U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 09:24 PM

11,286 posts, read 4,802,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No. Certainly not the personal satisfaction. I'd argue the utility, but not to the point of saying the things are useless in all respects. I think the one place they're appropriate is company break rooms, for example.

But in the end, it's a lot of expense and waste for fairly second-rate brew. I think there are better (home/individual) choices no matter what your aim is.
Well, for one cup a day, the time element and lack of fuss IMO can't be beat! The expense is less than meager for me.

I've tried many different coffees, brands and types, and in many places in the world for the better part of my 68 years. This is one of the best tasting coffees I've ever had. Now I do add raw sugar and French Vanilla Creamer. But this all my best choice!

lol we're really getting off track here!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 PM

10,281 posts, read 10,588,039 times
Quote:
No. Certainly not the personal satisfaction. I'd argue the utility, but not to the point of saying the things are useless in all respects. I think the one place they're appropriate is company break rooms, for example.

But in the end, it's a lot of expense and waste for fairly second-rate brew. I think there are better (home/individual) choices no matter what your aim is.
I know it's narrow but I agree with you so rarely........so far as coffee goes Keurig and Nespresso drinking are categorically lame.

FWIIW I'm a full on coffee nut.

1). Both are shockingly expensive nominally in the longer term and neither produces better than marginal brew. Nespresso's downrange costs border on sickening.

2). RationalExpectations broached this. Buy a $2.99 plastic pour-over device, buy a pack of Melitta brown paper filters ~$6, boil some water (pour it at about 195F), grab a smartphone for a timer, set it all on a cheap gram scale ~$10, and make countdown pour over coffee better than anything most people have ever had anywhere. To make it literally world class mix in good fresh whole bean coffee and grind it with something like a Capresso conical burr grinder for ~$99. No more over-extracted, flavorless, half-dead coffee.

2.1) I'm into Japanese style coffee - very strong pour over hot brew flash chilled and enjoyed with ice.

3. I did the calculations once for my family. It's less expensive/better for us to buy a great espresso maker and grinder once every six or seven years (I have a 40 year old La Pavoni Lever machine, a newish LaSpaziale S1 Dream and an ECM grinder). Relative to Nespresso we drink vastly better coffee and save money although with a fairly serious upfront equipment spend - if I want a legit ristretto, lungo, Americano or custom pour I walk to the machine and make it.

More to your point, or at least what I believe your point to be. Good stuff beats crap and sometimes really cheap is way better than crap - the pour over option.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:23 AM

6,988 posts, read 2,076,354 times
I roast my own beans. I typically roast two batches at 225 grams each, and typically get very high quality beans only available to enthusiasts willing to pay a price premium or to specialty coffee roasters.

It costs me about $6.50 for a pound of unroasted coffee beans. Roasting drives off moisture and chaff, so a pound of unroasted ("green") coffee yields about 12 oz of roasted coffee... or about $8.67 per pound.

Way back in our great, great grandparents day, there were no commercial coffee roasters. Great, great grandma typically bought unroasted coffee along with other things at a dry goods store, took it home, and roasted it on a skillet in the oven.

And great, great grandma and great, great, grandpa consumed better tasting coffee than most people do today.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I roast my own beans. I typically roast two batches at 225 grams each, and typically get very high quality beans only available to enthusiasts willing to pay a price premium or to specialty coffee roasters.

It costs me about $6.50 for a pound of unroasted coffee beans. Roasting drives off moisture and chaff, so a pound of unroasted ("green") coffee yields about 12 oz of roasted coffee... or about $8.67 per pound.

Way back in our great, great grandparents day, there were no commercial coffee roasters. Great, great grandma typically bought unroasted coffee along with other things at a dry goods store, took it home, and roasted it on a skillet in the oven.

And great, great grandma and great, great, grandpa consumed better tasting coffee than most people do today.
For the most part I've stayed away from roasting - two really fantastic coffee roasters are really close - one I drive by at least 3x per week. These places are able to source excellent coffee and the roast to order (with some strings attached obviously). The big one for me vis a vis espresso is all these coffees have a certain roast on date.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:53 AM

8,717 posts, read 4,077,880 times
Okay, stop... too many of you are agreeing with me, even if it's on the holy subject of coffee.

I have been much more particular in times past, but right now I make do with a middling good shelf brand of beans, my own 50/50 caffeinated blend, and my treasured Techniworm, which I expect will outlive me. (Over ten years and other than routine descaling, has needed nothing to turn out fast, perfect pots every time.)

When I get fussy again I might go find a supplier for some good Africans - Peaberry, Kenya AA. For now, I turn to the french press on cold Sunday mornings.

But we were at full war over the economy here, remember?

Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 AM

Just a data point, here... US birthrate has fallen for the fourth year in a row, to the lowest level in 32 years.

Those with heads stuffed full of econ larnin' and with the textbooks spread open before them, waiting to copy whole pages into the dialogue here, are welcome to explain how the strong correlation between economic outlook and birthrate somehow does not apply here.

As a nation, we all think something is wrong, despite the glowing boom-boom numbers. Call it crowd-sourced prognostication... and such things have shown strong predictive value, whether the precision-number crowd likes it or not.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Just a data point, here... US birthrate has fallen for the fourth year in a row, to the lowest level in 32 years.

Those with heads stuffed full of econ larnin' and with the textbooks spread open before them, waiting to copy whole pages into the dialogue here, are welcome to explain how the strong correlation between economic outlook and birthrate somehow does not apply here.

As a nation, we all think something is wrong, despite the glowing boom-boom numbers. Call it crowd-sourced prognostication... and such things have shown strong predictive value, whether the precision-number crowd likes it or not.
The declining birthrate thing seems to be a near universal first world problem.
I'm not sure what the order is but women go to work - the more they work the few kids they have, they go to school, the more education they have the fewer kids they have, the get rich, the richer.......etc. It may well be that the entire first world ends up like Japan, Singapore and Spain in this context.

The list of countries with fertility rates below par includes pretty much every first world country and a few others.

The ~60 countries with the highest birth rates are a near perfect suite of economic and humanitarian hellholes.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The ~60 countries with the highest birth rates are a near perfect suite of economic and humanitarian hellholes.
Which has nothing much to do with the eminently provable fact that birthrate and economic health have been pretty closely tied together in the US since... well, ever.

Saying it's part of a global trend is at best a nebulous misdirection - are we following some kind of mega-trend, or is lower birthrate in the industrialized nations a mega-harbinger of economic woe?

Old 05-17-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Which has nothing much to do with the eminently provable fact that birthrate and economic health have been pretty closely tied together in the US since... well, ever.

Saying it's part of a global trend is at best a nebulous misdirection - are we following some kind of mega-trend, or is lower birthrate in the industrialized nations a mega-harbinger of economic woe?
How is posting a couple widely accepted facts off topic or some kind of misdirection?

Old 05-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
How is posting a couple widely accepted facts off topic or some kind of misdirection?
The quagga became extinct in the late 19th century, along with the dodo.

Hey, you're right! Random facts aren't in the least off-topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or