Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:59 AM

550 posts, read 365,273 times

Advertisements

From years of Lyft and Uber trips experiences, places with bad parking, trips to airport, etc. Everyone's mileage and circumstances is different. Some people give no tip. Others give tips, but will weigh the factors below differently, you yourself prefer not to talk during trips and weigh the driver communication less and driver navigation, safety, and car comfort and cleanliness more. As considering below, not implemented yet, appreciate your feedback as a Uber or Lyft rider or driver to fine tune below.

Standard 20% tip, 20 pts, MADE UP OF:

10 pts - Driver communication, talkative or not 50% of tip, MADE UP OF:
* 1-2 pts - Driver greets you and ask you how you are doing upon entering car
1 pt - OR Driver responds confirming your name upon entering car
* 3 pts - During trip, driver initiates conversation AND
* 5 pts - Driver responds in conversation, when you initiate conversation
0-2 pts - OR Driver barely responds when you initiate conversation or otherwise is rude
I understand if driver speaking English is a barrier, some use this job to learn English, but not if sense if driver is rude during trip i.e driver understands word tip at end of ride and speaks perfect English then, but not respond to anything else you said during trip.
plus up to 5 pts - Drives talks with extra care or concern during trip
minus 2 pts - Driver plays loud music or otherwise not want to talk to block conversation
minus 3 pts - Driver talks or texting on cell phone during trip, unless ask you and stopped in traffic or emergency situation
minus 1-2 pts - Driver asking for tip through seat sign or in conversation, unless learn truly in need
plus 3+ pts - Driver offers additional help with packages, luggage, elderly or disabled person with you
plus 1-2 pts - Driver holds open car door (1 pt for each way)

5 pts - Car Clean and Comfortable 25% of tip, MADE UP OF:
* 3 pts - If car is comfortable, driver not asks (standard)
plus 1 pt - If driver asks if car temperature is comfortable
minus 1-2 pts - If no AC on warmer or hot day
plus 1 pt - If driver offers water to drink or mints
* 2 pts - Car is clean (standard)
0-1 pts - Car is not clean
plus 1 pt - Car is immaculate, super clean

5 pts - Driver Navigation and Safety 25% of tip, MADE UP OF:
* 2 pts - Driver arrives at pick up point without issue, using any helpful text message you send upon requesting ride if needed as sometimes GPS is not perfect
0-1 pts - Driver is lost prior to pick up requiring you to call him/her to give directions
minus 1-2 pts - If ride almost canceled, assessed wait fee, due to driver getting lost prior to pick up
plus 2 pts - Driver goes out of the way on own to find you at confusing pick up point, building with multiple entrances
* 2 pts - Driver takes GPS route during trip
0-1 pts - Driver for no reason, unless explain, takes route other than on GPS
minus up to 5 pts - Driver takes poor route other than on GPS causing you to be late for business or medical appointment, miss flight or train, job interview, etc.
plus 2 pts - Driver asks if ok to take alternate route if bad traffic situation
plus 1-3 pts - Drive handles your quick stop/errand less than 5 minutes along trip without complaint
* 1 pt - Driver arrives at drop off point with no or minimal help
0 pts - Driver requires more than minimal assistance getting to pick up point
minus 1-3 pts - If additional fare due to driver getting lost during trip or drop off
minus 1 pt - Driver runs more than one red light (minus 1 pt per light)

minus 5 pts - Need to taking your time to contact Uber or Lyft support expecting response about bad situation from ride after end of ride
minus 2 pts - Comments taking your time about bad ride or driver to Uber or Lyft, just feedback, not requiring a response

Final tip, 1 point = 1%, based on fare before any promo applied. Tip may be reduced if driver earning extra income during Lyft or Uber major price surge due to temporary shortage of drivers, if driver not wasting gas or shoveling out car in snow prior to pick up, etc.
Uber - add points/grand total percentages above = dollar and cents tip, believe you can give as little as a $0.01 tip on a Uber ride, I one time did $0.25
Lyft - add points/grand total percentages above = round to nearest dollar or suggested tip amount in app
If Lyft total tip percentage less than $0.50, then no tip
This gets over-ridden if passenger with you paying for (reimbursing you) trip and gives you an amount to tip the driver
OR had driver before and he/she was good
OR extenuating circumstances.

Driver Ratings - points/percentage, you have rate driver after end of each ride
23 pts or higher - 6 or 7 stars
15 to 22 pts - 5 stars
11 to 14 pts - 4 stars
7 to 10 pts - 3 stars (at 3 stars or below, Lyft does not pair you with same driver again)
3 to 6 pts - 2 stars
below 2 points or trip disaster, accident, safety threatened, 1 star

Last edited by sprklcl; 05-05-2019 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 07:11 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Well first off...20% is not a "standard tip". I will tip 20% ONLY for really great service. Satisfactory service gets you 15%.
In my world, 15% has been the standard for many many years...as long as I have been tipping. No reason for that to change.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:18 AM

Never used the Uber Taxi, either UberX or the standard everyday Lyft service most times, but according to this article https://ride.guru/content/newsroom/what-is-uber-taxi , that service's gratuity or tip is 20%. I agree with restaurants and other services, I start with 15% and 20% for great service. Someone driving you takes an extra amount of responsibility including safety and dealing with traffic, which is pretty bad where I live a good amount of the time (20-25 miles west of Washington, DC near Dulles airport), so I start with 20% and adjust upward or downward from there. Also, have to adjust tip depending on your own your individual situation. One Lyft or Uber driver shared with me, he had a rider at a low wage job having to use Uber/Lyft to go 2-3 miles to work because the suburban public transit is so poor, so that rider gave little or if any tip.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Fine tune all that? Geez, I tip what I want purely on how I feel at the moment. Somehow that works without having a 6 page tip guide

Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Never used the Uber Taxi, either UberX or the standard everyday Lyft service most times, but according to this article https://ride.guru/content/newsroom/what-is-uber-taxi , that service's gratuity or tip is 20%. I agree with restaurants and other services, I start with 15% and 20% for great service. Someone driving you takes an extra amount of responsibility including safety and dealing with traffic, which is pretty bad where I live a good amount of the time (20-25 miles west of Washington, DC near Dulles airport), so I start with 20% and adjust upward or downward from there. Also, have to adjust tip depending on your own your individual situation. One Lyft or Uber driver shared with me, he had a rider at a low wage job having to use Uber/Lyft to go 2-3 miles to work because the suburban public transit is so poor, so that rider gave little or if any tip.
I have used both. I tipped 15%.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Fine tune all that? Geez, I tip what I want purely on how I feel at the moment. Somehow that works without having a 6 page tip guide
Exactly.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Tip if you want, don't if you don't.

Much simpler.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:42 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Uber usually gives three one click options for tip that vary depending on total charge, along with ability to enter custom amount. The much more concise lieqiang tipping guide:

If the trip was fine and you liked the driver = pick the middle amount
Otherwise = no tip

Old 05-05-2019, 01:56 PM

99% of time I give the driver a tip, which I let the driver know upon exiting the vehicle I'll do soon, even if (not share with them verbally) it is a minimal tip. Some Uber and Lyft drivers will rate you down if you do not give them a tip. Check the forum https://www.uberpeople.net for postings of that.

Only I time I did not give the driver a tip and really low stared him, with a safety issue involved (minor child in car driver tried to hide under blanket after dark), no accident fortunately, and got to destination safely (after investigating, Lyft issued me a $15 credit on the $40 trip). Other than the one $0.25 tip above, Uber driver's GPS so messed up in pick up got assessed a wait fee which Uber reversed due to the circumstances, and then I added another small amount to the tip. Otherwise, I have given drivers a minimum $1 tip even on a $20 fare, most often better depending on total fare and whether better or above service, just so they do not rate me down as a rider. However, with driver pressure to increase their salaries and likely paying more as a passenger with Uber and Lyft's public stock offerings recently (that's a political controversy in news come May 8, but outside the scope of this subforum), going forward with plan in original posting and hoping it will help some others how to appropriately tip their Uber or Lyft drivers depending on the trip. Better than 90-95% of the drivers have no or minor issue with, so they are hardly negatively affected in tips.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:14 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
What does rate you down mean? I sometimes tip in cash, but I rarely give any ratings, always able to get a ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics