Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 02:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Yes, housing is expensive. You can thank your local, state, and federal government elected representatives, bureaucrats, and mandarins for that...
Nonsense. Housing is 100% market driven and if builders were allowed to cover the hillsides with shoddy cottages, they'd sell for just as much in any given market.

So sorry to hear that yet more SoCal megamansions might accrue 10% extra cost for compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Much of the Florida building code is driven by the vaguely free market property insurance industry- no private company would write policies down here without windstorm code requirements.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Much of the Florida building code is driven by the vaguely free market property insurance industry- no private company would write policies down here without windstorm code requirements.
"If your primary domicile ends up in Georgia, enjoy life in your new state."

Old 05-07-2019, 10:04 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,644 times
To prove my point even further, that the economy is doing well.....

1 million more job openings than unemployed workers!!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-u-s...loyed-workers/

Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I'm very perplexed as to why I STILL hear all these people say the economy is still bad, just like they said not long after 2008 all the way to 2014.

Why?

-Unemployment is at a nearly 5 decade low.

-3% GDP growth +/-

-All time low African American and Hispanic unemployment rate.

-Consumer confidence at an all time high

-Stock market at an all time high

-Wager keeping up with inflation

-Biggest wage gains among low-income people.

And on and on, and on...............

So WHY do I keep hearing people say its a struggle in "this" economy?

In my particular industry, there is a worker SHORTAGE and companies are betting for qualified applicants. Just recently, I was given a job offer literally 2 minutes after finishing the interview. This is just one of many examples.

So what gives? Why do I keep hearing so many people give the impression the economy is still bad like it was 2008-2014?
There are winners and losers in each economy cycle. But who do you hear from usually? The losers, not the winners, doesn't matter what the statistics say, it's driven by personal perception. The reasons range from:
Bad life choices
Personal misfortune
Political rhetoric
...and, some people simply just like to complain

Old 05-08-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There are winners and losers in each economy cycle. But who do you hear from usually? The losers, not the winners, doesn't matter what the statistics say, it's driven by personal perception. The reasons range from:
Bad life choices
Personal misfortune
Political rhetoric
...and, some people simply just like to complain
And people wonder why I'm becoming more and more attached to the term Economic Calvinism.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
And people wonder why I'm becoming more and more attached to the term Economic Calvinism.
Not familiar with the term "economic calvinism", but calvinism as a religious and social principle was used and misused, just like all religions. Used as a principle for modern democracies, misused to justify apartheid.

Any economic principle using religion as a guide I tend to mistrust. But what do i know, I'm catholic.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not familiar with the term "economic calvinism"...
That's because I coined it a couple of weeks ago, based on discussion here and my more serious writing efforts elsewhere. You may quote me.

Quote:
...but calvinism as a religious and social principle was used and misused, just like all religions. Used as a principle for modern democracies, misused to justify apartheid.

Any economic principle using religion as a guide I tend to mistrust. But what do i know, I'm catholic.
A vast number of belief systems based largely on prejudice and ignorance come to resemble religious dogma. One of them is the strong streak, here as elsewhere, that people are divided into the Elect and the Non-Elect on a socioeconomic basis.

The Elect are successful because they're smart, savvy, self-reliant and never took nothin' from nobody. All those others are just lazy, probably stupid losers looking for a handout.

I'd say Economic Calvinism is a pretty tight fit.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:46 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
This is a common refrain of society’s losers too. I’ve noticed this repeatedly. I got at least 16 downvotes on Reddit (I probably got more after that lol) because someone said, “I’d never consider having a kid in this economy, it’s hard enough just finding a job for me and the economic outlook is bleak now.” I was dumbfounded, so I asked, “I’m sorry, could you explain? The nation just hit a 49-year-low in unemployment and the GDP was a fantastic number, the economy is having an unprecedented bull market run, what exactly are you referring to?” That question was downvoted by the basement dwelling losers of Reddit. You couldn’t find a more pathetic group of people on the Internet overall lol

Old 05-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You couldn’t find a more pathetic group of people on the Internet overall lol
Yet there you are, wasting all your superiority hanging out with them. Except when you drop in here to spew infantile economic darwinism based on massive ignorance of how economic systems actually work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics