Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 05:19 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Who wears dresses today on a regular basis?
Yeah I think that’s the issue. Dressier wardrobes just aren’t in demand anymore. In most of the offices I’ve been in during this decade, every office has been business casual or casual. Most have been at the lower end of business casual, and my current office is basically anything goes except shorts or spaghetti straps/tube tops. There is a range though and some people do dress up, but it’s certainly not required. There is no discernible split between position type and who dresses up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There is no discernible split between position type and who dresses up.
MAD Magazine put it well, probably fifty years ago:

WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT, you wear whatever you have and ignore fashion.

WHEN YOU'RE JUST GETTING BY, you wear the stylish stuff... carried by the local discount store.

WHEN YOU'RE MAKING IT, you wear the latest styles and follow every trend.

WHEN YOU'RE ON TOP, whatever you wear is the style.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:21 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
It's a shame because they were one of the few places that sold clothes made for grown up women.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It's a shame because they were one of the few places that sold clothes made for grown up women.
Just as it was a shame when JCPenney got Apple-ized. I knew several women who routinely bought basic clothes from their extended talls line; I understand it is nearly impossible for a woman who is tall or has a long torso or arms to find any kind of form-fitting blouses. With JCP out of the game, there are next to no suppliers for this market.

And now no clothes for women who no longer wish to wear mall styles.

But, I guess, who cares about all those old, oddly-shaped women anyway? Or anyone outside the idealized 28yo of any gender who wears what the Kardashians tell them to?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Sad that people will be losing their jobs but I was never a fan of Dress Barn - they didn't carry my size (except in tops), while some had a Petite section, the smallest size wasn't my size and I found that what they did sell was a little pricey and too trendy. The employees (at least in this area) didn't seem to care whether you purchased, needed help, etc. - Do wish Petite Sophisticate would come back though.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
People don't want to buy all these clothes anymore. After the recession years, people learned to live with less, and found out it wouldn't kill them.

At any rate, I never cared for the name "Dress Barn". I just assumed the clothing would be unsophisticated.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:08 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
People don't want to buy all these clothes anymore. After the recession years, people learned to live with less, and found out it wouldn't kill them.

At any rate, I never cared for the name "Dress Barn". I just assumed the clothing would be unsophisticated.
I remember a Dress Barn that was a big open space with racks of stuff and it was a very unsophisticated place to shop, but you could get a heck of a bargain. I got my dress for high school graduation in a Dress Barn that really did look sort of like a barn. One of the first Dress Barns really was in a barn and I guess they used the theme for a while. I can see how the name is removed from what they've become now.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:05 AM

56 posts, read 63,849 times
What's going on with these failing retail chains is their websites. Let's face facts. Online shopping continues to grow as traffic problems increase, fuel prices rise, and with the proliferation of smartphones.

This is the reality of things. People are going to shop where it's cheapest, most convenient, and where they can get the merchandise they need for the lowest price, easiest searching for that merchandise, and cheap delivery.

This is because although employment is high, wages are not that high, and most people work for the dollars they get.

If the retailers want to compete, they can. But they have to remove their heads from their behinds when it comes to online sales at their websites. Clumsy, poorly-constructed sales sites that fail to compete with Amazon haven't got a chance.

The same demise happened to the folks who invested in buggy whips after Henry Ford came along.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Man here,

But I have some input on this matter. General input.

Retail chains (specifically clothing chains) keep closing because commercial real estate rents are through the roof. Everyone thinks they can get a Starbucks, Chipotle, and Panera in each of their strip malls paying five figures a month to rent. Not because the SPACE is worth it, but because "they make so much money, what's it to them?"

Except:

"Commercial Observer reports that a Starbucks at the corner of Fifth Avenue and West 33rd Street was shuttered after they declined to release the space for $1 million a year."

https://www.businessinsider.com/star...creases-2015-3

-------------------------------------------------------------

I have a friend who works at a Starbucks in OK (drastically different than NYC) and the take is roughly $40k a week. Now, is the space WORTH $5-10k a month? Probably not.

I don't know what you call this part of economics... I've always heard that you charge what the market will bear. Well, this is beyond charging what the space is worth, it's charging what the space is worth to THIS TENANT. By accepting leases like this, it gives commercial property owners validation that they can expect that for every unit. Driving out franchises who have always had lesser margins.

Not everyone can be an Apple store, Tiffany's, or Jamba Juice. And not everyone will. But we're suffocating everyone who's not.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Payless is still in its final stages. Now Dress Barn. Gymborree closed. Wonder who is next?

https://www.ctpost.com/news/ctpost/a...AsHb-JEVA9cqbo
there is a dress barn by my office. i thought it was for plus sized women until someone pointed out how offensive that would be. i agreed, it was a stupid assumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics