast forward, and this guy born elsewhere, with an Indian accent and lover of red curry goat and all the rest is the best American I know.

He says, fairly often, that low achievers in The US would die in India within weeks.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 AM

Quote:
So it is somehow President Trump's fault Congress failed to fund these all-important subsidies? Those subsidies were ruled unconstitutional .... he was supposed to violate a judges's ruling because Congress didn't feel like doing their job?

I have dealt with the ACA without helplines and government education .... can you demonstrate that these were actually of any use?
This was all in his insistence you can believe it or not. Doesn’t care about health care only about undoing everything the last president did. Wasn’t just the help lines it was the people that sat in the store fronts in Rite Aid in Kmart and other places and help people sign up. Now I can’t demonstrate that it had a specific statistical result, how earth would I know that? But I know that he eliminated it so that less people would enroll so I guess that’s evidence enough

The link I provided in my first post about this has a lot of information about exactly what was cut by Trump I suggest you read it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-11-2018 at 05:35 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
My understanding was the advertising was not shown to be effective. The subsidies have been ruled unconstitutional. Regarding the individual mandate, I never liked the idea of being told I'd better buy this government-approved product or else, so I can't share your dismay.
Yeah well you don’t have to pay my health insurance bill either. If you did, perhaps it would be more than just a “idea” to you and you would have stronger feelings about it. Cesar to decide what you’re doing don’t like when neither affects you.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-11-2018 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics