Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 10:36 AM

4,549 posts, read 6,846,193 times

Advertisements

This thread makes no sense. We live in a civilized modern society. Nobody is interested in adopting outdated and laborious ways of life full of uncertainty. The world would not become a safer more humane place by taking away our current structure of government and economic structure. Few people are ever going to want to live a former East German lifestyle.

Societies are dynamic. Ours is not perfect and changes seemingly take too long in many cases but it also prevents us from falling victim to the latest societal whim or short-lived trend which has not been fully thought out. A 90% capital gains tax is ridiculous and would adversely affect not just those making investments but the majority of our citizens who would lose out on many key improvements in science, engineering, medicine and technology.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:44 AM

7,641 posts, read 5,156,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The mechanic is not paid 80 to 100. A lot of that goes into overhead. As an self proclaimed intelligent person you should know better.
Saying good mechanics are crass is a generalization that reeks of some kind of superiority complex you have.
I know an auto shop owner who wants to sell his shop and get an hourly job because it pays more than being the owner.
The overhead is what the owner makes it. As to the rest What ever man

Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM

15,506 posts, read 6,483,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This thread makes no sense. We live in a civilized modern society. Nobody is interested in adopting outdated and laborious ways of life full of uncertainty. The world would not become a safer more humane place by taking away our current structure of government and economic structure. Few people are ever going to want to live a former East German lifestyle.

Societies are dynamic. Ours is not perfect and changes seemingly take too long in many cases but it also prevents us from falling victim to the latest societal whim or short-lived trend which has not been fully thought out. A 90% capital gains tax is ridiculous and would adversely affect not just those making investments but the majority of our citizens who would lose out on many key improvements in science, engineering, medicine and technology.
Nice propaganda terms. The reality of the situation is that politics and economics have been framed in a way to justify income from zero input. That is why you believe the things you do. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...n_of_Economics

But in reality wanting greater freedoms from market planning is not radical, nor is limiting the application of modern technology. But you are not allowed to understand that.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The mechanic is not paid 80 to 100. A lot of that goes into overhead. As an self proclaimed intelligent person you should know better.
Saying good mechanics are crass is a generalization that reeks of some kind of superiority complex you have.
I know an auto shop owner who wants to sell his shop and get an hourly job because it pays more than being the owner.
Actually, it's interesting you bring up overhead costs. In fact labor all together is considered an overhead cost that must be paid off by the goods being produced.

That means the price a mechanic is paid precedes revenue.

In fact salaries determine revenue rather than the other way around. Read about price management in business.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I can’t help but wonder if your attitude is keeping you unemployed. I wouldn’t hire anyone who thinks employers are vultures. Nor would I hire someone who overestimates their value. The market determines what it will pay for a skill set.
That's why you shouldn't have the authority to own labor. This judgement of attitude should not determine the labor market, as people exist beyond wage slavery.

A concept both cicero and Lincoln understood.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. Not worth the time to make up crap. Farming/agriculture has a long history here. Every farmer’s main goal is to pay the bills and make a good life for themselves and their family and ensure the continuing success of their farm. My dinner steak last weekend was purchased from my own family’s business. Their farm. Their cows. Their crops. And they absolutely are growing that business. Their kids have already taken on some of the work, and they even have paid employees ( oh the horror!). Now carry on with your own lunacy.

And here are a few more for you.
Remarkable, you go out of your way to prove my point.

CM, you need to look at what I'm saying before jumping to respond. For one farming is not done for the sake of the consumer, but for the sake of the producer, which was exactly my point. Land owners being the farmers instead do not equate to factory owners (for example), but the actual laborers. The same concept for any production is true. Production is not handled to fill out market demands, but the needs of the producers. This is universal true, and yet you go out of your way to agree while claiming a disagreement.

That's a hard eyes::roll eyes:

Old 02-20-2019, 11:14 AM

1,067 posts, read 632,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Only you seem to base your decisions on political affiliation. Have you ever met a good mechanic, they are far more crass than I am. Also there shop rates are around 80-100 hr, I am guessing you go to Juan the illegal or marginally legal. The artificial suppression of wages are causing a lot of people to exit certain markets, once the political pressure starts removing discount illegals the price will sky rocket as the market will go from saturated to almost no one in certain sectors.

In a healthy market engineers mechanics etc should be punching their own tickets as the fields are naturally difficult. The fact that high barrier to entry professions wages are able to be suppressed means the market is sick. That does not mean I have to put up with it, if employers won’t pay people will exit the market.
You totally missed the point. I thought you said you were a critical thinker.

An employer doesn’t pay someone merely because they are an engineer. An employer pays someone based on their ability to deliver on the needs of the employer.

As to pay, I would rather pay a guy $100/hr to fix my car right, the $20/hr to someone that screws it up.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,366,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
My point was Oldgorilla shouldn't find work unique to this system.

Also, the relief for retirement is a big testimony to our economic and social system.
I'm not following here. So he worked and contributed to society and is now able to retire due to diligently saving and planning. That seems great to me.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:25 AM

7,641 posts, read 5,156,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
You totally missed the point. I thought you said you were a critical thinker.

An employer doesn’t pay someone merely because they are an engineer. An employer pays someone based on their ability to deliver on the needs of the employer.

As to pay, I would rather pay a guy $100/hr to fix my car right, the $20/hr to someone that screws it up.
I agree, But credentials do matter otherwise they wouldn’t exist, they establish a baseline of competence.

Regardless though I get to choose what I am willing to work for, how is that changing the subject.

If I can’t get a rate that is historically reasonable that IS an indication of a sick market and signals a time to move on, because I can’t move on to Russia Germany etc due to family reasons then I am just unemployed.

It’s not complicated, if the market can’t pay degreed professions a good wage it’s time for those people to move along even out of the USA if necessary.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM

37,823 posts, read 46,374,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Remarkable, you go out of your way to prove my point.

CM, you need to look at what I'm saying before jumping to respond. For one farming is not done for the sake of the consumer, but for the sake of the producer, which was exactly my point. Land owners being the farmers instead do not equate to factory owners (for example), but the actual laborers. The same concept for any production is true. Production is not handled to fill out market demands, but the needs of the producers. This is universal true, and yet you go out of your way to agree while claiming a disagreement.

That's a hard eyes::roll eyes:
Farming is done for the FARMER...to make a living. And that is exactly what we ALL are doing. Farming is a very different way of life. The cows are theirs but those cows are processed at a plant that is regulated, in a different city (in fact a different state). They grow thousands of acres of corn...and obviously are receiving subsidies for that. It’s a very different life than most people have, or even want, frankly. It’s hard damn work. But even the farm is not enough to allow them to devote all their time to it. The mom has her own accounting company as well. And that is across town. Previously they bought a house to fix up and flip. With the money they made from that, they bought a rental property that they kept a few years. ( All in addition to farming.) When they decided to start raising their own cattle, they sold the rental and used that income to buy more cattle. This is a hard working family. The idea that they should only produce food for their own consumption is rather foolish. They are working to make money. The same reason we all are. I am working to make money. To save for retirement one day. To buy a new car. To travel. To enjoy life. That’s exactly what they are doing - they simply are using farming as their main path to get there. (And of course they are invested in the stock market.) The “points” that you are trying to make are not based in reality. No idea why I am even responding here.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 02-20-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics