Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Unless things have changed you can only schedule Priority Mail collections online. If you want to use the slower ground rates, then off to the post office you must go....

We have a USPS account, and yes know all about the emails regarding packages/mail arriving. Had it for a few weeks then turned it off; too darn annoying. *LOL*

Still get tracking notices for packages sent or being delivered, and that is good enough.

Just found this about USPS delivery to rural and other areas; so my previous post may need to be amended: https://www.serviceobjects.com/blog/...ted-may-think/

This jives with places one knows like Alpine, New Jersey, where mail is delivered to central post office and residents must fetch it there.
For the link that's really not all that unusual. I live in a town less than 40 miles from Washington, DC and we don't have home delivery of mail. The only people who complain are the rural pioneers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 04:44 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
FedEx and UPS are NOT doing that in my service area.
FedEx and UPS don't do that anywhere. Some shippers elect to use multiple shipping services for one delivery. In those cases. they pay FedEx and UPS to deliver it to the post office and then the USPS to deliver it to the receiver. I think many shippers have been giving up on doing that, because it's slow and causes unnecessary delay. The one exception is Amazon. They have really gotten it down to perfection with their system of delivering it to the destination post office overnight, and then having the USPS deliver it that day. I have been getting Fulfillment by Amazon shipments in 24 hrs to 48 hrs, mostly 24. It's by far the fastest shipping I have ever gotten.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:49 PM

31,889 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
FedEx and UPS don't do that anywhere. Some shippers elect to use multiple shipping services for one delivery. In those cases. they pay FedEx and UPS to deliver it to the post office and then the USPS to deliver it to the receiver. I think many shippers have been giving up on doing that, because it's slow and causes unnecessary delay. The one exception is Amazon. They have really gotten it down to perfection with their system of delivering it to the destination post office overnight, and then having the USPS deliver it that day. I have been getting Fulfillment by Amazon shipments in 24 hrs to 48 hrs, mostly 24. It's by far the fastest shipping I have ever gotten.

Give it time and Amazon is either going to buy UPS, or simply develop their own (larger and encompassing) shipping company/arrangements.

It is clear Mr. Bezos seems intent on making everything about online (he's moving Whole Foods in that direction as well), and neither USPS, UPS or anyone else together or singly continue to handle huge volumes of deliveries already. What they will do with more piled on is anyone's guess.

Already you have UPS delivering in some areas on Saturday and maybe soon Sunday. USPS is now delivering (again in some areas) packages already on Sundays as well.

Personally think it is time we get some sort of VAT or national sales tax on all these online shopping places. They are causing heavy use and or tearing up infrastructure that in much of this country already is falling apart.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:12 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,565,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
FedEx and UPS are NOT doing that in my service area.

Sorry, I had to laugh!

Yes they are doing it anywhere their customer elects to use the service

Old 10-14-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Give it time and Amazon is either going to buy UPS, or simply develop their own (larger and encompassing) shipping company/arrangements.
Buying UPS is not on Amazon's agenda.

Amazon buys 20,000 new Mercedes-Benz Sprinter vans for delivery program - Business Insider

Old 10-14-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
FedEx/ups and dhl all offer services to their customers that utilize the postal service for final deliver

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping...smartpost.html

Old 10-14-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
FedEx/ups and dhl all offer services to their customers that utilize the postal service for final deliver

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping...smartpost.html
OK, correct. The USPS has established partnerships with those companies as well as with Amazon Logistics. I still believe that Amazon is the only one that has made it work. The FedEx and UPS programs take a week to get to me. Amazon gets them to me in 24 to 48 hours, even way out here in the boondocks.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:30 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Excuse me but I greet the FedEx and UPS driver whenever they deliver. USPS too.

I have a Ring door bell. I yell out my thanks on their way back to their truck. "Thank you, Santa Claus!"

Don't tell Me how I get my deliveries. I work from home. I always see my deliveries.

Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
OK, correct. The USPS has established partnerships with those companies as well as with Amazon Logistics. I still believe that Amazon is the only one that has made it work. The FedEx and UPS programs take a week to get to me. Amazon gets them to me in 24 to 48 hours, even way out here in the boondocks.

Your particular situation is of no concern to me as I am speaking about the industry and what work USPS does. The partnership between fdx, ups and usps is heavily used by a lot of companies irrespective of your personal experience

Old 10-14-2018, 05:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
Amazon is not buying any shipping service. They are near owning their own.

Quote:
Personally think it is time we get some sort of VAT or national sales tax on all these online shopping places. They are causing heavy use and or tearing up infrastructure that in much of this country already is falling apart.
Amazon has already committed to paying all sales taxes in every jurisdiction.

The only exceptions are independent sellers selling thorough Amazon. AFAIK Amazon has already delivered on 100% of their federal, state, and local sales taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics