Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
I am gay.. and I'm not against same sex 'marriage' (because who cares?) but I've always thought it was laughable and pretty pointless.
No one I know has any real interest in doing it any more.
Besides, it seemed that only the poor partner was ever really interested in getting hitched!
And no one ever got 'divorced'.. they just split up and ignored the whole thing.
Talk about a fad!

Do you think it only became a 'thing' because they couldn't do it? Or maybe because they wanted to stick it to conservatives? Why do you think?

Old 01-24-2019, 02:14 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Fortunately, four college grads should find it easy to do that math.
Probably not.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:42 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Do you think it only became a 'thing' because they couldn't do it? Or maybe because they wanted to stick it to conservatives? Why do you think?
Probably a little bit of both.
I felt it was part of a 'what else do we demand now that we have almost everything'?
But in the end it succeeded mainly because traditional marriage had been reduced to an afterthought rather than the serious and meaningful rite of passage it once was.

I still get a kick when a bride wears white after she's had 2 kids by two baby daddies...neither of whom is the groom!

But we digress.. apologies.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:59 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
But we digress.. apologies.
No problem. It's pretty well known that conservatives can't hold a thought for more than a few minutes, what with all the effort getting the ideology down pat.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Can you give me an example of GOP discriminating against gays?
Seriously?

Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM

1,226 posts, read 633,265 times
I’d like to see a modern version of Horn and Hardart (automat) make a comeback. You wouldn’t have to pay a wait staff.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
I am GOP and I don't know anyone who is against same sex marriage. Can you tell me what the GOP has done to turn that law over since Trump took office? You need to dig deeper and not just listen to what your leaders tell you. Hint: They lie.
I'm kind of shocked you don't know this. Yes, I have republican acquaintances, and they say stuff like the Bible talks about Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. What are all these genders? There are two genders, men and women, and what is all this stuff about LGBTQ, snicker, are you kidding me, "identifies as female? Maybe I'll identify as a horse".

I really DON'T know how you don't hear this all the time.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They cited the case of Angelica Kitchen as an example of the impact of the minimum wage hike.

"The pioneering East Village vegan eatery is slated to close on April 7th, after forty years of operation—its owner, Leslie McEachern, said that rising rents and a changing neighborhood led to its demise."

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...ngry-and-weird

Average wage range for food service workers tops out at around $15/hr. So in one fell swoop, they attempted to create a new floor which is going to weed out the less productive.
Their rent was $21,000 a month. Gotta sell a lot of tofu bowls to cover that. Big chunks of Manhattan are being hollowed out by rising rents. It's hard to believe a couple bucks an hour for staff can be the tipping point for a business in that situation.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Not LGBTQ, but the Supreme Court just upheld the Trump administration ban on transgender people serving in the military in spite of strong opposition from military leadership.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 PM

The federal minimum wage was raised every few years from 1938 to 2009 to keep up with the cost of living. Since 2009 it's been stuck at $7.25. Why did we stop raising it? I don't know, but I'm guessing it was the recession + the tea party. I'm not aware that minimum wage increases were a huge burden to business during the 70 years when it was increased regularly.

Should we leave it at $7.25 forever? Is that enough for anyone to live a decent life anywhere in the country? If not, what is the point of having it? Should we do as the libertarians suggest and abolish it? Has anyone read Lord of the Flies?

Before people start blaming the victims and saying they should get an education to improve their lot in life, there will always be people at the bottom of the income ladder. Hotel maids, nursing home attendants, childcare workers, etc. These are jobs that need to be done and can't be automated. Do they not deserve a survival wage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics