Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:29 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Sorry it's hard to read. TAbles dont translate well. Left is 2018 and right is 2017. Your standard deduction will double. So unless you have over $24k in deductions, you won't even itemize anyway.
I lost the personal exemption and my deductions will go down because of the salt limitations yet I will still itemize so I haven’t put it to paper but I think I will pay a little more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 05:07 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I lost the personal exemption and my deductions will go down because of the salt limitations yet I will still itemize so I haven’t put it to paper but I think I will pay a little more
Well, if you haven't put it to paper, why do you think you will pay more? Have you even looked at the tax rates?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:18 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We are getting close to the 10k mark in Property Tax alone, does this mean I am close to my limit for other taxable deductions ?

The allowable deduction for SALT has a max of $10K. There are still other allowable deductions. Charitable contributions are allowed up to 50% of your income (some limited to 30%). Medical deductions are allowed (for amounts that exceed 7.5% of your income. There are more. The standard deduction (married) was raised to $24K, so would need $14K+ of other deductions to exceed the standard.

Old 10-03-2018, 03:53 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
Quote:
(Unless you are a high earner, which based on you being close to $10k in property taxes, I am guessing you are not).
Depending on what you consider "High", how does Property Tax relate to a persons income ?. Not looking to bash, just wondering ?. Thank you all for your input.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:30 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Property tax limits are chickenfeed compared to the SALT tax change.
They're not separate. It includes income taxes, sales taxes, real estate taxes, and property taxes. Those are the line items under the State and Local Taxes section of schedule A that are subject to a cap of $10,000.

schedule A

Quote:
Depending on what you consider "High", how does Property Tax relate to a persons income ?. Not looking to bash, just wondering ?. Thank you all for your input.
It probably has less impact on high income since they're involved in more business and investment activities. You can write off the real estate tax under Schedule A, Schedule C, or Schedule E depending on why you hold the property. Schedules C and E don't have the deduction limit.

Last edited by lchoro; 10-03-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 11:16 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Well, if you haven't put it to paper, why do you think you will pay more? Have you even looked at the tax rates?
I just did the math and I will pay slightly more under the new plan because of the two items I mentioned, losing the personal exemption and SALT lowering my deductions

Old 10-03-2018, 11:42 AM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It probably has less impact on high income since they're involved in more business and investment activities. You can write off the real estate tax under Schedule A, Schedule C, or Schedule E depending on why you hold the property. Schedules C and E don't have the deduction limit.
That's not what the Tax Policy Center concluded

High-Income Households Would Benefit Most From Repeal of the SALT Deduction Cap

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/taxv...-deduction-cap

Old 10-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post

Not if you are a W-2 high earner.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Usually people who make a lot of $$ are in homes with higher property taxes.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I just did the math and I will pay slightly more under the new plan because of the two items I mentioned, losing the personal exemption and SALT lowering my deductions
Well, I don't mean to doubt your intelligence, but do you understand how marginal tax brackets work? ALL of the brackets are lower and you don't pay the rate that your highest dollar of income is on ALL of the $$. You know that, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics