U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 04:20 AM

7,657 posts, read 3,367,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Because they likely chose to go to expensive out of state schools and get useless degrees .

Most states have local schools that are very reasonable ....let’s get real
Nope, this narrative is several decades old. STEM degrees were struggling with this up until maybe the last 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 04:53 AM

75,655 posts, read 75,072,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Nope, this narrative is several decades old. STEM degrees were struggling with this up until maybe the last 6 months.
there certainly are low cost local options . all our kids used local schools for not much money .even today local schools are reasonable . my daughter is finishing up her long over due masters .. my son graduated hofstra law school which is a local school . it wasn't killer as far as costs . in fact the loans were paid off by him 3 years later

Old 12-28-2019, 07:22 AM

6,872 posts, read 5,137,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
The younger generation has record debt levels starting their careers that Boomers never had. Let's be real.
The average student loan debt is under $40K. I don't see that as a big deal. In addition a lot of that debt was very optional. State universities in NYS are free for those with low-moderate income and are low cost for all. They are excellent colleges and universities but even so some kids and parents decide more expensive private colleges are worth the cost.

Anyway no matter how big the debt, it sure beats being drafted for a couple of years, getting shot at, watching plenty of others being killed and maimed and doing that for less than $100/month. And then returning to high unemployment. I don't want to hear whining about life being tough.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The average student loan debt is under $40K. I don't see that as a big deal. In addition a lot of that debt was very optional. State universities in NYS are free for those with low-moderate income and are low cost for all. They are excellent colleges and universities but even so some kids and parents decide more expensive private colleges are worth the cost.

Anyway no matter how big the debt, it sure beats being drafted for a couple of years, getting shot at, watching plenty of others being killed and maimed and doing that for less than $100/month. And then returning to high unemployment. I don't want to hear whining about life being tough.
When was unemployment high back in the day? I think the more upsetting thing would have been that we did not use nukes in Vietnam. I think any war we enter where we are not willing to use nukes is a bad war, if things are going poorly in a war and MY personal safety is at risk I want to have access to the button otherwise im not getting on the plane and will just say I didnt check the mail.

Old 12-28-2019, 04:23 PM

75,655 posts, read 75,072,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Exactly I got dumped out of school in to the draft , Vietnam, I was number 80 ... we had the highest unemployment since the Great Depression, gas lines , an oil shortage , soaring inflation , and riots in the street .nyc where I lived was going bankrupt .

So you want to compare that to living with mommy and daddy and owing some money

Old 12-28-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Exactly I got dumped out of school in to the draft , Vietnam, I was number 80 ... we had the highest unemployment since the Great Depression, gas lines , an oil shortage , soaring inflation , and riots in the street .nyc where I lived was going bankrupt .

So you want to compare that to living with mommy and daddy and owing some money
I just watched a video on stagflation that happened around 75 due to oil price manipulation blowing up in their faces.

But how long did this last? The problem now is that while things have not been THAT bad they have been sorta crappy for a LONG time. Its the difference between pulling off a bandaid quickly and painfully or tearing it off really really slowly, except that its an infinite band aid that just keeps going and going and going.

There is no signs of things moving away from the chipole assembly line and going back to serious manufacturing. As of today, crappy service jobs appear to be the new normal which is unsettling for alot of people. Also now those effected are stratified, the lower rich people have insulated themselves from these things where at in Vietnam only the super rich could get them and their kids out.

Having something SUPER crappy where everyone is in the pot together for a VERY short time is much preferable to just a long sad slow decline into metiocrety like a bad black mirror episode where we all just run on a tread mill and then die.

I would much rather see a nuke pop off and all hell break loose than just one big groundhogs day until death. Get a massive REAL war machine going with tons of R&D and weapons development massive hiring, we could develop an anti matter weapon if we put our minds to it and letter rip.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:05 PM

3,645 posts, read 1,003,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
We all must work hard to give smaller and smaller groups the means to launch intermediate range cruise missles etc. The 1% is effected by property damage that is not covered by insurance, once damage levels exceed certian levels insurance will fail to cover it. The govt might back it for a little while but will grow tired of it once things start seriously breaking down.

Things like small cruise missles reduce the risk of the user because it can be used from a distance.
In other words, terrorism. You advocate terrorism.

Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics