Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 11:58 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
1. No income tax returns will be processed.
2. No new social security claims will be process (so one new can retire and collect SS)
3. New loans and mortgages delays due to "difficulties obtaining income validation for personal tax return income", which it turn will hit the sale of housing.
4. Similar issues are happening with Title companies, unable to verify who owns what.
5. Stock market commodities stability, since no government statistical or economic reports, including those on the prices and supply levels of agricultural goods.
6. USDA stopped issuing mortgages.
7. No or limited national weather service warnings.
8. Extended delays in school funding from the department of education. (could this lead to college / technical shutdowns due to funding issues?)
9. No new disability claims processing for Veteran affairs
1. Possible, although I will simply file as I always have since I usually owe something.
2. S/S offices and online processing remain open and functioning. So people can continue to apply for S/S.
3. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac continue to operate during the shutdown, so mortgage loan processing should not be delayed very much (except, possibly, for federal employees). FHA mortgages may be delayed.
4. Title companies should be unaffected by the shutdown because property records are maintained by the state or county, not the feds.
5. It is true that much of economic reporting may be curtailed. In prior shutdowns, the markets generally rose a bit during the shutdown.
6. True.
7. Most, if not all, Weather Service functions will continue because NOAA is exempt from the shutdown.
8. Some Dept of Education funding programs have been funded for fiscal 2019, others have not. So, some funding will continue.
9. Veterans' Affairs is fullt funded through fiscal 2019, so they will continue to function as normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 AM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
everybody always gets paid, nobody has lost a paycheck.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:39 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
everybody always gets paid, nobody has lost a paycheck.
I don’t think that’s true. A lot of govt work is contracted out and those folks aren’t working and will be out of a paycheck even if the govt reopened today

Old 01-06-2019, 09:14 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,219,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Flood insurance issuance had been stopped too but I don’t know if it’s still going on

The cracks are starting to show on the Republican side reportedly with two telling McConnell to end this without wall funding

I've been on the phone several times with FEMA since the shutdown started. At least some of the office folks are working and processing flood map change requests. Don't know about anything else there.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:53 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I've been on the phone several times with FEMA since the shutdown started. At least some of the office folks are working and processing flood map change requests. Don't know about anything else there.
It looks like they started issuing polices again last week

Old 01-06-2019, 01:42 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The national parks are not collecting camping fees. This is losing a lot of revenue as folks flock to Arizona (where I live) to snowbird.
Actually this isn't a huge drain on the NPS as a whole (because entrance fees don't actually fund the majority of park operations). What will have more of an effect (that in turn will be noticed by the visiting public) is halting decisionmaking and/or processing of Congressional or internal agency operations funding as well as hiring all the necessary seasonal workers for the next spring/summer visitor season. January is when many of those positions are created, submitted to HR, recruited for, and hired. I have quite a few friends in federal government who are furloughed. There's a lot of work sitting untouched on their desks, and much of it involves planning for the next 8 months' boots-on-the-ground work. Much of the funding used for this sort of work must be spent before the fiscal year ends in September. It can't be "saved" or carried over. It is lost. Hardly an efficient use of taxpayer dollars.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:01 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
The national parks are not collecting camping fees. This is losing a lot of revenue as folks flock to Arizona (where I live) to snowbird.
Yes I have heard tidbits about that but things like overflowing toilets at Joshua Tree NP and campers stepping up to haul trash out.

But even tho I’m one of those snowbirds in your state right now, what really concerns me is that locals have told me that border patrol has their hands so full right and many not working that they are dropping undocumented people off at the bus station within the US. So this whole dispute is having the opposite effect to the one intended. I am not assigning any particular political blame here...in many ways it is the perfect storm that will have consequences for years and much of it is brought on by past policies.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:11 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,782,351 times
Quote:
I don’t think that’s true. A lot of govt work is contracted out and those folks aren’t working and will be out of a paycheck even if the govt reopened today
I was working as a federal contractor at the Federal Aviation Administration during shutdowns in the past, we were told our contract was fully funded, so it didn't affect us, but the Federal employees couldn't come to work. I'm no longer a Federal contractor so I don't know if they are working now or not.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:03 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Yes I have heard tidbits about that but things like overflowing toilets at Joshua Tree NP .
has been shown to be fake news.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times
Quote:
government workers get paid, contract workers don't work for the government
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics