Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 03:10 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
My ability to retire would suffer significantly. I'd need to work until I die.
Most people in this economy are goingto work till they die or die on the streets when they can’t work anymore.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Based on your previous posts, I think you would be overpaid.
I thought each individual got to decide that for themselves or was that another poster?

Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Treachery is a breach of trust, the employer in the vast majority of cases has the leverage. So their actions are much more treacherous than an employee leaving.
What exactly was the breach of trust? Can you post the employment agreement you signed where your employer promised you lifetime employment that could only be severed by mutual agreement? What exactly gave you this trust that they would never fire someone who's greatest talent is making excuses for failures?

Quote:
Most people in this economy are goingto work till they die or die on the streets when they can’t work anymore.
No, they aren't. The median age of retirement is much younger than the median lifespan in this country. It's also a great job market, the trained professional who consistently can't find work while bragging about how they'd never work hard for someone else is the exception not the norm.

Old 02-19-2019, 03:52 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
I thought each individual got to decide that for themselves or was that another poster?
It is usually a 2 way decision. However, in your post, you had me paying you $11/hr, which is more than I would offer you, based on your posts and what I would perceive as the value (or lack thereof) of your potential productivity. With other people, I would pay much more.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
It is usually a 2 way decision. However, in your post, you had me paying you $11/hr, which is more than I would offer you, based on your posts and what I would perceive as the value (or lack thereof) of your potential productivity. With other people, I would pay much more.
And then we part ways and that’s the end of it.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:10 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ocean View Post
I think the problem is that the median age in Congress is 59. Additionally, there are only 8 engineers, so you have to imagine, there isn't much critical thinking going on. These are people that grew up without the internet. They are poor examples of leadership. They live in excess, drink too much, abuse their bodies, and a lot of them are starting to look like they got caught in a wind tunnel, exercising their vanity.

So you have all these idiotic curiosity believing imbeciles in office who are not only completely clueless about their own reality, but also chose to engage in the destruction of the global financial system as we know it, in 2008, when they decided to "save" the banks. They effectively stole everything from future generations to pay for their lifestyles today, which are completely unsustainable in consideration of the current infrastructure for economic growth and the simple principle of scarcity.

But these people are delusional. They think they would have been able to make it into the same position today with their high school diploma as someone with a masters in electrical engineering, cuz back in the day, you didn't even need an engineering degree to be an engineer. Lol.

It's called illusory superiority. They have no idea the level of competition today. Education is widespread. It's not like it was back in the day, where you could trick the entire world with a Hollywood movie.
There's a lot of emphasis on engineering in this post. Engineering is not the only program of study that equates to critical thinking. In fact, much more important than the field of study, is the quality of institution. If you went to some random state school, you're not going to hold up to someone from MIT, Princeton, Harvard, or any other decent school... even if they studied fine art. So let's not focus on "electrical engineering" as the qualifier for making these kinds of decision... because that's just basic.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 AM

1,065 posts, read 471,986 times
Quote:
I don't know about you, but I'm saving money in my 401k and in additional investment accounts and investing it as wisely as I can. I am on target to retire before well before I expect to die.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
There's a lot of emphasis on engineering in this post. Engineering is not the only program of study that equates to critical thinking. In fact, much more important than the field of study, is the quality of institution. If you went to some random state school, you're not going to hold up to someone from MIT, Princeton, Harvard, or any other decent school... even if they studied fine art. So let's not focus on "electrical engineering" as the qualifier for making these kinds of decision... because that's just basic.
This is a false statement, there are amazing professors at state schools and very poor professors at “top” schools. Having graduated from a top school and done continuing Ed at a state school I learned more at the state school. Mit is perhaps the exception but that’s only because of programs like open course ware and edx.

And yes engineers are typically way better critical thinkers capable of far more complex thought. I engage on here because it’s so entertaining.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:40 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
This is a false statement, there are amazing professors at state schools and very poor professors at “top” schools. Having graduated from a top school and done continuing Ed at a state school I learned more at the state school. Mit is perhaps the exception but that’s only because of programs like open course ware and edx.

And yes engineers are typically way better critical thinkers capable of far more complex thought. I engage on here because it’s so entertaining.
It all comes down to which professors you study under. Engineers are no better at critical thought than scientists, psychologists, or librarians. It just happens that the top universities attract the best professors. Studying there and obtaining a terminal degree... Whether a PhD or equivalent, makes you better at critical thinking... But not just simply studying engineering.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,945 times
Quote:
And then we part ways and that’s the end of it.
Of course now you have changed the scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics