Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 11:00 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,803,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The essence of lower taxes for the middle class works for me. The reality of politics will never allow this without 1000 pages of subsidies, exceptions and gotyas. In the end the amount of gov't will be about the same.
Sad but true.

Its because most Americans don't hold politicians accountable when they pull this crap. They either don't care or don't understand.

Politicians are not serving us but "big money" who lines their pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM

390 posts, read 307,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
What do you think would happen if all money was redistributed equally amongst everyone?

If the poor were suddenly put on an equal playing field, would the thrive? Or would they find themselves poor again?

Thoughts?

I personally think that within a short time, the rich would be wealthy again and the poor would be poor again. It is not what you make, but how you manage the money you have. So unless they had a crash course, they would continue making the same choices that put them in the poor house previously.

Yes, I agree with you. It would take maybe 5 years at the most before everything would be back to the way it was before leveling the playing field. The same rich individuals would be rich and the same poor ones would be poor.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Redistribution of wealth is a fraud .
It's also impossible.

The top 25% hold about $70 TRILLION in Wealth.

That $70 TRILLION is not in the form of cash, rather it's in the form of assets and the only possible way to distribute it is to liquidate the assets.

The only way to liquidate assets is to sell them, so who has $70 TRILLION in cash to purchase $70 TRILLION in assets?

Does everyone see how ignorant and ill-informed Liberals really are?

They scream "wealth redistribution" without realizing there is no way to do that, because they got caught up in their own Liberal propaganda and disinformation equivocating Income with Wealth.

What about $3 TRILLION? That would be a tiny 4.2% of the total Wealth.

Who has $3 TRILLION in cash to purchase $3 TRILLION in assets?

No one. The government doesn't even have that.

I suppose Liberals would want the government to spend $3 TRILLION in cash they don't have to buy $3 TRILLION in assets.

Talk about inflating the federal debt.

Okay, so the government is now sitting on $3 TRILLION in assets.

Now what?

The only way government can redistribute that is to liquidate the assets, who has $3 TRILLION in cash to buy $3 TRILLION in assets?

As I pointed out, no one.

The story so far....

The Liberal fantasy of redistributing wealth has resulted in the government increasing the federal debt by $3 TRILLION, and now Liberals are whining that the federal debt is too high, so the government sells the $3 TRILLION in assets to pay down the $3 TRILLION in debt it created to buy the assets in the first place.

Is that not the stupidest thing you've ever heard?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:38 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
What do you think would happen if all money was redistributed equally amongst everyone?

If the poor were suddenly put on an equal playing field, would the thrive? Or would they find themselves poor again?

Thoughts?

I personally think that within a short time, the rich would be wealthy again and the poor would be poor again. It is not what you make, but how you manage the money you have. So unless they had a crash course, they would continue making the same choices that put them in the poor house previously.

Whether a person is rich or poor stems from capabilities, access, execution, ambition, time invested and luck. Money just keeps score. That's all. If I woke up tomorrow and was suddenly the owner of Google and tried to run the company, I'd likely run it into the ground. I wouldn't want to be the keeper of the world's information. A monk may be able to run it, but has little desire to accumulate wealth in this world.

The more dangerous aspect comes into play is if there's an expectation of equal share in the benefits. Capabilities diminish as people don't invest in themselves expecting a greater outcome, execution decreases because performance does not have a financial reward, access is likely shifted as people seek out the least taxing jobs to perform, ambition is obliterated as it is not rewarded, time invested will be reduced to the minimum required and luck would be all that's left in hoping that someone is producing somewhere as I have no control over my situation outside of what is on the offer.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:53 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's also impossible.

The top 25% hold about $70 TRILLION in Wealth.

That $70 TRILLION is not in the form of cash, rather it's in the form of assets and the only possible way to distribute it is to liquidate the assets.

The only way to liquidate assets is to sell them, so who has $70 TRILLION in cash to purchase $70 TRILLION in assets?

Does everyone see how ignorant and ill-informed Liberals really are?

They scream "wealth redistribution" without realizing there is no way to do that, because they got caught up in their own Liberal propaganda and disinformation equivocating Income with Wealth.

What about $3 TRILLION? That would be a tiny 4.2% of the total Wealth.

Who has $3 TRILLION in cash to purchase $3 TRILLION in assets?

No one. The government doesn't even have that.

I suppose Liberals would want the government to spend $3 TRILLION in cash they don't have to buy $3 TRILLION in assets.

Talk about inflating the federal debt.

Okay, so the government is now sitting on $3 TRILLION in assets.

Now what?

The only way government can redistribute that is to liquidate the assets, who has $3 TRILLION in cash to buy $3 TRILLION in assets?

As I pointed out, no one.

The story so far....

The Liberal fantasy of redistributing wealth has resulted in the government increasing the federal debt by $3 TRILLION, and now Liberals are whining that the federal debt is too high, so the government sells the $3 TRILLION in assets to pay down the $3 TRILLION in debt it created to buy the assets in the first place.

Is that not the stupidest thing you've ever heard?
The OP said money, not wealth. And did not say which money. i.e. USD, or all global moneys. Currency and/or debt money?

Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Yes, I agree with you. It would take maybe 5 years at the most before everything would be back to the way it was before leveling the playing field. The same rich individuals would be rich and the same poor ones would be poor.
What about those in the middle class?

Old 02-05-2019, 03:53 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
What about those in the middle class?

The same. It's an idiotic exercise.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:54 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
The OP said money, not wealth. And did not say which money. i.e. USD, or all global moneys. Currency and/or debt money?

That's another thing........does the OP thinks it will just stop there?

I gave the previous illustration of my ranch, one person for 10+ acres. Isn't that too much for one person? Shouldn't it be redistributed?

Money, cars, land, food, it goes on and on.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The same. It's an idiotic exercise.
This is an economics forum. So IMO a question, though vague and unrealistic, that desires answers.

Our middle class could benefit from such a plan. But I would do something related to central supports or money creation, not take from the rich.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:49 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
What would happen if all money was redistributed equally?

People who worked hard and saved all their lives, would find themselves without the nest egg (or retirement fund) they had worked so hard to accumulate.

Companies planning to expand and hire more workers, would cancel those plans when the cash they needed to do it melted away.

Younger people who planned to work hard and save their way into prosperity, would no longer bother, knowing it would all be taken away from them before they could use it in their later years.

Lazy people would become even lazier, slacking off at work or even quitting their jobs, knowing the money of the wealthy would soon be coming their way, so why work hard?

Pharmaceutical companies developing a new drug to battle cancer, would abandon the programs when the money they needed to pay their scientists vanished overnight, long before the drugs were perfected and brought to market.

Families who were ready to take out a mortgage and buy a house, would have to cancel their plans when the bank they were going to borrow from, lost is capitalization overnight and had to refuse all mortgage requests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics