Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 07:58 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Because people are optimistic. Joe Schmoe might not have two dimes to rub together, but when he sees the stock market is up, despite having zero investments, he thinks, great, things are getting better! He doesn't think, "except that I am still making $10/hour and I have no investments, so the stock market rising does not affect me at all." It's the same mentality that makes poor people think that a politician (any politician) is going to make their lives better. Spoiler: It isn't going to happen.
Why would someone be waiting for the politicians take make their lives easier?

If you want something to happen for yourself get your butt up and make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:03 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We believe in freedom. That includes the freedom to do stupid things, freedom to remain ignorant in spite of 12 years of mandatory education, freedom to function at a low level and not strive to succeed in life, freedom to spent money as fast or faster than they can earn it. When people exercise their freedoms to make poor choices with poor consequences, should we feel sorry for them? Should we give up some of our resources to help them? Or should we take away some of their freedoms?
Oh that's special..if someone can't get a job, or if they are disabled, or if they make stupid mistakes or even worse if they just aren't real smart we should take away some of their freedoms. Makes me wonder how someone can make it to adulthood without learning about empathy

Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
nonsense . the cost of living for what seniors is up 40% in two years ?
It hasn't, but rent has gone up in some areas by 40-60% in the past few years. A friend of mine rents an apartment in Fair Oaks, her rent was $800 when she move in 3 years ago, in September her rent will be $1200.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:11 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh that's special..if someone can't get a job, or if they are disabled, or if they make stupid mistakes or even worse if they just aren't real smart we should take away some of their freedoms. Makes me wonder how someone can make it to adulthood without learning about empathy
That’s not what he or she said. The point was people have the freedom to do what they want and sometimes they make poor decisions and have to live with those decisions. (I think) the poster was saying what do you want us to do? Take away their ability to stop making stupid choices over and over since some of you think it’s others people’s responsibility to bail them out from those decisions?

Old 08-31-2018, 08:13 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Quote:
It hasn't, but rent has gone up in some areas by 40-60% in the past few years. A friend of mine rents an apartment in Fair Oaks, her rent was $800 when she move in 3 years ago, in September her rent will be $1200.
but in other areas it has not gone up at all . as an example here in new york city 50% of all rentals are stabilized . up until last year we had two years of zero increases for millions of people .

so this is why trying to equate personal cost of living to colas and price change index's or even broad statements really do not apply across the board .

Old 08-31-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
That’s not what he or she said. The point was people have the freedom to do what they want sometimes they make poor decisions and have to live with those decisions. (I think) the poster was saying what do you want us to do? Take away their ability to stop making stupid choices over and over since some of you think it’s others people’s responsibility to bail them out from those decisions.
Sure it is read it again. The poster insinuates that poverty is due to laziness or "poor choices", that is largely untrue. Take a look at the schools that most urban poor children attend and tell me what their chance of success is after 12 years in failing school? I've met people who do not have the mental capacity to do anything except work fast food or clean houses, but they still get up and go to work, the problem is that they don't make enough money invest, their employers don't offer retirement plans so when they can no longer work they will rely upon public assistance and this poster wants to deny them help AND take their freedom away?

People don't always make good choices, sometimes it's their fault but in many cases it's not and it's bad enough to say we shouldn't offer them help but this poster wants to take it a step further and take freedoms from them for their failure? I'm sorry but that is just wrongheaded

Old 08-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but in other areas it has not gone up at all . as an example here in new york city 50% of all rentals are stabilized . up until last year we had two years of zero increases for millions of people . so this is why trying to equate personal cost of living to colas and price change index's or even broad statements really do not apply across the board .
So the only relevant data is that which applies to every city, state and county in the US? Ok...thanks for setting me straight on that

Old 08-31-2018, 08:30 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teakboat View Post
Because average Joe is not really struggling.

I am not sensing this big COL increase. A loaf of bread, gallon of gas, gallon of milk, more or less has been constant over the last decade IMO.

I think that they are counting home prices in the COL, which have gone up, and are a symptom in the short term of a healthy economy. Auto prices have gone up because people have the money and the willingness to buy $50k F150's, again a symptom of a healthy economy.
Health insurance has gone up, and this year expected to have huge increases. Mine was $700 a month. Now I’m hoping it stays under $900 for the coming year. It has.a huge impact on people.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
So the only relevant data is that which applies to every city, state and county in the US? Ok...thanks for setting me straight on that
the point is colas linked to the cpi are not meant to match anyone's personal cost of living . the cpi's are only to measure the temperature of the 1500 mini economies we have and in no meaningful way will match anyone in particulars cost of living .

Old 08-31-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Health insurance has gone up, and this year expected to have huge increases. Mine was $700 a month. Now I’m hoping it stays under $900 for the coming year. It has.a huge impact on people.
as i retiree who just hit 65 my health insurance plunged now that i made it to medicare as it does for many retirees when they get on it . so that is one of the major reasons in 3 years we needed no inflation adjusting .

gas has been low the last 3 years and we had a few other bills like cable drop as we worked new deals .

so individual cost of living is going to be all over the map. working people , especially those raising families tend to be effected by inflation more than retirees are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics