Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 AM

42,843 posts, read 26,253,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
And yet chick fil a, a company not started in California blows them all away with sales per store exceeding everyone else including McDonald’s and is only open 6 days a week instead of 7. In an out had 575 million in sales. Not sure why you had to throw the “California is great” comment.

The top three fast food franchises for yearly U.S. sales, according to the 2018 QSR Magazine Report, which breaks down sales numbers from the previous year, were McDonald’s, Starbucks and Subway. Here’s how the numbers shook out:

McDonald’s -- 14,036 units, $37,480,670,000 in sales, or $2,670,320 in sales per unit.
Starbucks -- 13,930 units, $13,167,610,000 in sales, or $945,270 in sales per unit.
Subway -- 25,908 units, $10,800,000,000 in sales, or $416,860 in sales per unit.
Now, if you were starting your own business, you’d be pretty happy with any of those numbers. The worst of them, Subway, is reeling in nearly $11 billion in sales each year.

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/320615
Here's some info on in-n-out:

Quote:
That loyalty is lucrative. An In-N-Out store outsells a typical McDonald’s nearly twice over, bringing in an estimated $4.5 million in gross annual sales versus McDonald’s $2.6 million. (In-N-Out, which is private, won’t comment on its financials.) In-N-Out’s profit margin (measured by earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) is an estimated 20%. That’s higher than In-N-Out’s East Coast rival Shake Shack (16%) and other restaurant chains that typically own their locations, like Chipotle (10.5%). Revenue should surpass $1 billion this year, roughly doubling in eight years, and the business is debt-free, according to the company. In-N-Out is conservatively worth $3 billion, and Snyder now owns virtually all of it after receiving chunks on her 25th, 30th and 35th birthdays (she got the last slice in 2017). https://www.forbes.com/sites/chloeso.../#3db9bab4b9cd
Chick-fil-a From your link:

Quote:
So, how did Chick-fil-A rank so highly in total U.S. sales? By earning more per store than any other restaurant. A lot more. In fact, the average Chick-fil-A unit made around $4,090,900 in 2017. https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/320615
Those are good numbers for both of those companies, given that chick-fil-a is only open 6 days the two are probably real close in per store revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I tried In 'n Out once. As burgers go, it was pretty average. I liked that it was a basic burger without a bunch of slop. Like all fast food burgers, the bun was not toasted. I liked that they did not salt the fries. I had my mini dachshund with me, and could feed her fries without killing her kidneys. The fries themselves were nothing to write home about. The menu was limited, but burgers are their business model. Forget a crispy chicken or fish sandwich, they don't sell them.
The buns most certainly are toasted, in fact you can request that your bun is "extra toasted"

Old 05-20-2019, 01:49 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features...chains-compare

$113k? Wow, that is quite a salary to manage a fast food restaurant, no need to get Bachelor's or Masters degrees in rocket science accumulating 6 digits of student debt and where wages are falling like a rock due to globalization and outsourcing, become an In N'Out manager instead!
These are almost all in areas with high CoL. You can make $60 running a McDonald's franchise in an area where a 3 bed / 2 bath costs $120k. Why would you think $113k is a great deal in an area where homes of this size regularly fetch $1M+?

Old 05-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
exactly. I live in Los Angeles area and make around that amount. If you have a family then 113k is not going to be enough to own a house, probably not enough to own a condo in a area with good schools and not enough have anything left over to save towards retirement. If you are young and single it could be a decent salary but for others it's barely middle class. I'm sure In N Out managers in AZ/NV are making closer to that base of $83k. I will say that In N Out and Chick Fil A have the best and seemingly happiest crews I've ever seen in a fast food restaurant so managing one of those probably isn't nearly as stressful as managing a McDonalds or Taco Bell.

Chick Fil A is really the best deal. You can become a franchise operator for $10k investment and the operators in big markets like LA can make over $1 million/year. But getting a franchise is very competitive and nearly impossible.
I don't think that figure is accurate:

Quote:
Chick-fil-A pays for the land, the construction and the equipment. It then rents everything to the franchisee for 15% of the restaurant's sales plus 50% of the pretax profit remaining. Operators, who are discouraged from running more than a few restaurants, take home $100,000 a year on average from a single outlet.
https://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0...l#3bf5f7de5971

Old 05-20-2019, 04:05 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,821,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think that figure is accurate:
It's true. I went through the application process in the past. It's a $10k investment if you get selected. You get a base salary and Chick Fil A takes 15% of sales for rent and equipment and 50% of pre tax profit. The average take home is about $100k but average store sales is $4.4 million/year. So operators of very high volume stores can make around $1 million/year after Chick takes their cut

Old 05-21-2019, 10:32 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
And here's the kicker: food at a diner is only about 20% more expensive and that's with leaving a tip. You'll likely get a just as large if not larger portion, better nutrition, and infinitely better quality.

A "meal" at most fast food places is between $6-9, not exactly cheap...
I'm looking at the menu at a diner, and a burger is $9. A cheeseburger is $10. An Aussie burger is $13.39, a Cajun Bacon BleuBerger is almost $12, and both a Turkey Burger and a Veggie Burger is $10.59. That comes with your choice of french fries or pinto beans or pasta salad. A soft drink is $2.69.

So, it seems a "meal" would be in the neighborhood of $13-15 plus tax & tip, so say $17-19.

That seems a bit more than 20% more expensive than a burger/fries/soft drink "meal" at the fast food chains. Of course, at the diner you can get more healthful options.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm looking at the menu at a diner, and a burger is $9. A cheeseburger is $10. An Aussie burger is $13.39, a Cajun Bacon BleuBerger is almost $12, and both a Turkey Burger and a Veggie Burger is $10.59. That comes with your choice of french fries or pinto beans or pasta salad. A soft drink is $2.69.

So, it seems a "meal" would be in the neighborhood of $13-15 plus tax & tip, so say $17-19.

That seems a bit more than 20% more expensive than a burger/fries/soft drink "meal" at the fast food chains. Of course, at the diner you can get more healthful options.
When I'm going for a burger healthy does not cross my mind. The reason I will go to a real restaurant is the quality of the food, real servers, availability of beer, and TV screens with sports playing. Well worth paying more for good food and an enjoyable experience. Fast food is for road trips when you need to grab a quick meal at the drive-thru and keep driving while eating. Even then, In & Out is out, too slow with the long lines, and McD gives me indigestion. I prefer Carl's Jr., Wendy's or Arby's.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:53 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
The buns most certainly are toasted, in fact you can request that your bun is "extra toasted"
Ah, but you have to wink with the correct eye for odd and even days, and know the secret code word.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Ah, but you have to wink with the correct eye for odd and even days, and know the secret code word.
nope, all you have to do is a google search to find out the variations you can ask for at In-n-Out. I'm not sure why you want to claim that In-n-Out has some kind of cult following. I think Taco Bell is closer to achieving that distinction; drive by any Taco Bell late at night and watch the stoners binge on $5 meal deals with dorito flavored taco shells and extra fake cheese, reminiscent of a scene from the Walking Dead

Old 05-22-2019, 09:51 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you want to claim that In-n-Out has some kind of cult following.
I think "secret menu" says it all, but it being one with Coors beer before 1980 or whatever or Krispy Kreme before their failed national drive helps.

They're just okay-good burgers... but not being able to get them in the next state over makes them holy and grailed instead of grilled.

Me, I'm regretting never getting a White Castle burgerette before I left the Northeast. Now there's the pinnacle of pinnacle burgers, y'know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics