Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 05:40 PM

24,599 posts, read 9,437,319 times

Advertisements

I don’t know anything about oil, but my understanding is that it’s a high risk high reward situation. And we all know oil isn’t cheap to find.

I was watching this Netflix documentary about an American company who invested into Nigerian oil and those guys made tens of millions. It was kind of sad because the Nigerians involved were not giving that money back to the country

Anyways, some folks are just lucky or rich enough to be major players in the oil game

Old 11-14-2018, 05:51 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
Aw heck, when the prices are supposed to be coming down

They can't find the ladder.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
If I owned a gas station this is how I'd run it. Say I bought gas at $2 a gallon. Then the price went down to $1.50. I'd try my damndest to get back at least my $2 that I had put into the gas I bought. I might lower it little, gradually. But I'd do my best to get back my $2 because I have to pay that to the supplier.

Now, if the price I paid went up to $2.50, I'd raise my price immediately. Because my customers would have no alternative. All the other gas stations would do the same.

This happen all the way up and down the oil delivery chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. This is the problem. So they instantly raise their prices, when their own cost goes up. But they never do the inverse.

So I wish them all much, much pain.
After losing money having to sell for less than they paid they need to get prices up as fast as possible. How happy would you be if they didn't, lost enough that they had to close, and there were only three gas stations left in town? And there you are at the end of that long long line running out of gas.

At the higher levels I agree. The guy running the corner Kwiki Mart, no.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:24 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
E85 is substantially cheaper? i thought ethanol gives significantly worse gas mileage.

Honestly, IDK, but I darn sure would give E85 a try.

Well, on edit I will add:

I recently did buy about 7 gallons of E85 in my non-flexfuel vehicle. The E85 I bought was about $2.80 a gallon.... Local unleaded was about $3.40 a gallon. I know the E85 is bad for a non-flexfuel vehicle, mainly due to corrosion issues. But I wanted to try it and my vehicle ran fine and I think I got close to the same MPG as with unleaded.

I really wish the price of gas would come down, at least a little, really hurts when you are going on a trip.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 PM

757 posts, read 837,402 times
There is only so much of the stuff. It will run out ultimately. Then there will be no debate on prices but on availability. I used to think Peak Oil was more myth than fact. Unfortunately, after investigating, numbers are facts and my doubts are not valid anymore. Shale is a fool's paradise. Baby Boomers will make it ok but other generations are screwed.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
There is only so much of the stuff. It will run out ultimately. Then there will be no debate on prices but on availability. I used to think Peak Oil was more myth than fact. Unfortunately, after investigating, numbers are facts and my doubts are not valid anymore. Shale is a fool's paradise. Baby Boomers will make it ok but other generations are screwed.
If the right people get their act together we should have massive solar and wind farms that supply electricity which, in turn, will charge high efficiency batteries in cars.

Might be a pipe dream, but it would be nice.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I'm not talking about how it breaks down. I am talking about why it rises quickly (after crude prices go up); but it drops very slowly (after crude prices go down). Riddle me that.
i told you why . the only thing that forces a drop is competition . ALL volatile prices go up instantly with replacement cost , for the reasons i explained above in my example . but only competition forces anyone to take a pay cut .

why don't you take a pay cut at work every time the cpi comes in lower ????? well if your competitors started to do that ,that is what would become your industry norm . i dont think you want to give back your money so fast if it came to that

Old 11-15-2018, 06:28 AM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
how many retirees would agree to get cola raises when the cpi is up but take a cut if the cpi drops ? not many .

so no one wants to give up earnings unless they have to or are forced to .

Old 11-15-2018, 07:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
No one WILL answer the philosophical question as to why a private entity is entitled to huge profits of a natural resource.

I come from where the state just keeps jacking the oi prices just to keep the refining companies afloat - who gets their pension, medical insurance and benefits till they die.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
No one WILL answer the philosophical question as to why a private entity is entitled to huge profits of a natural resource.

I come from where the state just keeps jacking the oi prices just to keep the refining companies afloat - who gets their pension, medical insurance and benefits till they die.
It's no different than Weyerhauser and others making profits from the forests (lumber) or Nestle and others making profits from the sale of bottled water (If you pay $1 for a 16 oz. bottle of water, that's in effect $7.57/gallon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics