Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 07:06 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can also thank the mandatory minimum wage increases and some states its mandatory time and a half on sunday

minimum wage is not a living wage its a starting wage..
and over 70% of minimum wage earners USE to be high school kids for short term jobs ..

now the businesses are closing cutting back on full timers and cutting health insurance ..

some states are 4.00 over the federal minimum wage ...its hurting the small businesses and apparently larger ones too...and lets keep in mind....the brick and mortar stores pays state taxes on every sale....online does not (in every state)

It's getting harder to earn a good living without obtaining a STEM degree, or advanced technical training. Those who are not capable, or aren't willing will find themselves trying to live off a minimum wage job. And let's be honest, there are not enough of those jobs to go around even if everyone had the education.

Last edited by s1alker; 03-06-2019 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 08:34 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
you would make Hitler proud. I'd suggest Venezuela for you, Maduro is a man of the people, well, some of them.
Nice mainstream deflection from you.

The idea that all that oppose your government are on the same side is a great propaganda tactic.

But little do you know that Maduro, a man you say opposes your values, is the same highly authoritarian and structured model your corporations have.

Save yourself, think critically.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wow, that seems excessive, to say the least! Wouldn't a retailer rather have a happy customer spending "only" $300 or so a year than have a ticked-off customer who then spends nothing?
Unless GE or some other financial institution is handling the store-brand credit card and is taking a large hit to carry small customers.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Upscale was originally Nordstrom's target market.

On a personal note, I had their credit card and they dumped me because I didn't spend enough at their store. I'd usually buy a pair or two of Docksiders, some accessories and ties every year. First I got a letter that my purchase profile didn't meet expectations and then was cancelled a few months later.
Well that is just odd.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
When lazya$$ people can sit in their recliners and order everything, who needs brick and mortar stores?

Food to your door instead of walking the aisles, hell, why is the avg American so fat?

The average American is a boomer. We're getting old. You want your frickin Pokemon game? I'm buying it online. You're free to resist if you want.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
With the exception of groceries/perishables/alcohol and some clothing/shoes, there's no reason for me to go into a lot of retail stores.

I bought a TV at Best Buy this week, and had to wrestle it from the car into the house. Bad panel. I had to schlep it back into the car and down to the store yesterday. The same TV could be bought online without all the hassle.

Any kind of electronic, book, or "commodity" type item is easy to ship in. I bought a vacuum online last year. If I find a pair of shoes or pants I like, I can often reorder the same item online for cheaper than I can find it at retail. Specialty stores like Michael's, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc., are just crushed by online retail.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:46 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wow, that seems excessive, to say the least! Wouldn't a retailer rather have a happy customer spending "only" $300 or so a year than have a ticked-off customer who then spends nothing?
You'd think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well that is just odd.
Yes.

The only thing I could think of is that the store is in Annapolis and people there have highly inflated opinions of themselves. One thing Nordstrom's prided itself on, maybe still does, is exceptional customer service. The Annapolis store, in my experience, had the same sub par customer service that most other stores there did. One reason I didn't shop much there.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:09 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,061,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
With the exception of groceries/perishables/alcohol and some clothing/shoes, there's no reason for me to go into a lot of retail stores.

I bought a TV at Best Buy this week, and had to wrestle it from the car into the house. Bad panel. I had to schlep it back into the car and down to the store yesterday. The same TV could be bought online without all the hassle.

Any kind of electronic, book, or "commodity" type item is easy to ship in. I bought a vacuum online last year. If I find a pair of shoes or pants I like, I can often reorder the same item online for cheaper than I can find it at retail. Specialty stores like Michael's, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc., are just crushed by online retail.
Amazon has the Amazon Pantry so you can even shop there for groceries/perishables, lol. And some grocery stores are offering online shopping and same day delivery to compete. But, you're probably like me in that you want to pick out your own stuff and not have some barely caring stockboy/girl picking random stuff and bagging it for delivery....some people are using it though - I see the marked grocery vans by me making stops and delivering.

The only retail stores I really visit now are Home Depot or Lowes for stuff I need right away (if not I can order that too and have it shipped to me) or lumber/plywood. Other than that, it's usually online for me..and not just Amazon - Walmart, Target and some others have upped their game to remain in competition and have the free/ 2 day shipping thing. 95% of my Xmas shopping was done from my computer at home in my pajamas, sipping a hot beverage and wearing fuzzy slippers ...can't do that at a store...well..maybe Walmart, but....LOL

Old 03-06-2019, 03:19 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well that is just odd.
Macy's cancelled my card because I didn't use it for a year.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Macy's cancelled my card because I didn't use it for a year.
Interesting. I currently have 4 credit cards that I have not used in a year or more, and they just keep raising the limit. None are department stores, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics