U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 11:36 AM

8,717 posts, read 4,077,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I would never propose to lower the middle class bar!
Of course not. The stormtroopers might come take away your Keurig.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 11:53 AM

11,286 posts, read 4,802,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I'm not middle class!

Old 05-13-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not middle class!
But we're all middle class.

The curve needs adjustment up there, too.

Save the replies, I have the whole shpiel down in notes.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM

6,994 posts, read 2,076,354 times
Quote:
It's time to flatten the curve... lowering the bar on "middle class" excesses.
For example? If you could convince our mandarins, regulators, legislators and bureaucrats to do one or two or a few things, what would they be?

Old 05-15-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
The world would be a better place without Keurigs.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
For example? If you could convince our mandarins, regulators, legislators and bureaucrats to do one or two or a few things, what would they be?
I don't believe any of it can be done through legislation. Legislation is most effective and durable when it codifies practice, not when it tries to redefine it.

Quote:
I'm not sure about that. Can you imagine millions of people who are too inept to use a real coffee maker and haven't had their caffeine shot for the day?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Not mine. Why do you say this?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I dunno why he said it, but IMVHO they're the poster child for stupid consumer waste, right up there with Swiffers.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Keurigs make awful coffee. About the only thing Keurig coffee is good for is taking permanent marker marks off a Dry-Erase Whiteboard. And maybe washing engine parts. Not to mention wasteful plastic containers of crap.

Think of it this way: the quality of coffee beans (technically they are seeds, not beans) falls on a bell curve like so many other things.

The very best - the top 3-5% - ends up being purchased by specialty coffee roasters who can roast it & sell it for a price premium -- e.g.:
This single origin, fair trade micro lot Rwanda Nyamasheke Gitwe is a wet-processed coffee produced from Bourbon cultivars. Tasting notes include: The dry grounds have a scent of raw sugars like muscovado and demurara, and the wet aromatics smell like burned caramel. Full City roasts are centered around more bittersweet roast tones, hinting at cocoa powder and dark chocolate bar. The brewed coffee shows caramelizing sugar flavors from hot to cool, similar to torched sugar on deserts. It's a sweet cup, and notes of toasted almond and toffee nut offer a nice counterpoint to this straight-forward sweetness. A dried apple note comes up as the coffee cools, and the acidity goes from malic apple juice to the briskness of black tea. Sticking to the City+ - Full City range, this is best as a brewed coffee rather than as an espresso. Sweet, clean, balanced - the makings of a great daily drinker!

There isn't enough tonnage at the 3% and above to supply commercial roasters.

The coffee at about 1 standard deviation above the median and up is usually bid up and goes to premium commercial roasters such as Starbucks ("Charbucks"), Peet's and the like.

The coffee around median (+/- one standard deviation) is non-premium commercial roasters such as Yuban, Folgers, etc. And Keurig.

Dropping below 1 standard deviation below the median gets you the stuff of coffee services that supply coffee to truck stops on the lonely interstate, automobile service waiting lounges, nondescript office buildings, and the like. And Keurig.

The truly awful stuff at - 2 standard deviations is flavored. Absent the flavoring, it isn't drinkable. In the old days it was turned in to mulch. Nowadays, it is the root of the Hazelnut, French Vanilla, and other flavored coffees. And Keurig.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; 05-15-2019 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Keurigs make awful coffee. About the only thing Keurig coffee is good for is taking permanent marker marks off a Dry-Erase Whiteboard. And maybe washing engine parts. Not to mention wasteful plastic containers of crap.

Think of it this way: the quality of coffee beans (technically they are seeds, not beans) falls on a bell curve like so many other things.

The very best - the top 3-5% - ends up being purchased by specialty coffee roasters who can roast it & sell it for a price premium -- e.g.:
This single origin, fair trade micro lot Rwanda Nyamasheke Gitwe is a wet-processed coffee produced from Bourbon cultivars. Tasting notes include: The dry grounds have a scent of raw sugars like muscovado and demurara, and the wet aromatics smell like burned caramel. Full City roasts are centered around more bittersweet roast tones, hinting at cocoa powder and dark chocolate bar. The brewed coffee shows caramelizing sugar flavors from hot to cool, similar to torched sugar on deserts. It's a sweet cup, and notes of toasted almond and toffee nut offer a nice counterpoint to this straight-forward sweetness. A dried apple note comes up as the coffee cools, and the acidity goes from malic apple juice to the briskness of black tea. Sticking to the City+ - Full City range, this is best as a brewed coffee rather than as an espresso. Sweet, clean, balanced - the makings of a great daily drinker!

There isn't enough tonnage at the 3% and above to supply commercial roasters.

The coffee at about 1 standard deviation above the median and up is usually bid up and goes to premium commercial roasters such as Starbucks ("Charbucks"), Peet's and the like.

The coffee around median (+/- one standard deviation) is non-premium commercial roasters such as Yuban, Folgers, etc. And Keurig.

Dropping below 1 standard deviation below the median gets you the stuff of coffee services that supply coffee to truck stops on the lonely interstate, automobile service waiting lounges, nondescript office buildings, and the like. And Keurig.

The truly awful stuff at - 2 standard deviations is flavored. Absent the flavoring, it isn't drinkable. In the old days it was turned in to mulch. Nowadays, it is the root of the Hazelnut, French Vanilla, and other flavored coffees. And Keurig.
Wow, you are really into it!

I do Keurig for convenience, taste and consistency of product. I need a certain dose of caffeine, and their French Roast meets my standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or