Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 01:56 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
What is artificial? What about when companies buy out other companies and consolidate power. How is that not market distortion but a union is. By definition an individual worker has FAR less leverage than a mega corporation in a society where violence against said companies are outlawed.

These companies operate at the permission of the voter. Your business license is issued because the people allow it. You dont have a right to do business in the USA just because you want to. Companies have pulled the wool over peoples eyes but I think people are wising up that the USA is the biggest market in the world and if they were smart make companies pay dearly for that privilege, not exploit US citizens.
there is always going to be distortions in everything .. isn't the stock market prices determined by market pricing ? of course it is , but their are distortions all the time ..

but like i said , i don't care about all these articles and statistics and straw people i don't know .. i care about how i navigate and control my situation .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 02:22 AM

603 posts, read 442,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

But many employers, who hire low wage workers who consider their employees expendable. They pay them as little as they can and have made the calculation that it's cheaper to lose them and hire and train new employees than to pay them more. To be honest, that's an awful decision because it really keeps people stuck in low paying jobs, but from the employers point of view it's perfectly rational
This is manifestly untrue .. training is easily the single biggest cost over the first 3 years of employment. It’s much much much more expensive to lose and train a new employee. Employers offer wages at a level where trained employees are retained. You know nothing about business it’s obvious.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 AM

it depends on the level of work .the lower down on the food chain the easier to replace ..

we have had warehouse workers functioning just fine after day 1 ...

on the other hand , i retired 3-1/2 years ago but still come in one day a week and do technical product training for higher level employees , which i enjoy so i continue to do it

Old 03-08-2019, 03:38 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is always going to be distortions in everything .. isn't the stock market prices determined by market pricing ? of course it is , but their are distortions all the time ..

but like i said , i don't care about all these articles and statistics and straw people i don't know .. i care about how i navigate and control my situation .
The problem is as a society we ... for some reason ... seek to maximize these distortions rather than to keep them to an absolute minimum.

We are not operating in a free market right now, in fact it is VERY far from free. We have so many distortions we cant really call what we have capitalism anymore. It is basically feudalism lite.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:42 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
it depends on the level of work .the lower down on the food chain the easier to replace ..

we have had warehouse workers functioning just fine after day 1 ...

on the other hand , i retired 3-1/2 years ago but still come in one day a week and do technical product training for higher level employees , which i enjoy so i continue to do it
I have argued with friends that those jobs should not exist. Our society is loaded with BS jobs, that if they went away few would notice. The absence of these jobs would force people to do something more useful with their time.

You keep hearing business owners talk about automation, I am ready for it. I would like to see fully automated mcdonalds. And I mean fully fully automated where there is literally no one there, alarm systems in place for police response maybe a security guy that comes by during slow times.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The problem is as a society we ... for some reason ... seek to maximize these distortions rather than to keep them to an absolute minimum.

We are not operating in a free market right now, in fact it is VERY far from free. We have so many distortions we cant really call what we have capitalism anymore. It is basically feudalism lite.
in the end , like i said , who cares .. all that matters is how you handle your own life's path . you can't change what others do . so these discussions on wages are useless banter ...anyway i am done here ... nice chattin

Old 03-08-2019, 09:53 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
You can only control your situation within the "playing field" others have made for you. That's all any of us do. You're doing well, and at least you are satisfied, which is great. But you are ignoring that "playing field" and how it has negatively affected most of the people in this country. The attitude that "I'll get mine, screw everyone else" is going to land us in deeper trouble eventually.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:56 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,987,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
This is manifestly untrue .. training is easily the single biggest cost over the first 3 years of employment. It’s much much much more expensive to lose and train a new employee. Employers offer wages at a level where trained employees are retained. You know nothing about business it’s obvious.
Exactly.

This is why it's funny to see comments from people who have never ever hired anyone before, yet try to lecture those that have.

Training is a hugely expensive cost for private sector employers. A well trained employee jumping ship is a huge loss for a company and has many down road effects on productivity and the bottom line. I always tried to offer incentives at my company to keep people long term once they passed their probation period.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:33 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,595,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
This is why it's funny to see comments from people who have never ever hired anyone before, yet try to lecture those that have.
I've worked in private sector at high level positions, and hired for my own business. No one ever spent time or money training me. Paying head hunters, satisfying their HR department, and moving my household across the country... ya, that was expensive. And it takes while to learn to use a company's systems effectively. But no one trained me.

The people we hire receive some direct training, but that's the specific nature of the job. Some positions take a day, others maybe a couple weeks of shadowing and instruction before they are able to work on their own.

The ridiculous aspect is people thinking that any of this has bearing on the reality that companies seek to minimize the employee compensation expense.

They seek to minimize utility costs also, but that doesn't mean they turn off the heat in winter...

Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Exactly.

Training is a hugely expensive cost for private sector employers. A well trained employee jumping ship is a huge loss for a company and has many down road effects on productivity and the bottom line. I always tried to offer incentives at my company to keep people long term once they passed their probation period.
I will add that a friend of mine who got an engineering degree, worked as a firefighter, and a few years back got her masters rn. She is 55 and no one will hire her because of the cost to train her and the idea that they won’t get 20 or 30 years of her training coming back to them because of her age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics