Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 01:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
At some point people should be responsible for their own decisions, even if they make them without becoming knowledgeable on the subject. It's pretty easy to google for Uber driving profits in any area.

I don't need someone to tell me not to eat Tide pods, or not to drive for Uber...
I suppose there are still the uninitiated, who were raised by the uninitiated, and befriended the uninitiated (so on and so forth) who will never learn.

Does this fall under "there's a sucker born every minute..." ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 01:23 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Since everyone wants to talk about CHOICES... I have a gut feeling that many of these people may lean ever so slightly right. Ahem.

I think many DECISIONS are misguided, due to having INCOMPLETE INFORMATION when choosing to participate in Uber or Lyft. If someone told you you'd make less than minimum wage before expenses (assuming you'd be paying your own self-employment taxes), I think someone would rather stock shelves at Walmart while building a skill set instead of fruitlessly chasing the advertised (TOP LINE) gross earnings in these driver programs.
So even if their decision is misguided, what would you have us do? Hand hold them? Tell them no?

If they don’t have the facts at the start because they’re incapable of researching...and then they start working and see month after month after month that it’s not working for them, then they can change.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
the uber/lift drivers i have encountered seemed fine with the situation. some were part time and some werent. i had one guy in nyc who had an insane number of rides, so much that you would think that he had done nothing for 2 years but drive people. my dad asked him how he had so many rides, the guy was unable to communicate in english. i dont know if he didnt speak english or just went nuts from driving so much. there are always great jobs and crappy jobs and in between. i dont know why seeing a lot of people choosing to drive other people is automatically a sign of anything bad. it doesnt really sound like such a terrible job to me.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
So even if their decision is misguided, what would you have us do? Hand hold them? Tell them no?

If they don’t have the facts at the start because they’re incapable of researching...and then they start working and see month after month after month that it’s not working for them, then they can change.
I didn't know making LESS than FEDERAL minimum wage ($7.25, not the $15 demanded as of late) was so desirable!

Old 11-07-2018, 03:41 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
I didn't know making LESS than FEDERAL minimum wage ($7.25, not the $15 demanded as of late) was so desirable!
Are these people not intelligent and rational enough to decide wether they’re wasting their time or not?

Old 11-07-2018, 05:06 PM

In a lot of cases, no. It's exploitation. (I didn't say slavery.)

Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Not only are the earnings low, but they are going down.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/24/earnin...re-plummeting/

Old 11-07-2018, 05:41 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
It could be, although most make more than min wage.

You keep looking at the job of Uber/Lift driver only in terms of wages, but it goes beyond that for advantages and disadvantages. They aren't on their feet, they set their own schedule, they are working in a relatively comfortable climate controlled environment, they don't need to have special training or skills, etc. I could certainly see situations where for some people it's a favorable situation.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It could be, although most make more than min wage.

You keep looking at the job of Uber/Lift driver only in terms of wages, but it goes beyond that for advantages and disadvantages. They aren't on their feet, they set their own schedule, they are working in a relatively comfortable climate controlled environment, they don't need to have special training or skills, etc. I could certainly see situations where for some people it's a favorable situation.
I do. I see the other aspects of employment secondary to things as basic as "will this job allow me to pay my bills?" Can't think of many people would would take a $4-per-hour job with a flexible schedule over a $10-an-hour job with a set schedule.

Set schedule isn't always that bad, at least it's predictable. I'd imagine the least preferable would be an ever-changing yet non-flexible schedule such as "when we need you" retail shifts and food service.

Make no mistake, I work a desk job with a set schedule and can provide for myself well enough, I just think it's not smart to allow companies who intend to disrupt an industry to do so via sketchy ways to skirt declaring their drivers as employees and providing them avenues to access benefits normally accessible to W2 employees (Not even saying healthcare, just earnings creditable to an unemployment benefit year and eligibility for workers' comp).

It's 2018, and we're still writing exemptions to allow even W2 employees to make less than $7.25 an hour:

"In specific and case by case circumstances, some employees on small farms and seasonal and recreational employees are not entitled to minimum wage."

"During the first 90 calendar days of work for employees under 20, the minimum wage is $4.25 per hour. After 90 days, the regular $7.25 is required. Full-time students in the retail, service stores, or agricultural can be paid no less than 85% of minimum wage, if the employer obtains a certificate from the Department of Labor. Additionally, the student may not work over eight hours a day and no more than 20 hours a week during the school year and 40 hours a week when school is not in session."

"A sub-minimum wage may apply for workers with disabilities. The Secretary of Labor has the right to issues a certificate on case by case bases. For more information, you can call (312) 353-3809."

https://www.oshaeducationcenter.com/...imum-wage.aspx

Old 11-07-2018, 07:03 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
A lot of uber drivers are renting or leasing the rides from other car leasing services. Some families are running their own uber business by buying 4-5 cars and then renting them out like a car leasing service.

I think majority of the drivers are just scraping by because the pay is really low but it's the quick cash that lures people. If you need to pay some bills, you can't just find a job and start working tomorrow.

The problem I see with these services is that it's a lot of risks. You are one accident away from losing your pants if the insurance company found out you are driving for uber. Not to mention, if your passenger was hurt they will sue you if Uber doesn't cover you. In many cases Uber simply don't care and they can remove your driving privileges if you intend to sue. Then the passenger will simply sue you and Uber.

Unless you are driving uber purely for car pooling and having people hitch a ride. It is not worth driving for them as a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics