Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:18 PM

34 posts, read 28,154 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I am kind of struggling with trying to choose a reliable vehicle. It’s got to be a Toyota or Honda. So I can get a 1996 Tacoma low miles (139,000) and 4X4 5 speed xtra cab with a 4 cylinder (very very reliable and known to last years) it’s been inspected by a shop and they said it’s perfect and gave me the green light. No frame rust anywhere. It’s $6000 but if you look around you’ll see rusted out Tacoma’s or 4runners from that era that are 270,000 miles asking the same amount. They hold their value very well cause they last. I’ve seen 400,000 to a million miles on these. The plan with the Tacoma is to run it into the ground so I can save up for a duplex or triplex or even just a single home of my own and once property is bought buy a corolla or Camry to daily drive and have the truck for truck stuff and blizzards. I need a 4x4 or AWD where I live and do multiple trips to the family cabin through brutal conditions. The other option is to buy a newer, safer, 4runner. It’s a 2007 with 121,000 miles. It’s 13,300. I’d like that instead but money’s tight and I feel like it would be more to maintain than the bare bones Tacoma. All though it can seat 4 and presents a better image to outsiders.

So a bit about my money.

Make about $800 a week gross
Really early in my career
Have about $17,500 cash saved up
Kind of hard to build that kind of cash up with my income.
I have a Roth IRA that I contribute to monthly for my retirement I started at 24 (26 now)

So spend 13,300 and have $4200 left
Or spend $6000 and have a stil reliable as heck but older truck and have $11,500 left over.

Let me know what your thoughts are. I’m looking for answers of people who have been through a similar fork in the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 12:25 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
And why do you need a truck exactly?
It is not frugal, an average person doesn't need a truck for anything and you can't even pick up chicks with that make and age. Also anything that old develops fatigue of metals, the thing can just break in the middle of not rusted frame.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnow92 View Post
...trying to choose a reliable vehicle.
I’m looking for answers of people who have been through a similar fork in the road.
I think you need to find another fork.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
And why do you need a truck exactly?
It is not frugal, an average person doesn't need a truck for anything and you can't even pick up chicks with that make and age. Also anything that old develops fatigue of metal, the think can just break in the middle of not rusted frame.
Don’t really need one but would be nice for mountain bikes and such. Guess could be settlled with a bike rack on a car. I just really want AWD or 4WD. Yeah you’re right. No chicks would like that ride

Old 02-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think you need to find another fork.
Yeah you may be right. 4Runners aren’t too frugal

Old 02-23-2019, 01:24 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Don’t really need one but would be nice for mountain bikes and such. Guess could be settlled with a bike rack on a car. I just really want AWD or 4WD. Yeah you’re right. No chicks would like that ride
Just my opinion:

You are confusing want with need, and have already eliminated many more practical types of vehicles; such as the cars you rejected until you save more money. Sort of backwards thinking. That's not being frugal, that's using something other than money to make the decision. I'll leave what that might be up to your imagination. You also have to consider the costs to operate it, insure it, and possibly keep it repaired. Then there's safety in poor conditions. Pickup type vehicles are notorious unless you load the beds with a lot of weight...which means you can't use them. It might make more sense to buy a slightly newer mid-small crossover vehicle (such as a Subaru Outback or an AWD sedan) and plan to drive it longer. There are a dozen ways to attach a rack to a car when you need one. When you don't need one, you don't have to mess with it and your mileage is better. Once you have more financial flexibility and discretionary savings, you can get the vehicle your "heart" wants. As soon as you finish paying for one vehicle you start saving for the next.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-23-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Just my opinion:

You are confusing want with need, and have already eliminated many more practical types of vehicles; such as the cars you rejected until you save more money. Sort of backwards thinking. That's not being frugal, that's using something other than money to make the decision. I'll leave what that might be up to your imagination. You also have to consider the costs to operate it, insure it, and possibly keep it repaired. Then there's safety in poor conditions. Pickup type vehicles are notorious unless you load the beds with a lot of weight...which means you can't use them. It might make more sense to buy a slightly newer mid-small crossover vehicle (such as a Subaru Outback or an AWD sedan) and plan to drive it longer. There are a dozen ways to attach a rack to a car when you need one. When you don't need one, you don't have to mess with it and your mileage is better. Once you have more financial flexibility and discretionary savings, you can get the vehicle your "heart" wants. As soon as you finish paying for one vehicle you start saving for the next.
You are totally right. I’m not looking at the big picture. I’m just scared of a big snow fall and not being able to clear it with a sedan. I’ve owned trucks before and they just plow right through. But realistically that happens like, once a year. I’m very skidish about Subaru’s pre 2011. Lots of head gasket problems and timing belt issues and their CVT automatic transmissions are straight garbage. It would have to be a post 2011 manual for me to feel happy with getting a Subaru. I’ve owned two foresters in the past (2001 and 2007) and they were both very poor. The 2007 was a lemon. Ideal I’d want a AWD Toyota Matrix. There is a 2006 near me with 143,000 but he’s asking $7400 which is a bit much. But 26 city 31 HWY and AWD

Old 02-23-2019, 02:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Single guy... Go economical and robust (whatever that may be). I would keep looking till I found the perfect fit.
Honda is a dependable city car, but I would not count on that in AK!

I would find a diesel HiLux / Toyota! (out of Canada)

My BEST vehicle was my $70 - 1951 GMC pickup with camper cover served as a home when I was your age. ( I had to buy a house for a disabled parent when I was age 19, but didn't want to live there.).

Today... I drive a 1976 VW Diesel Rabbit (I have had several of them since 1976).

Last one cost $35, (YMMV)
they serve me 300,000 - 500,000 miles

50 mpg - Free fuel since 1976

Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
You are totally right. I’m not looking at the big picture. I’m just scared of a big snow fall and not being able to clear it with a sedan. I’ve owned trucks before and they just plow right through. But realistically that happens like, once a year. I’m very skidish about Subaru’s pre 2011. Lots of head gasket problems and timing belt issues and their CVT automatic transmissions are straight garbage. It would have to be a post 2011 manual for me to feel happy with getting a Subaru. I’ve owned two foresters in the past (2001 and 2007) and they were both very poor. The 2007 was a lemon. Ideal I’d want a AWD Toyota Matrix. There is a 2006 near me with 143,000 but he’s asking $7400 which is a bit much. But 26 city 31 HWY and AWD
Again, you have to look at the overall driving situation, NOT a once a year event. That makes no sense. Prepare for that possibility in advance; learn to drive your car defensively in bad weather. Keep emergency gear in it in winter. Use the best tires you can get. Have traction devices handy. Plan alternative driving routes. Maybe join AAA for roadside assistance. Once again you have already decided what you want and won't consider other possibilities. Just buy the darned thing if that's the case. Frugality really isn't driving your decisionmaking.

BTW, I also live in AK and bought a 99 Subaru Forester new. Fantastic car year round. I have had literally no trouble with it other than a rear wheel bearing. The car does what I need it to do, I enjoy driving it, so its worth it to me. Yes, I've replaced the head gasket and the timing belt...at about 110,000 miles. I read about the head gasket tendency years ago, so kept track of the oil/coolant levels. When it showed the classic signs, I took it in and didn't wait until catastrophic failure. Turned out the timing belt was fine, but I replaced it anyway while the engine was lying in in pieces at the shop. Also did a couple other things coming due at that mileage. FWIW, about every 4th car around here is a Subaru. The local taxis are all Subarus. Part of it may be because we have an independent Subie shop with a great reputation. One feeds into the other. Access to decent service may play in to which vehicle makes more sense for you.

Cars wear out and need things replaced. Expect this and budget for it. Most models have weak spots. If you find an older vehicle that seems in good condition, find out what they are and verify that the previous owner has already dealt with them. An owner who took good care of the car will have documented these services. I don't mean some entry on Carfax...I mean service receipts. The car in good serviced condition may be the better economical choice than the model alone.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-23-2019 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Again, you have to look at the overall driving situation, NOT a once a year event. That makes no sense. Prepare for that possibility in advance; learn to drive your car defensively in bad weather. Keep emergency gear in it in winter. Use the best tires you can get. Have traction devices handy. Plan alternative driving routes. Maybe join AAA for roadside assistance. Once again you have already decided what you want and won't consider other possibilities. Just buy the darned thing if that's the case. Frugality really isn't driving your decisionmaking.

BTW, I also live in AK and bought a 99 Subaru Forester new. Fantastic car year round. I have had literally no trouble with it other than a rear wheel bearing. The car does what I need it to do, I enjoy driving it, so its worth it to me. Yes, I've replaced the head gasket and the timing belt...at about 110,000 miles. I read about the head gasket tendency years ago, so kept track of the oil/coolant levels. When it showed the classic signs, I took it in and didn't wait until catastrophic failure. Turned out the timing belt was fine, but I replaced it anyway while the engine was lying in in pieces at the shop. Also did a couple other things coming due at that mileage. FWIW, about every 4th car around here is a Subaru. The local taxis are all Subarus. Part of it may be because we have an independent Subie shop with a great reputation. One feeds into the other. Access to decent service may play in to which vehicle makes more sense for you.

Cars wear out and need things replaced. Expect this and budget for it. Most models have weak spots. If you find an older vehicle that seems in good condition, find out what they are and verify that the previous owner has already dealt with them. An owner who took good care of the car will have documented these services. I don't mean some entry on Carfax...I mean service receipts. The car in good serviced condition may be the better economical choice than the model alone.
The fact that you even had to bring the motor in to be taken apart into pieces drives me away from Subaru’s. Yes cars break but that story with Subaru is much more common than it should be. I’d be better off with that 96 Tacoma that gets about the same gas mileage and has a bed for bikes, skis, fishing gear and fish. Not knocking your lifestyle choice. Subaru’s are amazing in the snow and have the best AWD system on the market. I’m just very scared of that. However the Tacoma isn’t the most frugal choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics