Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

So this has been kind of humorous. I've been following the stock market for the past month, more closely on Christmas Eve through today, and that poor headline writer!

In bold letters, "Stock Market Rebounds" where you can see the ticker is down 200 points. "Stock Market Sell Off" where you can look at the ticker and it's up 150 points. The poor guy!

The headline bounced back and forth hourly, even several times in an hour.

He's finally settled on "Stock Market Turbulence". Whew. Take a coffee break!

https://www.cnn.com/business

Old 12-28-2018, 10:51 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
The page is probably so overwhelmed with all the clickbait stuff at the bottom that it can't remember which file to use for the news.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:19 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
CNN has become a tabloid news organization

Old 12-28-2018, 11:49 AM

CNN as a news organization remains better than most. Their online presence, however, has devolved to the trashiest levels and it's almost impossible to separate the real, ongoing news they (internally) cover so well from the rising tide of crap and clickbait and interference from the bottom of each page.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:09 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
I haven't looked at any main stream news papers or on line sites for years. In that overly contentious space of divisive journalism, it's always a choice of GOP or Democrat tripe that dominates the day. I like the Counterpunch, and James Kunstler's site for the fact that they call out both camps for their BS, mainly because that's the way news used to be reported, back when journalists did the sorting out of all that party driven nonsense and tried to report the truth...

Old 12-28-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I haven't looked at any main stream news papers or on line sites for years. In that overly contentious space of divisive journalism, it's always a choice of GOP or Democrat tripe that dominates the day. I like the Counterpunch, and James Kunstler's site for the fact that they call out both camps for their BS, mainly because that's the way news used to be reported, back when journalists did the sorting out of all that party driven nonsense and tried to report the truth...
I'm not sure that reading any selective news site, regardless of (perceived) quality, is sufficient. You're just choosing your own echo chamber even if the reporting on that small slice of events is impeccable.

We are in an era where partisan politics is the overwhelming driving factor... and I think it's essential to keep that in focus whether you like one side's reporting or not. Pretending it's a sideshow and will go away if you ignore it is... pretty much how we've gotten to this terrifying point.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:31 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm not sure that reading any selective news site, regardless of (perceived) quality, is sufficient. You're just choosing your own echo chamber even if the reporting on that small slice of events is impeccable.

We are in an era where partisan politics is the overwhelming driving factor... and I think it's essential to keep that in focus whether you like one side's reporting or not. Pretending it's a sideshow and will go away if you ignore it is... pretty much how we've gotten to this terrifying point.
Having one's own "echo chamber" isn't the same as perusing the various writer contributions found on sites which are open to all points of view, there's a ton of stuff on Counterpunch that would most likely delight readers of both parties to no end. I tend to read it all and then determine the truth of things usually found scrunched in between the partisan hoopla. I don't follow either party and further, I'm convinced that millions of us are also climbing above the pettiness of party politics.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:41 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
CNN as a news organization remains better than most. Their online presence, however, has devolved to the trashiest levels and it's almost impossible to separate the real, ongoing news they (internally) cover so well from the rising tide of crap and clickbait and interference from the bottom of each page.

CNN used to be better before the 2016 election. Now it's just the Fox News for Democrats. 99% biased opinionated stuff.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
CNN used to be better before the 2016 election. Now it's just the Fox News for Democrats. 99% biased opinionated stuff.
Fox News has no counterpart of any kind. They should just change their name to RMVP and be done with it.

CNN devolved to this strange garbagefest presentation long before 2016.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:46 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
CNN lost all credibility decades ago when it became the Clinton News Network.

Its lack of credibility is only surpassed by MSNBC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics