Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I think it depends. Unskilled jobs overall pay less than in California metro areas. When I moved to Atlanta I was surprised how much McDonald’s paid compared to California. On other jobs sometimes the pay is pretty good to a point where the ratio of pay to col favors out of state.
I’ve met some people that have a pretty good standard of living out here.
One of my friends worked for Cisco and moved from the Bay Area with the same pay to Raleigh nc. He went from living in an apartment to buying a semi custom home of 3500 sq ft.
His lifestyle has radically upgraded. After a few years amazon recruited him. He still travels to the Bay Area for work and I asked him if he thought about moving back. He said no way. He said you don’t realize how the Bay Area rates until you live somewhere else and then travel back and forth and can compare.

My first few years here in Georgia it was always in the back of my mind to someday move back to California. I spend about 5 to 6 weeks every year visiting so I can make back and forth comparisons and as time went on I realized that for me there was no reason to move back.
Obviously I'm not in Arizona so I can't say for sure one way or the other...After my son graduated from College with a degree in accounting he worked in both Nevada and Arizona and his salary was less than 30k in both states. He moved to California and his first job there had a starting salary of $53,000.

I found this in an article discussing the gap between teacher and police pay. I won't claim it's 100% accurate but the numbers look right for California and Nevada.
State...................average teacher pay...........average police pay

California.............$76,523.................... ........$100,090
Arizona................$45,313.................... ........$65,810
Nevada................$56,803..................... .......$73,930

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd.../#31c799d931b0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 11:33 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yeah but the problem is you wouldn't be getting that $50,000 for the same job in most other states, or maybe you never noticed that? I've been to just about every state and I lived in Nevada so I hardly need to 'travel more'

As far as Amazon, why should I explain to you why they paid negative tax and had a profit of 11 billion, I'm sure you will say I'm wrong because that's how you roll
Ranting about it is meaningless if you don't understand the "why."

Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Ranting about it is meaningless if you don't understand the "why."
lol that's hilarious. Now Mr. TaxPhd is going to admonish us as to what s meaningless and what isn't

Old 02-25-2019, 01:29 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Yeah but the problem is you wouldn't be getting that $50,000 for the same job in most other states
Which states? Be specific. Maybe talk about income to expenses ratio, or even bring up COL measures. So far you've brought up... zilch? Just made a blanket judgement on a number because "you think" it's low.

Quote:
As far as Amazon, why should I explain to you why they paid negative tax and had a profit of 11 billion, I'm sure you will say I'm wrong because that's how you roll
You should explain it because I don't believe you actually understand what Amazon did, or why it's completely normal and the way 99% of businesses within that cap range would operate. In fact most people who have posted "criticism" of Amazon and it's tax situation have posted lots of mistruths, or outright wrong perceptions of why Amazon was able to accomplish what they did. But what do I know, I've only started, sold a business, worked for years to reduce my tax exposure, and become exceedingly wealthy from over a decade of being an entrepreneur.

You could prove me wrong of course, or just ignore it and never address the topic again. Either way.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:31 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
lol that's hilarious. Now Mr. TaxPhd is going to admonish us as to what s meaningless and what isn't
It's no skin off my nose if you want to demonstrate your ignorance for all to see.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:37 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Uh no, he's right. If you're going to be critical of something, you should at least have a passing understanding of what is happening. Just making blanket statements like "rich companies bad", doesn't really add much to this forum.

That might have value in the California forum, but this is the Economics/Business forum. People here are looking at things usually under a very critical and educated scope (which is why this forum has a lot of value on these topics). Fair warning since you seem to be new here.

Old 02-25-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Which states? Be specific. Maybe talk about income to expenses ratio, or even bring up COL measures. So far you've brought up... zilch? Just made a blanket judgement on a number because "you think" it's low.

You should explain it because I don't believe you actually understand what Amazon did, or why it's completely normal and the way 99% of businesses within that cap range would operate. In fact most people who have posted "criticism" of Amazon and it's tax situation have posted lots of mistruths, or outright wrong perceptions of why Amazon was able to accomplish what they did. But what do I know, I've only started, sold a business, worked for years to reduce my tax exposure, and become exceedingly wealthy from over a decade of being an entrepreneur.

You could prove me wrong of course, or just ignore it and never address the topic again. Either way.
Let me put it this way. My son is a CPA and he is the one who told me about Amazon and he explained 'how' they did it and stressed that it was perfectly legal. There's simply no point to yield to your demand and explain something that if you don't know you could readily find out.

As far as the cost of living in other states, I don't need to explain it, that wasn't my point. I was responding to a post in which it was suggested that someone making 50k in California should just move to another state with the implication that they would receive 50k for the same job in another state. And they most likely wouldn't. To illustrate that I posted the difference in Salaries for teachers and police officers in 3 different states right here: //www.city-data.com/forum/54530206-post311.html If you want to calculate cost of living, feel free to do so

Old 02-25-2019, 02:45 PM

2,747 posts, read 1,782,581 times
Quote:
Let me put it this way. My son is a CPA and he is the one who told me about Amazon and he explained 'how' they did it and stressed that it was perfectly legal. There's simply no point to yield to your demand and explain something that if you don't know you could readily find out.
Did your son the CPA also explain to you that AMZN is getting a $129 million check from the IRS?

Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuiteLiving View Post
Did your son the CPA also explain to you that AMZN is getting a $129 million check from the IRS?
He sure did and I mentioned it in my post, why do you ask?

Old 02-25-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Uh no, he's right. If you're going to be critical of something, you should at least have a passing understanding of what is happening. Just making blanket statements like "rich companies bad", doesn't really add much to this forum.

That might have value in the California forum, but this is the Economics/Business forum. People here are looking at things usually under a very critical and educated scope (which is why this forum has a lot of value on these topics). Fair warning since you seem to be new here.
No, you are not the boss applesauce. I have not broken any of the rules of this forum and as far as I know you and Mr Tax do not get to write new terms of service for this site. However if they change the rules I will be glad to follow them. And yes, I'm brand new, I've only been registered on the site since 2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics