Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:35 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The quagga became extinct in the late 19th century, along with the dodo.

Hey, you're right! Random facts aren't in the least off-topic.
You must be literally miserable to be around.

I added context not random data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
The quagga became extinct in the late 19th century, along with the dodo.

Hey, you're right! Random facts aren't in the least off-topic.
Honestly, I feel a little sorry for you.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I added context not random data.
Ignoring your other blithering ****, no you didn't.

You threw out random and fairly racist nonsense about birth rates, which only barely intersected with the actual point at hand (national birthrate as a harbinger of economic trends). Which is pretty much how you answer most questions - with random unrelated 'facts' and then pompous butthurt because you're so misunderstood.

Bye.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Ignoring your other blithering ****, no you didn't.

You threw out random and fairly racist nonsense about birth rates, which only barely intersected with the actual point at hand (national birthrate as a harbinger of economic trends). Which is pretty much how you answer most questions - with random unrelated 'facts' and then pompous butthurt because you're so misunderstood.

Bye.
If you weren't so very stubborn and myopic you might see that various national birth rates are tied to economic trends in other countries too. That was my entire reason for the above post.

Everything I posted above is A). accurate B). not racist. It's quite telling that you'd throw that out there.

What's really going on via a combination of exceptionally hateful responses and bluster you have become fairly good at masking the fact that you don't know much at all about economics. You are a left wing political being - who after regular doses of EPI, Daily Kos, Daily Worker, Paul Krugman (speaking of miserable people) or whatever your sources - loves to throw out factoids that your believe make the US/US economic climate/capitalism look bad.

I have the advantage of once being very left wing myself. Shaking off the left wing anger is step one to better life.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:07 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,237,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Even when better quality coffee finds its way into a Keurig, the technology of the Keurig isn't good for actually brewing coffee. Brewing coffee is chemical engineering, where you use a solvent (clean, good tasting water with the correct mineral TDS) and a solute (ground coffee) to make a solution (the cup of coffee you drink). There are something like 200+ identified chemicals components in the cup of coffee you drink, and the proportions of each are a function of the the correct water temperature (and mineral TDS), how finely ground the coffee beans are (a finer grind exposes more surface area and hence affects the resulting solution), how long the solvent is in contact with the solute (for brewed coffee, about 4 minutes seems ideal), turbulence/agitation (which accelerates dissolving the solute just as stirring a glass of water with a tablespoon of salt results in a faster totally dissolved result), etc, and altitude (air pressure). At 7500 feet elevation, you need to use a different coffee brewing process than at sea level. Differing beans require a different grind level and water temperature and duration of exposure to produce good coffee in the cup.

Keruig's system is designed for something other than a good cup of coffee. It is designed for convenience, and the price its customers pay is that convenience results in a brown liquid solution that bears little resemblance to something that would be generated at the World Barista Championships.

(I'm ignoring the other stuff, such as the different flavor profile you'll taste based on how quickly the roastmaster increased the temperature of the roast before & after 1st crack, and the difference in taste you can generate when using either conical or flat burrs in the grinder, or steel vs. ceramic burrs, etc).
I would add - something that bothers me about Keurig is the waste. Coffee grounds and paper filters made out of recycled material pulp are the ultimate "green" compostable waste product, and Keurig pods not only nullify that, but make a very environmentally unfriendly waste-product.

Some more expensive K-pods have a somewhat less wasteful design, but still more non-compostable waste than grounds & paper. My wife loves the damn thing, similarly to Hoonose because of the convenience. I don't use it & if I can beat her early enough to make breakfast, we don't use it.

I have a Chemex and a percolator. Ironically enough I feel that the percolator makes the best coffee, even though I know intellectually that the Chemex is better.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-19-2019 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I would add - something that bothers me about Keurig is the waste. Coffee grounds and paper filters made out of recycled material pulp are the ultimate "green" compostable waste product, and Keurig pods not only nullify that, but make a very environmentally unfriendly waste-product.

Some more expensive K-pods have a somewhat less wasteful design, but still more non-compostable waste than grounds & paper. My wife loves the damn thing, similarly to Hoonose because of the convenience. I don't use it & if I can beat her early enough to make breakfast, we don't use it.

I have a Chemex and a percolator. Ironically enough I feel that the percolator makes the best coffee, even though I know intellectually that the Chemex is better.
1. I agree fully regarding coffee, paper filters and composting. I don't claim to be a significant gardner but every year we manage to grow bunches of different hot peppers, herbs and most years a few tomatoes. Stealing an idea from Texas A&M about compost + expanded shale + Ph controlled soil = near magical results.

2. My wife broke my ancient Chemex and I need to replace it. Chemex and perc. coffees just taste different (I mean beans from the same bag ground properly per process and properly brewed taste way different between the two....Chemex + paper will be very clean and soft with zero fines - perc. will be deeper and maybe a tad more robust with at least some amount of fines) if you prefer perc. go with it. I like the sounds from percs. too.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Because when you were a teenager a lot of services were done without pay, therefore not recorded in GNP. Perhaps your mother made dinner. If you had younger siblings you may have watched them as one of your chores.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Because when you were a teenager a lot of services were done without pay, therefore not recorded in GNP. Perhaps your mother made dinner. If you had younger siblings you may have watched them as one of your chores.
That's a pretty good observation, although I think it's arguable six different ways. What it points up is the rise of hypercapitalism - the trend that absolutely everything becomes monetized. It's only in recent years that we think no one should do anything without profiting from it.

That kind of thinking used to be assigned only to disreputable classes and racist assumptions.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
That's a pretty good observation, although I think it's arguable six different ways. What it points up is the rise of hypercapitalism - the trend that absolutely everything becomes monetized. It's only in recent years that we think no one should do anything without profiting from it.

That kind of thinking used to be assigned only to disreputable classes and racist assumptions.
And possibly even larger unmeasurables with all the positives of more advanced medical technologies. More lives saved, more quality days of life, more happiness and security of patients and families. Much of which is not easily quantifiable in USD terms.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Mom making dinner is still not figured into GDP or GNP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics