Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:42 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And then there's this:
None of which is on topic regarding the share of personal Federal Income Tax being paid by the Top 1% is at an all-time high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 11:44 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
The real problem here is the distribution of the wealth.
What problem, exactly, are you referring to?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:58 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Of course it is. It's just the Democrats trying to whip up class warfare to keep the voters voting for them. There are obviously more poor than rich so it's a winning strategy to convince lower income people who often pay little or no federal income taxes that the evil rich are taking advantage of them.
Class warfare never stopped but now top 1% is winning it big. American proles developed a megasized Stockholm Syndrome toward the fleecing class, combine that with traditional forms of brainwashing and full fledged police state standing by top 1% and even a thought that proles are capable of waging any "war" become ridiculous. Top 1% enjoys the levels of subjugation unknown to the parasitic classes of the past.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,618,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
What problem, exactly, are you referring to?
None actually as long as we are okay with the 1% paying an ever more growing portion of the federal taxes. I could be wrong but you seem to be arguing that they pay too much or that the middle and working class should be paying their fair share. If one expects those outside of the 1% to pay more tax then the wealth should be spread out more evenigly hopefully.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:00 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhubaba View Post
I was also wondering about how the income tax share of the top 1% changed over time, but didn't find anything going back that far to the 40's or 50's.

The best I found is the chart below showing the income tax share of the top 1% from 1980 to 2011. The top marginal income tax rate in 1980 was 70%, but the income tax share of the top 1% was less than 20%, less than half of what it is today.
The 80's was Regan and thats when trickle down economic started so you really have to go back MUCH farther.

So we are better than when Regan started his failed policies, I guess thats a start but we are a long way from where we once were.

BTW I dont want wealth spread out, I want a significant number of boards and CEO's doing hard prison time (in some cases the rest of their lives in a hard core prison with drug dealers, lock downs, etc). I want their accounts cashed out and the money burned, they can print them out on $10,000 bills to make it easier.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
BTW I dont want wealth spread out, I want a significant number of boards and CEO's doing hard prison time (in some cases the rest of their lives in a hard core prison with drug dealers, lock downs, etc). I want their accounts cashed out and the money burned, they can print them out on $10,000 bills to make it easier.
for what crime? having more money than you?

what is trickle down economics?

Old 02-23-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Class warfare never stopped but now top 1% is winning it big. American proles developed a megasized Stockholm Syndrome toward the fleecing class, combine that with traditional forms of brainwashing and full fledged police state standing by top 1% and even a thought that proles are capable of waging any "war" become ridiculous. Top 1% enjoys the levels of subjugation unknown to the parasitic classes of the past.
The only way it would work is if forign terrorists teamed up and somehow had the same agenda. Terrorists would have to gain access to many multiples of tactical nuclear weapons or even full blown nuclear weapons.

Without nuclear weapons in the hands of small groups outside the control of the 1% then you are correct.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
for what crime? having more money than you?

what is trickle down economics?
The justice dept does not prosecute white collar crimes and almost no efforts are made to collect evidence. They need to have govt agents that physically sit at corporate offices who have FULL access to every email, folder and file and as soon as the slightest impropriety is seen someone needs to do jail time.

The reason there is no accountability is because the prosecution rarely has enough evidence because its buried in corporate servers or file cabnets.

We have alot of laws on the books like anti trust that if enforced there would be ALOT of businessmen in prison. Scads of them.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,664,329 times
So the top 1% pay all the taxes, yet they are still in the top 1% after tax. As long as the inequality continues such as Amazon Will Pay a Whopping $0 in Federal Taxes on*$11.2 Billion*Profits. I say effem.

Old 02-23-2019, 02:57 PM

185 posts, read 143,369 times
I wonder what the percentage of tax paid versus wealth would be...? The wealth gap continues to grow at an unprecedented rate. If...... (and I don't know the correct numbers) the 1% owned 70% of all wealth, yet paid only 50% of taxes, wouldn't that mean that the 99% owned 30% of all wealth, yet paid 50% of taxes?? Seems perfectly fair to me.. lol.

I'm sure the REAL numbers are no where near that.... right???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics