Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,233,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Thanks for your reply. Maybe you read something very similar, but it was from another person and not the OP. As I said, he only has 2 posts.
It could have been posted under a different screen name. Maybe this account is just a sock puppet account recently created by someone who usually posts under another screen name.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:19 AM

37,491 posts, read 45,786,073 times
I also remember a story that was nearly identical to this one.
I don’t believe customers would not have sued the owner already.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM

12,051 posts, read 10,220,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yeah. OP invested a lot of time publishing his first fictional short story for our entertainment.

Anybody believe that the customer didn't file charges? Anybody believe that the owner would have kept this employee? FIVE people were bitten by the dog and NOBODY reported it?

Anybody who believes this claptrap, I gotta bridge to sell you.
agree

Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,569,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What a nonsense story. Who lets a dog bite 5 people and allows employees to drag people outside by the throat and threaten to smash their heads? No one.
Exactly, in addition if money is being taken out of the register this often you know.

OP just joined the board....hmmm....LOL.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:20 PM

22,626 posts, read 24,477,017 times
Can him, but be careful, this one sounds dangerous.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:31 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,686,621 times
Say bye bye

Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 PM

3,286 posts, read 1,792,649 times
I got a whiff of 'Essence du BoëufMerde' also.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:30 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,141,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN2102 View Post
My wife and I own a retail store. One of our employees has been with us for 15 years. He is now in his late 50s. He is more than an employee to us but is actually like a friend, since we've known him so long. He has never missed a day, never been late, never no called/no showed. He is in a manager position and we count on him to run things when we are away.

Starting last year I began receiving complaints from our customers about this employee. The complaints were all the same...the employee was "being rude". The complaints started coming more and more often. Then last month, the employee got into it with a customer about a lost receipt and the employee dragged the customer out of the office by his throat and threatened to pound his head into the pavement. I saw on several occasions where the employee told customers the computers were down and couldn't help them and to leave. I also saw him greet customers by saying "what do you want". The employee started bringing his dog to the office every day and let it run around the store unleashed. The dog was aggressive and it bit 5 customers, attacked one person who ended up in the hospital due to bites. Thank goodness we never got sued. We told the employee not to bring the dog and he told my wife "he goes where I go".

I started watching security video and saw the employee taking $ out of the cash register. Every day that he works he palms a $20 or a few $20 bills out of the register. He is so bold about it I'm assuming he has been doing it for years. He's not even the least bit nervous. I also saw him telling customers the cc machine is down and they had to pay cash, then the pockets the cash. I also saw him being extremely rude to customers and actually egging customers on to start verbally arguing with him and telling customers to go ahead and leave negative Yelp reviews. He is 6'4" 230lbs and very imposing and his demeanor was threatening to people.

I talked to my wife and told her I feel this employee has just gotten so comfortable he thinks he can do what he wants and think we are dependent on him. I say that we should terminate him, but my wife is all emotional about it and doesn't want him to lose his job. Looking for advice from other business owners here about what course of action we should take and any opinions. Thanks for your help.
So....Why did you allow this to continue for over a year? When you are in a business that depends upon customer satisfaction.....and you allow this to go on....that is very poor management on your part. He simply escalated what you'd already identified, he had no business working there, much less managing.

Now....what are you going to do about it? Asking here what to do, only reinforces that you're likely allowing this ludicrous behavior to continue. It's like that old saying...."You teach people how to treat you."

Fire his butt!

Old 05-17-2019, 05:11 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,367,191 times
Quote:
My wife and I own a retail store. One of our employees has been with us for 15 years. He is now in his late 50s. He is more than an employee to us but is actually like a friend, since we've known him so long. He has never missed a day, never been late, never no called/no showed. He is in a manager position and we count on him to run things when we are away.

Starting last year I began receiving complaints from our customers about this employee. The complaints were all the same...the employee was "being rude". The complaints started coming more and more often. Then last month, the employee got into it with a customer about a lost receipt and the employee dragged the customer out of the office by his throat and threatened to pound his head into the pavement. I saw on several occasions where the employee told customers the computers were down and couldn't help them and to leave. I also saw him greet customers by saying "what do you want". The employee started bringing his dog to the office every day and let it run around the store unleashed. The dog was aggressive and it bit 5 customers, attacked one person who ended up in the hospital due to bites. Thank goodness we never got sued. We told the employee not to bring the dog and he told my wife "he goes where I go".

I started watching security video and saw the employee taking $ out of the cash register. Every day that he works he palms a $20 or a few $20 bills out of the register. He is so bold about it I'm assuming he has been doing it for years. He's not even the least bit nervous. I also saw him telling customers the cc machine is down and they had to pay cash, then the pockets the cash. I also saw him being extremely rude to customers and actually egging customers on to start verbally arguing with him and telling customers to go ahead and leave negative Yelp reviews. He is 6'4" 230lbs and very imposing and his demeanor was threatening to people.

I talked to my wife and told her I feel this employee has just gotten so comfortable he thinks he can do what he wants and think we are dependent on him. I say that we should terminate him, but my wife is all emotional about it and doesn't want him to lose his job. Looking for advice from other business owners here about what course of action we should take and any opinions. Thanks for your help.
Very simple. I would start by sending him home on a suspension while you figure out what to do. This isn’t so you can figure out what to do but to start the process of firing the person. Since he stole its most likely grounds for immediate firing.

He is a immense liability to your livelihood.

On a more personal note do not make friends with people you do business with. It makes that much harder to make the best decision for yourself or your family. I am not friends with my boss or my tenants. We are friendly towards each other but we don’t hang out drink beer after work etc.
if I need to give notice to quit or if he has to lay me off I don’t want either of us to see it as more than business decision. If I need to raise the rent give notice to vacate I’m not going to paint myself in the friendship corner or have the friend card pulled.

Fire this person and start running your business.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:20 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,817,213 times
Quote:

Oh my God do you really need advice here? Seriously???? This can't be real, either you are trolling here or you have the IQ of a turnip. I stopped when you said he assaulted a customer.

On the slight change this isn't a fictional story and wasting our time: Remove him from your employment and your life immediately. Maybe also add in a trespassing warning so he doesn't step on your store property again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics