Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Didn’t she say failure to yield? Per traffic laws both parties have responsibility in cases such as merging onto a highway. The car merging can’t pull out right in front of someone, but the cars on the highway can’t run you off the highway to prevent you getting in, either. It could also have been situation where the other cars lane was ending, and OP wouldn’t let her merge in and neither would give in.
Maybe she did, or didn't. Have hard time following her posts, so may have missed something.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:25 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
This is clearly a case of "never a lender or borrower be".

There are two schools of thought about insurance, and it seems insurance companies will used the one that benefits them directly so they aren't out any money.

1 is the insurance follows the vehicle, and 2, the insurance follows the driver.

Heres two personal examples i know of:
1) long ago when i was young and foolish, i had a roommate who got a DUI. His license was suspended, but ge had to get to work and mandatory AA meetings. I drove him around to all he needed to do. But, one day i saud lets use your vehicle and your gas and mileage. Big mistake. As Snoopy would type "it was a dark and stormy night...". It was. And i drove him somewhere. Well tge storm had broken a branch on a roadside tree. I didnt see it hanging there until 2 feet from it hitting the windshield. He didnt see it either. It broke tge windshield and it had to be replaced. $150. We turned it into his insurance and got it replaced. Hus insurance went after my insurance to get reimbursed. My rates went up $400/yr for 4 years. As an aside i told my insurance company we turned it into his, he had, just couldn't drive it with a suspended license. I was yold tten that the insurance follows the driver, so therefore hus company subrogated mine. I was puseed and learned then that: a) i would not drive another person's vehicle unless insued on it and b) i would never let anyone drive my vehicle unless insured on it.

2) when my now spouse and i got together, i strongly suggested and we did each other to the policies we each had to avoid this problem. When we got married it was no problem, and it didn't cost us extra to be listed on the policies. We eventually realized it was stupid to have 2 companies and two policies, so we combined to one policy. Well fast forward to 3 years ago, my spouse was driving my vehicle as i had just had my neck fused two days before we went out, spouse driving my vehicle and we got rearended at a stop sign we were stopped at by a woman who hit us hard going 40 mph. My shpulder got jarred into the side window, and the whole back end of my vehicle had to be rebuilt. She panicked not wanting us to turn it in because it was her mother's vehicle, she wasnt insured on it, and her mother didn't know she had taken the vehicle!!. We said "not our problem lady", and called 911. I had to go to the the hospital to have my neck checked out as i just had surgery 2 days before to fuse my neck, and have physical therapy for the shoulder injury. When we went to our agent to do the paperwork, the first thing the other vehicles insurance said was " were not paying youll have to go after the drivers insurance " ( my spouse kept name not changing to mine so it was obvious the driver and vehicle owners names did not match). My agent said " but (spouse) is ON tge policy. As the cop said in a rearending situation the driver who hits from behind is always at fault., but NY is a nofault state. It ended up the insurance on the other vehicle had to pay to repair my vehicle, but my insurance had to pay my medical. The other vehicles insurance THOUGHT they could get away with not paying as they THOUGHT my spouse was separate insurance, in which case the insurance would have followed my spouse. Since my spouse was on the same policy, the otger vehicles insurance had to sing a different tune and pay up.

3) my parents neighbor had an adult daughter a year youbger than i. After high school and college she moved 5 states away. She came home and her old friends wanted to go out. Her parents lent her their car, as she didn't have a rental. She was backing out of her parent's driveway and hit a motorcycle that came out of nowhere. Bike driver seriously injured, and his bike was totaled, abd the car damaged. The daughters insurance would not cover her out of state. The parent's insurance tried to say The insurance should follow the daughter/driver. Long story short, the bike and his insurance sued and the parents lost EVERYTHING. they lost their bank accounts and retirement and the house with pool. They were alliwed to keep $1500 in furniture and clothing and one months of his pension and SS. EVERYTHING ELSE Was seized and sold off. The bikes insurance said the insurance follows the parents car, and since the award was higher than coverage the parents had, they lost everything.

Lessons learned: never drive a vehicle you aren't insured on, never let anyone else drive your vehicle if not insured on it, and carry HIGH liability coverage AND get a liability umbrella policy, which will cover you for/above homeowners and vehicles insurance. The umbrella will cover other sorts of liability too, but primarily covers what the regular policies wont cover.

OP, to echo others, you ARE screwed, as they will go after any money or assets you may have and go for judgment to garnish any of your pay for whatever they can get and go after you till they get it.

The reason it doesn't matter who was at fault is that the OP WASN'T insured and wasn't an authorized driver. Theres no way to get around that. That makes the OP liable for whatever they can get. Since OP wasnt authorized insured driver, their contention will be that the car would not have been on the road at that time in that spot.

What im supprised at is that the person who rented the car and allowed the OP to drive the car isnt also hauled into court and sued as that person was in control of the rental and should not have let an unauthorized driver drive it. The OP or the other insurance may be able to go after the renter, too.

The OP can try counter suing for the injuries and/or sue the one who unauthorizedly lent the car to OP, and that person had a contract with the rental company that they would be the ONLY driver. If the OP goes after the lender, thpugh whatever relationship they had will be destroyed. And im NOT sure the OP will be allowed to sue the lender, but the rental company may as its breach of contract.

OP contact the legal aid society in your area. If you dont know where or how, dial tge 3 digits 2-1-1. Those 3 digits inly...no need to dial an area code and no need fir a prefix, just 211. Ask to be put in touch with legal aid society for low income people

Or cough up the money somehow for an attorney to represent you. They can advise you far better than we can

Get an attorney how ever you have to, youll need one amd still may lose everything and have garnishment issued on your paycheck.

You're going to NEED an attorney , DO NOT try to defend yourself as you will most likely lose.

The person who should be held responsible is the lender. They had no business lending a car to an unisured unauthorized driver, and breached the contract with the rental company that should clearly state it is to be driven ONLY by authorized drivers.

OP take it as HUGE lesson learned, get an attorney promptly and then buy yourself a liability umbrella policy that MAY cover such things in the future. It MAY refuse if you had one, to cover you as you were an unauthorized driver.

Rental companies, contracts and insurances are a fickle matter, even WITH an authorized driver in case of accident. Your own policy covering rentals, credit card insurance on rentals rented with that card and of course tge high cost of insurance through the rental company insurer can all get confusing as to how an accident is covered as those insurance companies will all go after the weakest link to get reimbursed money they are out.

Insurance companies are in the business to make money, and will go after whomever they can to get reimbursed so they are not out money.

Its a fickle business, but in the end the company is always going to win.

So to recap again OP:

Get thee an attorney however you have to. Do not try to fivht on your own. Countersue for lost wages, pain and suffering. You might be able to get a judgment for what you will owe when the insurance company after you gets a judgment against you.

Best of luck to you, and really this is lessons learned. Hope you take that seriously to heart.

Never a lender nor a borrower be ( unless you are authorized and insured!)

Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 AM

326 posts, read 200,597 times
I'm stuck on the thought that the car was totaled, yet op states both cars have been repaired.
Most rentals are fairly new and a lot of damage had to have occurred to be considered totaled.
My insurance states that even though not on policy my care is covered if I allow my kid from out of state drive my car,or if I drive my kids' cars.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
I'm stuck on the thought that the car was totaled, yet op states both cars have been repaired.
Most rentals are fairly new and a lot of damage had to have occurred to be considered totaled.
My insurance states that even though not on policy my care is covered if I allow my kid from out of state drive my car,or if I drive my kids' cars.
Well that would be a first for me

I learned the hard way in two states that only drivers listed on a policy should be driving the vehicle.

And to be sure both myself and my spouse are listed as the authorized drivers on a rental, even if it means paying a fee to add a driver.

And to let Noone drive my vehicle who is not on the policy OR who has coverage such as a repair shop or dealer.

Heck. I dont even let valets drive my vehicle. Id rather walk than risk it. And the valets may actually have insurance coverage, but i doubt restaurants are paying for such insurance on their valets.

Take a risk and if you get stung, dont complain about it later.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:18 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtrynasurvive View Post
It was a rental car I was driving at the time, and I was not listed as a driver in the insurance. I didn't own a car at the time so no I did not have insurance.
They are going to beat you like a red headed stepchild.

Insurance investigators are tough.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:04 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Did we mention, "get a Lawyer"?
I wish she would come back or her friend that told her to come here would post to help us understand what happened. She said she tried to find an attorney "to take her case" then says she thought everything was ok. I'd like to know if she tried to find an attorney specifically to sue the other driver for her broken arm. As of now we still don't know what she originally wanted the attorney for.

I was T-boned by a furniture delivery truck 2 years ago. They were parked on the wrong side of the street. I watched the passenger close the back door, I wasn't even going 15 because I had to turn in 25 feet in front of them into my grandson's driveway. I was just starting my left turn when the passenger jumped into the truck. The driver was looking down where a center compartment would be, next thing I know the truck jumped out of the spot, coming straight for my car doors on the drivers side. I watched him finally look up as he was about to hit me but he couldn't stop in time. My pristine 15 year old SUV was totaled. The other driver didn't get a ticket either even though he was parked and now driving on the wrong side of the street. I had no issues finding an attorney to take my injury case. I can't understand why the OP can't find an accident injury attorney.

Anyway, I think we may have lost her. She hasn't logged in since 1am yesterday.

Quote:
Yes I'm absolutely sure no one's listed at fault on the police report. The cop didn't issue any tickets and stated, let the insurance figure it out. YES I HAVE LICENSE!!!

I was the only person injured in the accident (fractured my arm) yes there was significant damage done to the rental car. It was totaled. Let me be clear the other drive HIT ME!!!!! I have been trying to find and attorney to take my case but its been over a year since this happened and thought everything was fine. The rental car was covered and fixed, so really don't understand why I'm being sued.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
My insurance states that even though not on policy my car is covered if I allow my kid from out of state drive my car, or if I drive my kids' cars.
This is typical; most policies have definitions of "covered driver" and "covered vehicle" that provide coverage if you let someone use your car on occasion or if you use someone else's. It gets more complicated when there are multiple insurers involved. If I let you use my car and you're in at at-fault accident, I'm not sure if your insurance pays first or if mine pays and then they go after yours in a "subrogation" action. I hope the poster who used to settle auto claims will enlighten us.

Anyway, it's possible that either the rental car company's insurer or the insurer of the person on the rental contract paid the damages but then came after the OP in a subrogation action because she was the driver.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
It was a rental car I was driving at the time, and I was not listed as a driver in the insurance. I didn't own a car at the time so no I did not have insurance.
If you had no insurance, you had no business driving the car period.

I'm having a lot of trouble feeling sorry for you.

I'm sure you don't think you're at fault in this accident. My experience with uninsured people is that they never think they are responsible for causing an accident.

See a lawyer. I don't know. Your only solution here maybe to file bankruptcy.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
We have 3 large dealers in my metro areas that specialize in Salvage / Rebuilt titles and it’s huge business. They seem to do quality work but the before pictures look pretty crazy in terms of what they can make look like new.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:15 AM

21,932 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Because YOU WERE DRIVING when you weren't supposed to be driving as you weren't listed as an authorized driver!!! You never answered that part.

Even if the person who rented the car got rental car insurance, if he/she didn't list you as an authorized driver I doubt that his/her rental car insurance would cover YOU.

So again: why were you driving when you weren't listed as an authorized driver??!!! THAT seems to be your biggest mistake, and I can't fathom why you would do that. Sorry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
When you rent s car you have to tell them everyone who will be driving it and their license etc. sometimes it costs extra for each driver. I’ve done this twice. My niece and I drove from an airport in Chicago to our Aunt and Uncle 2 hours away. I had the credit card so had to reserve it, but I don’t like to drive in places I’ve never been so she drive. I think we paid $25 extra a day to add her as a driver and she had to show her license.

Allstate might have been the car renters personal auto insurer. Most people don’t buy the car rental insurance because either their own car insurance or credit card covers rentals. But you can’t just let anyone drive it. The insurance covers the person who rented it.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Maybe she did, or didn't. Have hard time following her posts, so may have missed something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I wish she would come back or her friend that told her to come here would post to help us understand what happened. She said she tried to find an attorney "to take her case" then says she thought everything was ok. I'd like to know if she tried to find an attorney specifically to sue the other driver for her broken arm. As of now we still don't know what she originally wanted the attorney for.

I was T-boned by a furniture delivery truck 2 years ago. They were parked on the wrong side of the street. I watched the passenger close the back door, I wasn't even going 15 because I had to turn in 25 feet in front of them into my grandson's driveway. I was just starting my left turn when the passenger jumped into the truck. The driver was looking down where a center compartment would be, next thing I know the truck jumped out of the spot, coming straight for my car doors on the drivers side. I watched him finally look up as he was about to hit me but he couldn't stop in time. My pristine 15 year old SUV was totaled. The other driver didn't get a ticket either even though he was parked and now driving on the wrong side of the street. I had no issues finding an attorney to take my injury case. I can't understand why the OP can't find an accident injury attorney.

Anyway, I think we may have lost her. She hasn't logged in since 1am yesterday.
OP is being purposefully evasive in her responses, as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics