Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 11:25 PM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

This has nothing to do with any of them.
It has everything to do with them. Nordstom, DSW, Nike, Shoe Carnivial, etc. all sell products through Amazon and Ebay as well as proviving their own sites you can order from directly.

Wait, you thought Amazon was selling unauthorized Nikes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 11:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I was hoping that this was a joke. For the most part, the shoes I've bought at Payless have been pretty good quality. They last me just as long as the shoes I used to buy for $70. Let's be real...pretty sure most people don't wear the same shoes after 3 years and Payless shoes have always lasted me at least 2-3 years. Almost all the shoes I have right now are from Payless.

Pros: Affordable. They usually had my size. Pretty comfy. Lasted a good amount of time. Good return policy. Nice variety of shoes online.

Cons: The only thing I didn't like was in the physical store, it was always the same design as if they changed designs out once a year or once every two years.

Really disappointed to hear all this and I guess I better be on the look out for the shutdown sales. I don't know if that's really a term but whatever.
Lol, they do when they are of actual quality.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. There was a time that whenever I bought shoes, they came from Payless--they might not have been the fanciest around, but they were good shoes and the prices were reasonable, but I probably haven't set foot in one for ten years. It just seemed about that time that the quality of their shoes deteriorated, and they were bringing in what I found to be unattractive styles--I remember I'd gone in looking for a pair of plain, black pumps, which you would think you'd have an abundance of, and everything that had was, to my eyes, overdone and ugly. (Buckles or bows everywhere seemed to be the 'thing', as I recall, and I was sitting there thinking, "I just want PLAIN black heels that'll go everywhere!") When you can't find a very basic shoe style.....not good.

Why in the world would anyone have "mixed feelings" about a store closing?

I'd wager that most people don't think, Gee, I wish [Insert store name] would close (or am happy about it), because I don't shop there.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:58 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No shock.
Me either. While they have a web site, you can't order shoes from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I'm unhappy about this. This is where I've been buying my kids shoes for years. They have reasonable prices, and a good selection. No they don't last the longest, but with kids feet growing like they do, I was needing to buy new shoes every year anyway. Oh well. Guess I'll just get their shoes at famous footwear and pay a ton more. Boo.
We go there too. It's our only shoe store besides stores you can buy shoes in, we have lots of those, Target, Walmart, Ross, Marshalls.

I think if they would have allowed people to buy online they may not be going under

Old 02-17-2019, 04:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Lol, they do when they are of actual quality.
Most of my shoes last more than 2-3 years except sneakers that get worn heavily or snow boots that get worn I harsh conditions. I have never shopped at Payless and have found good deals at DSW, Ross, Marshall’s, Nordstrom Rack, outlet malls, etc.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:54 AM

264 posts, read 200,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ebay, Amazon, and the internet claim another victim. In general, most shoe stores will probably be closing eventually.

You just can't compete with the endless selection and prices of online retail products.

Only part of the equation....look deeper. This was more a case of short term corporate piracy.

In 2012, Golden Gate Capital and Blum Capital Partners bought Payless in a leveraged buyout. They then proceeded to bleed the company of cash, and loaded up the balance sheet with debt. The took 400 million bucks out in the form of debt funded dividends (to themselves mostly), and left Payless in bankruptcy in 2017. It was never able to recover, and this last filing is merely the final bone picking of the company.

Search for and watch the older movie (1991) called "Other People's Money" staring Danny DeVito for a humorous primer on how this type of piracy works.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Picked up a pair of Crocs for first time late last summer at local DSW (they were having a half off sale), and find them remarkably comfortable. Wear them around the house instead of slippers or flip flops.
I work on concrete floors all day, and crocs are the only footwear that does not hurt my feet.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:40 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Oh my God! Where am I going to get my shoes? Say what you want, the ballerina slippers are comfortable. More people are out of work.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:50 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn_eddy View Post
Only part of the equation....look deeper. This was more a case of short term corporate piracy.

In 2012, Golden Gate Capital and Blum Capital Partners bought Payless in a leveraged buyout. They then proceeded to bleed the company of cash, and loaded up the balance sheet with debt. The took 400 million bucks out in the form of debt funded dividends (to themselves mostly), and left Payless in bankruptcy in 2017. It was never able to recover, and this last filing is merely the final bone picking of the company.

Search for and watch the older movie (1991) called "Other People's Money" staring Danny DeVito for a humorous primer on how this type of piracy works.
I wondered if it was something like that.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Picked up a pair of Crocs for first time late last summer at local DSW (they were having a half off sale), and find them remarkably comfortable. Wear them around the house instead of slippers or flip flops.
They have actually helped correct some of my back issues. I no longer have to see a chiropractor on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics