Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 01:18 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,779,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Cheesie,

The point is..... this was sold as a "TAX CUT."

So if your withholdings went "down" $20 per month for a total of $240 for the year, then wouldn't that equal the "tax cut?"

Yet, a lot of people are seeing a "tax INCREASE" because they're paying MORE (taxes) than last year.

Their argument is that #1: Their pay didn't change. #2: Their withholding dropped $20 (SOLD AS THEIR NEW TAX CUT) then....... their return should be the same as last year. #3 Its NOT! Its FAR LESS. So they're saying, yes their tax was cut, but it was their tax "REFUND" that was cut. And that "CUT" in refund FAR EXCEEDED what they 'SAVED' in withholding cuts.
Say you and I go out for the same meal at the same restaurant, you get charged $60 and pay for it with a $100 bill, I get charged $50 and pay for it with 3 $20s.

Are you saying you're getting the better deal because you get $40 in change and I only get $10?

That's the conclusion people are coming to when focusing on refund amounts.

What was your tax liability under this law vs. what would your tax liability under the old law.

Mine went down 16% so I'm much better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 02:16 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,127,290 times
I ended up better off. I did adjust my withholdings last February to help balance the amount.

Many people seem to approach their home budget on autopilot. I seriously do not understand bouncing along in life, working for more then a third of it, and not seeming to care how to handle money.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
The wealthy are laughing all the way to the bank and the "little people" are grousing about smaller tax refunds. Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

"The national debt surpassed $22 trillion for the first time on Tuesday (Feb 12), a milestone that experts warned is further proof the country is on an unsustainable financial path that could jeopardize the economic security of every American."

"The U.S. economy's estimated growth rate in the fourth quarter was slashed to 1.5% from 2.7% by the Atlanta Federal Reserve after declines in retail sales and inventories. "

Trump's tax cuts are unsustainable.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The working class don't really pay much in tax to begin with, I should know - I are one!!

Ok, maybe not right now, but I was, and I didn't pay that much in taxes.
If you have a job you are 'working class', and if you are salaried without commission you are 'fixed income'.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:57 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The wealthy are laughing all the way to the bank and the "little people" are grousing about smaller tax refunds. Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

"The national debt surpassed $22 trillion for the first time on Tuesday (Feb 12), a milestone that experts warned is further proof the country is on an unsustainable financial path that could jeopardize the economic security of every American."

"The U.S. economy's estimated growth rate in the fourth quarter was slashed to 1.5% from 2.7% by the Atlanta Federal Reserve after declines in retail sales and inventories. "

Trump's tax cuts are unsustainable.
If we look at annualized (GDP) growth rates it tells a different story from the one you are indicating. For the 12 months preceding the election in 2016, the average annualized growth rate was 2.55%. If we look at the average annualized growth rate for the 24 months following the election of Donald Trump, the average annualized growth rate was 4.44%.

US GDP Growth Rate by Quarter

Feel free to compare unemployment rates for women, minorities, and overall unemployment and you'll see a distinct difference too between Trump's numbers and Obama's numbers. Sure, the national debt is increasing, just as it was under Obama, but that's primarily due to 2/3 of the entire budget being "entitlement" programs set up by previous Democrat administrations. Then, by the time we figure in money for the military budget and operations of the federal government, there are darn few places we can cut spending... or perhaps I should say there are darn few places the Dems would allow spending to be cut. If current political sound bites are any indication, the federal spending and deficit would skyrocket if Dems get control of the White House in 2020.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
If you have a job you are 'working class', and if you are salaried without commission you are 'fixed income'.
So Trump is a member of the working class? Or Elon Musk? Or (insert wealthy individual)? And someone who is unemployed is not? Interesting viewpoint.

Last edited by wheelsup; 02-20-2019 at 08:36 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 02:37 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
I love the TCJA! Our taxes worked out fantastic for us!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Real world situation here, not some internet BS. I finished my 2018 federal tax return 2 days ago. Compared to my 2017 taxes, my Adjusted Gross Income INCREASED almost 20% and my total federal taxes paid DECREASED by 13%.

I earned more money and paid less taxes. What's not to like about that?

Old 03-02-2019, 04:20 PM

354 posts, read 280,931 times
+1

I had $750 less withheld during tax year 2018 vs 2017 and got back $900 more in the refund than the prior year.

(This is almost entirely due to the increase in both the CTC amount and the amount that is refundable. AGI was ~40k both years, and have always taken the standard deduction.)

Last edited by happygeek; 03-02-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 04:39 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
All this blather over something nearly anyone who paid attention at the time already knew; benefits of the so called "Tax Cut and Jobs Act" went to businesses/corporations and certain wealthy households.

Where everyone else fit into the scheme largely depended upon their particular household financial circumstances.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/how...ll-51551495755

Don't know why so many are getting all hot and or acting surprised; DT,GOP,Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan did what republicans have always done for decades; pass more "trickle down" tax policy. This had been the particular wet dream of Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell for years; but long as Obama was president and GOP didn't command enough of majority it never stood a chance.

So now all those who voted DT and otherwise GOP into office can now either cheer or cry regarding their tax situation. Long as one or both remain in charge nothing is going to change absent the scheduled sunset provisions. If DT remains in WH and GOP holds their majority in senate come 2020, then there will be no sunset; provisions will be made permanent, and people will just have to make up their minds to reality on the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics