Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don’t believe that was the goal. From what I have read ( and admittedly not a whole lot) Trump’s irritation is the amount of the trade deficit itself. If it were more balanced...then there would not be a problem. But who knows...maybe it is just political huff&puff.
that would mean that the guy who wants to bring manufacturing back to the US was correct (which i dont agree with). its my understanding that china does the manufacturing because they have a ton of low wage labor. i dont think that is really something that we want to expand, low wage labor. he would probably be better served focusing on reducing other costs and challenges that make it undesirable to manufacture in the country. then maybe we could increase the amount of automated manufacturing with less low wage earners.

Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that would mean that the guy who wants to bring manufacturing back to the US was correct (which i dont agree with). its my understanding that china does the manufacturing because they have a ton of low wage labor. i dont think that is really something that we want to expand, low wage labor. he would probably be better served focusing on reducing other costs and challenges that make it undesirable to manufacture in the country. then maybe we could increase the amount of automated manufacturing with less low wage earners.
I don’t view them as the same thing.

But yes it’s the wages. We can’t have it both ways. We can forgo being able to afford much of what we easily purchase today....or we can agree to take minimum wages back to the 70’s. I don’t know anyone that wants either of those things. So, China.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:10 PM

19,775 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
The 25% tariff is on $200 billion of $500 billion imports from China. China exports to the US is only 20% their worldwide exports. 25% x 20% x 40% = 2% impact on China’s exports, they can easily manipulate own currency exchange rate lower by a few penny to get around this, which probably already done last year. This isn’t going to hurt China.

American consumers, on the other hand, will pay every dollar and cents of Trump tariff plus stock market jittering. China stop buying soybeans to zero, that’s $16 billion a year loss.
That's just not how this will shake out if push comes to shove. We sort-of need them. They absolutely need us.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Quietude thinks we need to deal with China in a rational way that accommodates reality.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Not by pretending we can tell them to go away,
I agree completely.

Quote:
... or that we can change their innate government/business culture.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Neither has any chance of success
I agree completely.

Quote:
But who listens to him, right?
I'm listening. Seriously. I'm not playing a game of "gotcha."

What the heck do we do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics