Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,340,787 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of people trying to rationalizes the irrational or consider this yet another in a long string of blow hard moves that is more about political posturing than actual threat or information. Personally I don't think they are correct and I expect that now that he is back into a corner, Trump will lash out with Tariffs.

The Chinese have two options.

Give up what has been working for them to appease a foreign nation (their hybrid communist / capitalist system)

or

Wait it out a year and a half or so.

Given their stimulus is working, for now, I see little reason they are going to change how they do business for us.

Europe will be in the sites next, and their relationship with China is likely to get more cozy as we isolate ourselves.

I'm simply shocked that people actually think this is a good idea.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not really a rationalization no matter what your political position. If Elon Musk is being dragged over the coals (rightly, IMHO) for some stupid, sloppy tweets that tipped Tesla's financial future, having one of the most influential people on earth babble nonstop, usually false when not entirely subjective BS about critical economic issues should be... criminal.

But nah, it's just the Toddler-in-Chief playing wid mommy's cell phone.
Not that I’d actually want to defend any of trump’s actions, but it’s a little different when Elon has a fiduciary duty and has to submit to the SEC. Trump doesn’t have either of those obligations. To say what Trump does in criminal...I’m not sure which law he’d be breaking.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:30 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
China is a master of meaningless negotiation, concealment of true motives and ability to maintain an illusion of progress while giving up absolutely nothing.

Our best administrations have had trouble with this.

This is not our best administration; it can't even outfox the second-rater Putin.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Not that I’d actually want to defend any of trump’s actions, but it’s a little different when Elon has a fiduciary duty and has to submit to the SEC. Trump doesn’t have either of those obligations.
Too boggled to reply to what may be the stupidest sentence I've ever read on C-D.

After all, DJT is only the steward of the entire national economy, not a few flaky tech-ween companies.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:40 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,426,909 times
Quote:
Too boggled to reply to what may be the stupidest sentence I've ever read on C-D.

After all, DJT is only the steward of the entire national economy, not a few flaky tech-ween companies.
Hmm yeah ok.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
So you think it's okay when DJT says stupid, pointless things that can cause major financial fluctuations? Okay.
So, you think this stuff has any lasting effect on the U.S. economy?

It will be forgotten in 3 days. We will get back to hitting yet another record-high in the stock market.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
I get the Vanguard "after the bell" emails.

Practically every day since Trump was elected, there is something about "uncertainty" involving trade in the write-up. I don't even understand WTF the administration is doing regarding trade & why they feel any of this is necessary.

As others have said - China is not so stupid as to think the current administration tactics will last forever. NAFTA took over 7 years to negotiate across three presidencies from 1987-1994 because there was broad agreement and continuity.

It's pretty much guaranteed that a future Democratic and Republican administration will discard whatever Trump has done.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:50 PM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I get the Vanguard "after the bell" emails.

Practically every day since Trump was elected, there is something about "uncertainty" involving trade in the write-up. I don't even understand WTF the administration is doing regarding trade & why they feel any of this is necessary.
Why do you even care what Trump does regarding trade? How does this affect you or the U.S. economy?

We have record low unemployment right now and the stock market is near record highs. That is all that matters.

I suggest tuning out the "news." It is irrelevant noise.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:55 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,228,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Why do you even care what Trump does regarding trade? How does this affect you or the U.S. economy?

We have record low unemployment right now and the stock market is near record highs. That is all that matters.

I suggest tuning out the "news." It is irrelevant noise.
Because I don't think he knows what he's doing & the long term effects could be severe.

I regard the stock market as having been a flatline for 1.5 years. The Dow has been floating at this 25-26k level since January 2018. I've only been making money off of dividends since then; stocks are flat.

As for unemployment, that's nice, but that is not "all that matters."

Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,198 times
Huge negative day so far. Dow is down a full quarter of one percent. Chinese markets were down about 5%.

I'm not a regular poster in this forum. Is OP suffering from TDS or was this just a singular poor prediction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics