Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 05:03 AM

346 posts, read 237,761 times

Advertisements

For the record, I posted a topic in the Work forum so you can read that if you want. But to basically sum it up, I am 33 and have a physical disability and get SSI. I have never had a job and although I do live in my own apartment, all my SSI goes to my apartments rent, my dad who is 66 pays all my other bills and gives me extra money for other things I need.

I live in Oklahoma and have been told to contact various organizations for help, and I have but they've been of no help at all, may as well just tell me I'm screwed. Just not sure what to do long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 07:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
what do you think would be the best thing for me to do?
Stop looking for any sort of 'best' answer or any singular solution at all.

Quote:
I am 33 and have a physical disability and get SSI.
I have never had a job
I do live in my own apartment, all my SSI goes to my apartments rent...
a) reduce housing costs (with housemate most likely)
b) increase income (sort out some source of additional income)

Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
For the record, I posted a topic in the Work forum so you can read that if you want. But to basically sum it up, I am 33 and have a physical disability and get SSI. I have never had a job and although I do live in my own apartment, all my SSI goes to my apartments rent, my dad who is 66 pays all my other bills and gives me extra money for other things I need.

I live in Oklahoma and have been told to contact various organizations for help, and I have but they've been of no help at all, may as well just tell me I'm screwed. Just not sure what to do long-term.
Sometimes hospital resources like case managers, social workers and discharge planners can be of help. I would call your hospital and start picking those brains.

Something like a local non-profit that takes in folks with disabilities may be a good choice for you. Of course you might have to give up your apt. if you can save by living on site. If they offer that of course. They also may provide training or other work related opportunities for you.

I assume you live in a low cost of living area? That makes a big difference for those on fixed incomes.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:32 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
I think we would need to know the very nitty gritty details of your life situation before we could give good advice.

And there probably are no easy answers even if we did have that info.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:34 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Azureth,
Is there a reason you are not also collecting SS Disability (SSDI) benefits ? If disability occurred before age 22, benefits may be available as the disabled adult child of a worker who paid SS payroll deductions. Was father's work maybe not covered by SS, as a teacher, etc ?

Read the details here: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10026.pdf "Benefits For Children With Disabilities"

Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 PM

264 posts, read 200,398 times
So what is the disability ? You can type I assume ? What do you do all day long ?

Well past time to get something going....dad ain't gonna be around forever.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 623,749 times
More info on the OP in this thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post51446234

Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM

495 posts, read 327,799 times
There are (gov't subsidized) apartments that charge rent based upon income. Usually there are a lot of seniors, but also disabled younger people can quality. (My mother pays about $200/month rent for one of these.) There may be long waiting lists and it may mean you have to move to another city, but I don't see that you have much choice.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Why can't you work from home? I know multiple people that do customer service for the airline industry from home. Why must your dad and the government pay a 100% of your life?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:13 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Azureth,
Ive read both this post and your other one.

First and foremost call 2-1-1 and ask for help with housing, food banks, and any employment agencies ( called sheltered workshops) that can help. There HAS to be agencies in your area to help. Those 3 digits can open a whole new world for you. If you are in small town Podunk OK, you may HAVE to move to a bigger city to get services. Rural areas dont have the help centers that larger Cities do.

You can get medicaid paid help for family and friends to assist you. Your father can get paid to help you. Call 211 and ask about such programs. At least we have it here in a medium sized city here in NY. Shpuld be something similar in your state. He can then donate to your cause without touching his principal.

Two Catholic charities is a great organization to get help with food. They have food banks. They also can do a one off rent payment for you if you prove your income won't pay your rent and pay bills. Its only a one time thing, but it can give you your SSI to save for that month. Find out which churches have ",soup kitchens" on which nghts in your area. Go out to those churches fir a hot meal, no questions asked, for free. Wen i was in welfare awaiting my SSDI, i used to know which churches in my area had meals which nights and go there. I walked. You say you can do that, do that.

Third contact your counties Vocational Rehabilitation Program for for disabled people for help in getting training for jobs you can do. I dont know much about you disease, but if you can walk to the store, i have a hard time understanding why you "cant shampoo yourself" or only have the use of a single partial arm. Perhaps therapies such as physical or occupational therapy might help with range and motion exercises. Ill have to look up ypur disease.

Fourth there are phone jobs from home if you can talk susinctly to strangers. But most require you to be able to type, and type fast while conversing with the customer.

Fifth the sheltered workshop is a place that often has "make work" minimum wage jobs such as counting and putring a few bags of frito lay items into a big box as it goes by. My OH ( other half, meaning spouse) works with special needs people who work AND collect SSI. Most all of them work in some capacity.

I myself am disabled with a host of things and get around with a cane. I collect SSDI and am allowed to be a " working pwrson with disabilities ", i work 3rd shift at a hotel doing night audit. Push a few computer buttons, and answer a few cues and voila the computer spits out the night audit. You could possibly learn that if you have good computer skills and people skills.

If you are too rural for these services, your family may have to chip in and help move you to a more popular area. Both physically and financially help you out. You can also find out about rent assistance BEFORE you move, so you move directly into a rent Assistant apartment wjen you do move....get one lined up in advance, especially if its within your county.

There IS help you just have to find the right agency to help connect you with the right agencies. Start with 211

As for finding a gf and getting married, that has to be on the back burner for now. You have too much on your plate already. You might find a support group for disabled people at the local hospital. Join it and maybe youll meet a nice disabled girl, just be sure you dont double your agony taking on a wife. Your desire to buy a house is admirable but highly unlikely...even on ssi and a kinimum wage job. People who make $40k/ yr ofyen cant afford a house. You need a stabilization rent in a stabilization apartment house, particularly one for disabled people.

Lastly, you say you are depressed. Seek a psychiatrist to help. Medication may be needed. I am bipolar so i swing between mania and deep depression. Medication and mental health therapy helps me to function no matter what state im in. There they may also know of agencies to help you tgat you might not have considered.

Best if luck to you sorting out the details.

Last edited by galaxyhi; 04-29-2019 at 02:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics