Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:32 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,108,627 times

Advertisements

I'm moving at the end of the month and have almost a dozen things I'd like to sell. Nothing big or too spendy, but I was wondering if eBay is worth using due to their new structuring? How much more in fees do they collect from your sales? I know it's a hit or miss deal with sales, but, if things sell well, I'm only looking at about $500 in sales.

Are there alternatives to eBay that anyone recommends? If these items sell well, I might decide to continue selling items here and there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 06:50 PM

185 posts, read 967,329 times
I've been using eBay since '98 and I'm a power seller. It's a great way to turn miscellaneous items into quick cash at market price. I agree that their fees could/should be lower, but it's still the best venue I know of for easily moving most any tangible item.

The fees on $500 could range from $20 to $100+ depending on what options you choose. I often start personal items at a penny (that's 35 cents for the listing fee) with no other options, then they take a commission of the final sale price. After PayPal fees it averages out to be 6% in cumulative fees. By far, the largest cost in selling on eBay is the TIME involved to create your listings, answer questions, ship, leave feedback, et cetera. The fees are miniscule in comparison.

Last edited by simcity; 04-09-2008 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I'm moving at the end of the month and have almost a dozen things I'd like to sell. Nothing big or too spendy, but I was wondering if eBay is worth using due to their new structuring? How much more in fees do they collect from your sales? I know it's a hit or miss deal with sales, but, if things sell well, I'm only looking at about $500 in sales.

Are there alternatives to eBay that anyone recommends? If these items sell well, I might decide to continue selling items here and there.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
For the dozen or so items, its not a bad avenue, just be sure you have an idea of postage fees and cover them.

I have pulled all of my listings from Ebay.. wont ever sell there again, but I was selling tens of thousands at a time.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:15 PM

How much do they charge these days for a reserve price? I know I could go there and look it up, but, until I get serious about selling on eBay, asking here is quicker.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:20 PM

Are the "handling fees" people charge bogus or do they cover the cost of the box and packing material?

Also, how can you tell how much something will cost to ship if you don't know where it's going?

When I sell, I want to charge the exact price for shipping and not rip anyone off with added fees. Sorry for the naive questions. This isn't something I plan to do on a regular basis. I would probably just sell these items, maybe a few more, and then stop. How do buyers react to new sellers? After the auction is won, I intend to have everything packaged and shipped within 24 hours.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM

185 posts, read 967,329 times
I never use reserve price unless it's a vehicle being sold, as I don’t like fees. If your goods are only $500 total, just start a penny and use the full allotted space for the title by choosing relavent key words. This will increase your potential traffic.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:32 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,583 times
I'm a current eBay seller. Fees have just been raised to 8.75% at the lowest tier. Here is a link to all the fees (including reserve: $2.00)
eBay.com Fees

You can start at a penny to save fees, but be sure you are prepared to let it go at a penny if nobody bids it up. I recommend starting at the lowest price you think you can handle. I usually start at 9.99. Low enough to get bidders attention, but high enough so you aren't giving it away. Of course it depends on the item.

Shipping charges: eBay supplies a shipping calculator in your listings. When you write up your item, you just need to input the shipping weight and method (First Class, Priority, etc), and whoever wins your item will have their shipping cost calculated for them at checkout depending on their location. Then when they pay for their item, they also pay the correct shipping fees.

About handling fees, some are bogus, some are not. I charge $1.00 over actual postage to cover costs. Some people go way overboard and charge $10-$20 + over actual postage. This is usually done to get out of paying insertion fees, as eBay does not take a cut out of shipping/handling charges. This is an ongoing issue.

About buyers reaction to new sellers: I don't have a problem, everyone has to start somewhere. You can usually tell by the wording of the listing if they are a scam artist or if it is someone like yourself, just trying to get rid of some unneeded household items.

Tips: 1) Take a good clear picture. 2) Describe your item well including size and any flaws. 3) Utilize the free priority mail boxes available at the USPS website USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) where you can also print postage online if you want.

Good luck on your sales!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
just sold a car on ebay myself.. for the 2k i sold it for they took only 140bux after all my fees and auction options were said and done. im happy with that

Old 04-10-2008, 08:22 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
For the dozen or so items, its not a bad avenue, just be sure you have an idea of postage fees and cover them.

I have pulled all of my listings from Ebay.. wont ever sell there again, but I was selling tens of thousands at a time.
You were selling tens of thousands at a time? Just a tad exaggerating?

Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Why did eBay raise their rates? Their fees do seem high when all their really providing is a very small, and temporary, bit of bandwidth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics