Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:33 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times

Advertisements

Because they're not providing bandwidth - they're hooking you up with millions of potential shoppers.

Just like advertisers pay for access to people - you are paying fees in part to EBAY for access the clientele
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
The fees aren't the biggest problem, the new policy of requiring those with under a certain amount of feedback to use paypal, have the funds held until the transaction is complete, the policy against leaving bad feedback for buyers, is going to open up more sellers to being victims of fraud. If you do sell, be certain to exclude buyers with negative or zero ratings (assuming they haven't eliminated that option since I last used them). Ebay seems intent on making people mad lately (these changes, the gun parts policies last year, etc.).

Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Like anything else in this world fees will eek up here and there and continue to.

I sell on Ebay at times and since you are not selling that much they may be an option for you.

If these are items the general public might like you can advertise for free on your areas Craigslist, or put an ad in your newspaper or local throw away paper. I also make up ads on my computer and post them at the post office or where ever you might have a place for free want ads. It sure is a lot easier to sell locally as you do not have to buy packing material, package up items or ship.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briolat21 View Post
Because they're not providing bandwidth - they're hooking you up with millions of potential shoppers.

Just like advertisers pay for access to people - you are paying fees in part to EBAY for access the clientele
True. I never thought of that. They're providing a marketplace.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
I would definitely suggest Craigs list first. It is free - how bad is that?
I sold my SUV, that would not run at all (needed expensive work done) for $500 cash, sight unseen within 30 minutes!!! It was headed to the junk yard so that was the easiest money I ever made.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Like anything else in this world fees will eek up here and there and continue to.

I sell on Ebay at times and since you are not selling that much they may be an option for you.

If these are items the general public might like you can advertise for free on your areas Craigslist, or put an ad in your newspaper or local throw away paper. I also make up ads on my computer and post them at the post office or where ever you might have a place for free want ads. It sure is a lot easier to sell locally as you do not have to buy packing material, package up items or ship.
True, and I did think of this. I think eBay reaches more people (for a chance at a higher selling price and different tastes). Even though you have to pack things up and ship them out, I think it's less legwork and hanging signs up somewhere.

I refuse to use Craigslist. Too many scams and crimes so I don't trust them.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The fees aren't the biggest problem, the new policy of requiring those with under a certain amount of feedback to use paypal, have the funds held until the transaction is complete, the policy against leaving bad feedback for buyers, is going to open up more sellers to being victims of fraud. If you do sell, be certain to exclude buyers with negative or zero ratings (assuming they haven't eliminated that option since I last used them). Ebay seems intent on making people mad lately (these changes, the gun parts policies last year, etc.).
This is what I was hoping to get at. I figured that higher fees weren't the real problem.

I'm not a fan of PayPal. Then you have fees for eBay AND PayPal. I would only have the account for a month and, from what I understand, you have to pay a fee to have the money put into your checking account. I've heard of WAY too many problems with PayPal to feel comfortable using them.

That policy about not leaving negative feedback for buyers.... what's eBay thinking? What could POSSIBLY be their reasoning? There's no common sense in that at all that I can see.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:26 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
This is what I was hoping to get at. I figured that higher fees weren't the real problem.

I'm not a fan of PayPal. Then you have fees for eBay AND PayPal. I would only have the account for a month and, from what I understand, you have to pay a fee to have the money put into your checking account. I've heard of WAY too many problems with PayPal to feel comfortable using them.

That policy about not leaving negative feedback for buyers.... what's eBay thinking? What could POSSIBLY be their reasoning? There's no common sense in that at all that I can see.
thats balogna. i use paypal all the time and have used it since inception(which is what now? a decade?). they do not charge fees to EFT into other bank accounts. as a buyer it presents a paper trail that can be easily tracked by ebay incase of a payment dispute and as a seller its faster and easier to deal with the money electronically. ive NEVER had problems with paypal in the years ive done business through them. they do take a fee for an auction transaction(and a few other transactions), but it is reasonable and the speed, ease, and ability to take credit card payment makes it worth it. if you feel the need, you can add paypal fees into your shipping/handling fees.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
There's a popular scam where a buyer buys something, paying with paypal, then complains to ebay/paypal about either damage or not getting it (damage if there was a tracking number involved), at the minimum freezing the funds for the auction, often the money is refunded to the buyer (paypal more often than not finds in favor of the buyer), and the buyer keeps the item. I know a few people who fell victim to it and I would never accept paypal payments from a buyer, nor do they accept it anymore.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 PM

See, this is the kind of stuff that just bothers me. Dishonest people find a way to ruin absolutely everything. I've been scammed in my life, most recently on Craigslist, so I don't want to accept PayPal. I'll look at eBay tonight, carefully, and see what my options are.

My sales are going to be run straight-up and honest. No bogus fees or "handling" charges. The buyer will only have to pay the exact postage amount and nothing else (except the winning bid price). I'm not charging buyers the fees that I incur from doing business because I hate when businesses do that to me. (Which I know happens daily.)

It's more important to me to operate with honesty and integrity than to make an extra $2-3 on something. I like having a clean conscious and sleeping at night.

Everyone's responses have been really helpful to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics