Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2018, 04:48 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What is the approximate starting salary range for such a new grad?
About $35 an hour for OT, $40 an hour for speech in a health care setting. Much less in a school district which employs a large number of speech therapists. I never said it wasn't a good job nor worth the debt, but the salaries have not risen nearly as much as the cost of school has since I graduated 20 years ago. It ends up in hundreds of thousands less in lifetime savings, putting off home purchases, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
About $35 an hour for OT, $40 an hour for speech in a health care setting. Much less in a school district which employs a large number of speech therapists. I never said it wasn't a good job nor worth the debt, but the salaries have not risen nearly as much as the cost of school has since I graduated 20 years ago. It ends up in hundreds of thousands less in lifetime savings, putting off home purchases, etc.
Wage growth has not been outstanding over the last 15-20 years. I don't think that is a very controversial remark. Student loan debt is also at historic highs. I don't know many people in their 20s that are altogether pleased about their prospects vis a vis their parents or grandparents. There are exceptions of course, but generally speaking....

Old 09-25-2018, 06:04 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
At about 2088 standard work hours per year, that's about $75K to $85K per year.

It doesn't sound like a particularly smart career choice to incur a ton of student loan debt to start out at $75K to $85K per year -- especially when one could instead incur the same student loan debt and start out at $125K+ in many other professions.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:05 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
The other side of that coin is that the cost of living has gone up faster than incomes. I prefer to look at the drivers of the cost of living.
Drivers will always be the problem, but still doesnt disqualify the income for not keeping up.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:

It doesn't sound like a particularly smart career choice to incur a ton of student loan debt to start out at $75K to $85K per year -- especially when one could instead incur the same student loan debt and start out at $125K+ in many other professions.
Still might end up with same results. We still have DRs that still paying on school loans 10+ years later. School cost is beyond its needs, and honestly really needs a good audit and public budget to see why it cost so much from first day till last day of the school year.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Again, of course individuals choose. But people drawn to caring type (traditionally female) careers have a nature and natural talents that draw them to them. I couldn’t have simply chosen to become an engineer instead, I do t have the math or science aptitude it requires.

Out of curiosity, I looked up my alma mater. Tuition in mid 90’s when I graduated was $16,000 a year undergrad, now it’s $39,000. A 150% increase, while salaries have risen by about 25%.

I am not saying it’s nit possible to make choices that enable success. The topic is whether people are struggling more and why. The out of control rises in health care costs and college cost are two reasons that I see every day that cause it to be harder to make it. Not impossible, but harder. I can’t even imagine how people who make $40,000 a year make it. That used to enable a middle class life, no more.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Again, of course individuals choose. But people drawn to caring type (traditionally female) careers have a nature and natural talents that draw them to them. I couldn’t have simply chosen to become an engineer instead, I do t have the math or science aptitude it requires.

Out of curiosity, I looked up my alma mater. Tuition in mid 90’s when I graduated was $16,000 a year undergrad, now it’s $39,000. A 150% increase, while salaries have risen by about 25%.

I am not saying it’s nit possible to make choices that enable success. The topic is whether people are struggling more and why. The out of control rises in health care costs and college cost are two reasons that I see every day that cause it to be harder to make it. Not impossible, but harder. I can’t even imagine how people who make $40,000 a year make it. That used to enable a middle class life, no more.

One day at a time and lot of coupon and Salvation army shopping.. Till our company decided that a 2 percent increase would make us happy, but doesnt. Puts us in another tax bracket and COL goes up another percent and nothing gain. Just dont get it why COL always above pay when it comes to increases. Shouldnt be the other way around or have a balance.. col goes up 2 percent, and your check should follow as well instantly. Not 20 years down the road.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:47 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
One day at a time and lot of coupon and Salvation army shopping.. Till our company decided that a 2 percent increase would make us happy, but doesnt. Puts us in another tax bracket and COL goes up another percent and nothing gain. Just dont get it why COL always above pay when it comes to increases. Shouldnt be the other way around or have a balance.. col goes up 2 percent, and your check should follow as well instantly. Not 20 years down the road.
It’s a supply and demand thing, clearly there is plenty of labor willing and able to work for what’s offered. I’m an employer and my contractors have continued to see pay increases because the market demands it for the talent I need to hire. When we started our videographer pay for an 8 hour day, about 8-9 years ago, we paid $500. We now pay $750. So a 50% increase in under a decade, pretty solid gain for them. Our editing position was vastly behind though and paid $25 an hour the whole history of the 10-year company until this last week when it went up 10%. It’ll be up another 10% off the original early next year, though. It was partially because of the market and the attractiveness for many people to have a work from home part time (24-30 hours) a week gig while they’re making $75/hour on their occasional freelance work.

I have to balance the need to keep my costs under control because I pass it all along obviously to my clients, but my clients are budget conscious - that’s the corporate world - so if I raise rates too much I’ll lose clients and maybe the company itself. Then nobody benefits, not our contractors or my employees.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
IMO your standard of living is most important, not wage or COL per se. If you are middle class and don't find other means then you cannot expect to be rich. But comfortable. I would not expect all employers to necessarily keep you up to date with inflation through persistent wage increases. Of course some do, but that is not the direct responsibility of business. If I were king I'd provide for central moneys to bolster the middle class. Such as these COL raises, HC and educational subsides. Make OOP HC costs 1/3 less for the middle class, and that would be a big and broad break.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
IMO your standard of living is most important, not wage or COL per se. If you are middle class and don't find other means then you cannot expect to be rich. But comfortable. I would not expect all employers to necessarily keep you up to date with inflation through persistent wage increases. Of course some do, but that is not the direct responsibility of business. If I were king I'd provide for central moneys to bolster the middle class. Such as these COL raises, HC and educational subsides. Make OOP HC costs 1/3 less for the middle class, and that would be a big and broad break.
I don't think the decline in wages is due to small employers not paying enough, more to the loss of good paying manufacturing jobs, loss of unions, etc. I do however hold corporations to a higher standard than small employers. It used to be profits would be shared with workers via raises, etc, but now it's all hoarded at the top. But IMO COL is the biggest factor. When people like my niece who works for a school district (teacher) makes in the 40's but pays almost $1000 a month for health insurance for her family, that makes a huge difference in standard of living and ability to not only save but just get by. By the time I get to 65, I'll have paid $84,000 in health insurance just for the 10 years between 55 and 65 IF my premium never rises...but it rises by a couple of hundred a month every year, so that figure will be well over $100,000. That makes a huge difference in my ability to survive when I am old. I didn't even include $30,000 in deductibles over those 10 years. I'll have paid much more in health insurance than I have toward my home.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-26-2018 at 09:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics